Latest post Mon, Feb 24 2014 9:19 PM by Kenton.VanNatten. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 19 2014 12:21 PM

• Yellow Umbrella
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 25 2013
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 29
    • Points 435

Moving Avid Media Files and re-pointing Avid to them

Hey,

I have an MC project with its corresponding Avid Media Files folder on the root of an external hard drive. I would like to create a new folder on this drive and then drop these media files inside it. 

How do I then re-point Media Composer to associate this moved Avid Media Files folder with my project?

I am new to Media Composer. 

MacBook Pro 17" 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 16 GB Memory Mac OSX 10.9 Pro tools 11.1.2 Media Composer 7.0.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 19 2014 1:35 PM In reply to

Re: Moving Avid Media Files and re-pointing Avid to them

\Avid MediaFiles\MXF\1 "must" be at the root level of the volume.  It cannot be inside another folder.

When the media is in the correct location, it automtically relinks.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Wed, Feb 19 2014 2:17 PM In reply to

• Yellow Umbrella
    • Not Ranked
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 29
    • Points 435

I misunderstood how the Avid Medial File system worked. I am wanting to work on several different projects with all their media stored on the same external hard drive. Can you sugged an appropriate workflow?

This person suggests renaming folders at AvidMediaFiles/MXF/... to something more meaningful to correspond with a project. For example AvidMediaFiles/MXF/Project 1 or AvidMediaFiles/MXF/Project 2.
    http://robgwilson.com/2011/02/16/quick-avid-tip-rename-your-mxf-folders/

Is this an appropriate workflow? If I carry out this renaming will Avid automatically detect the change? Or I will have to do some pointing? 

MacBook Pro 17" 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 16 GB Memory Mac OSX 10.9 Pro tools 11.1.2 Media Composer 7.0.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 19 2014 3:09 PM In reply to

• Richard Lowe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, May 18 2012
    • Leeds, UK
    • Posts 6
    • Points 80

One method would be to create seperate partitions on your external disk, perhaps named after your individual projects. Each partition could then have the \AvidMediafiles\MXF\1 folder. Just mount the partition required for the current project.

• Wed, Feb 19 2014 3:26 PM In reply to

• Yellow Umbrella
    • Not Ranked
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 29
    • Points 435

Thanks. Is there any way of doing this without having to create partitions? I am looking for a quick and easy option. Would the mehtod I suggested above work? I feel partitions would be inappropriate and a little bit of an overkill in my particular sittuation.

• Wed, Feb 19 2014 3:27 PM In reply to

There are some rules to remember with Avid media files:

The folder structure from the root must be maintained.

Within the MXF folder subfolders can exist.

MC will always create new media into the 1 folder unless it is full in which case it moves onto the 2 folder then the 3 folder etc.

A full folder is determined by the file count not size (I think it's currently 5000 files but it's better to keep the file count down to 2500 files)

Avid can read the media and databases from any folder with a vlaid folder name (alpha numeric) but can only update the databases in folders with numeric names (1, 101, 10001, etc)

In a shared storage setup the folder names reflect the workstation names (normally)

So it is possible to "manage" media files but you have to follow the rules.

I'd suggest looking at media mover.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Wed, Feb 19 2014 3:49 PM In reply to

• Yellow Umbrella
    • Not Ranked
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 29
    • Points 435

So therefore if I wnated to start a project called PROJECT123 and have meaningful folder name in the Avid Media Files folder I could do the following:

1. Create an PROJECT123 project and make it shared
    2. AMA link and then transcode media to external hard drive
    3. Go inside this hard drive and create a folder withint he Avid Media files caled PROJECT123
    4. Drag the numeric folder containing the MXF files into PROJECT123

From now on, whenver I add more files to this project they will always go into the numeric folder at AvidMediaFiles/ PROJECT123/...

If I wnated to repeat this for another proejct I just go through the same steps? and would therefore have tow subfolders in Avid Media Files: PROJECT123 and PROJECT 1234? Is this correct? 

• Wed, Feb 19 2014 3:56 PM In reply to

• Ben Wilson
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 10 2010
    • Columbia, SC
    • Posts 218
    • Points 2,500

Not quite.  Refer back to Pat's previous post.  ALL new media will ALWAYS go to the \Avid MediaFiles\MXF\1 folder unless it is full.  Then it will go to the next numbered subfolder with available space.  AVID wil NOT refresh the media databases in any subfolders that have been renamed with Alpha characters.

IF you were on a PC you could trick the system into thinking a subfolder on the drive is actually a drive, but I don't know if you can do that on a Mac.

Several. 1x MC7.0.4 HP z800 dual XEON x5650-2.66GHz 12MB Ram Quadro FX3800 NitrisDX. 4 TB GSPEEDes storage. 2x MC 7.0.4 HP z420 MatroxLE. GSpeedQ 8TB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 19 2014 4:46 PM In reply to

• Isaac T.
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 9 2006
    • New York / Knoxville, TN
    • Posts 748
    • Points 8,825

Don't try to manage media manually by remembering (or tracking) which project went to which folder. When you import, transcode, or whatever, Media Composer puts it wherever it wants anyway. 

Try this:

Dump your MXF's into new numbered folders under "../Avid MediaFiles/MXF". For example:

../Avid MediaFiles/MXF/2
    ../Avid MediaFiles/MXF/3

Then use Media Mover or MDV to sift out projects when you archive. AE's can also use this to send projects to other editors.

Here's how to get MDV going in OS X. (Still works under Mavericks.) And if you plan on using MDV, keep your project names 39 characters or less.

Mid-2010 Mac Pro • 2018 MacBook Pro [view my complete system specs]

isaact.co | Twitter | Instagram | Vimeo

Writer: The Frame.io WORKFLOW Guide - http://workflow.frame.io/

Post Workflow Consultant - https://isaact.co/

• Wed, Feb 19 2014 8:36 PM In reply to

Because you're on a Mac, you could also make use of Symbolic Links.

Create an Avid MediaFiles folder on your drive (you don't need an MXF folder at this point)

next, Make a folder named PROJECT123-MediaFiles 

inside that make an MXF folder

next Open Terminal and type "ln -s" (minus the quotes) 

now drag the MXF folder into the Terminal window

Then drag the Avid MediaFiles folder into the Terminal

hit Enter

you should now have an MXF folder inside your Avid MediaFiles folder that looks like an Alias or shortcut. That MXF lives inside your PROJECT123-MediaFiles folder.

when you have to work on PROJECT456, simply delete the MXF shortcut and make a new one from the steps above. 

there is a plug-in available that adds "Make Symbolic Link" to your right-click context menu, you could google for it. But using the Terminal command is just as quick once you've gotten the hang of it.  

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Wed, Feb 19 2014 8:52 PM In reply to

Here is an excerpt from a document I wrote up for one of my clients:

----

Create a Symbolic Link to another folder 

Scenario: Avid requires that the Avid MediaFiles folder live at the root level of the hard 
    drive in order for it to read the media, however a situation may present itself 
    where that is not the case. Avid will not be able to read the media because the MediaFiles folder is buried in 
    subfolders. Creating a Symbolic Link is a way to trick Avid into thinking the MediaFiles folder lives at the root of 
    the drive. 

Use the Terminal command: ln -s (source) (destination) 

An example:

On DRIVE_XYZ there is a folder named Archive_05. 
    Inside Archive_05 is an Avid MediaFiles folder. I want Avid to access the media that is 
    inside this folder. 

In Terminal, I type: 
    ln -s and drag the source folder (ie, DRIVE_XYZ/Archive_05/Avid MediaFiles/MXF) into the Terminal window. Then, I drag the destination folder into the Terminal window. (ie, DRIVE_XYZ/Avid MediaFiles)

It should look something like:

ln -s /Volumes/DRIVE_XYZ/Archive_05/Avid\ MediaFiles/MXF /Volumes/DRIVE_XYZ/Avid\ MediaFiles

(I colored the Source Path yellow and the Destination Path orange for clarity)

When you press Enter, you should see a folder 
    named MXF appear inside the Avid MediaFiles folder at the root level of DRIVE_XYZ. This new MXF folder will have an 
    Alias icon on it as it is now a shortcut to the MXF folder inside DRIVE_XYZ/Avid MediaFiles

Warning: Any media that you create and send to 
    DRIVE_XYZ will get placed inside the Archive_05/Avid MediaFiles/MXF folder, so if 
    that is not your intention remember to kill the Linked folder before writing 
    any media to the drive. You can kill the 
    link by Trashing the shortcut folder.

DO NOT TRASH THE ORIGINAL MXF FOLDER!!

-----

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

• Thu, Feb 20 2014 12:31 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,267
    • Points 218,975
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Daniel Finn:
    I am wanting to work on several different projects with all their media stored on the same external hard drive. Can you sugged an appropriate workflow?

You can find information on tutorials that describe how to manage such a setup HERE

Start by watching 20_00 by clicking on the "Pre amble" button

Regards

Douglas

PS. if you have any questions about the tutorials please email me at douglas@gaijin-eyes.com

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Thu, Feb 20 2014 11:46 AM In reply to

• Yellow Umbrella
    • Not Ranked
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 29
    • Points 435

Thanks. Symbolic links definatley sound like the way forward in my sittuation. I do admit it took me two or three reads to get my head around it but I now fully understand.

Will be fast and easy to impliment and will just mean an extra 30 seconds or so before I open Media Composer. Also means I won't have to install any apps or plug-ins.

I am used to working within Avid Pro Tools whereby all projects / session are self contained and there isn't that much need for any additional media management. Was just a little bit confusing starting with Media Composer as file structures are drastically different.

Great solution! 

• Thu, Feb 20 2014 2:37 PM In reply to

Happy to help!

• Thu, Feb 20 2014 5:44 PM In reply to

• Isaac T.
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 9 2006
    • New York / Knoxville, TN
    • Posts 748
    • Points 8,825

Sounds cool. I wonder:

1. How would this affect project archiving? Could MediaMover or MDV resolve the symbolic links?

2. What if the source drive isn't fast enough (like those small USB portables)? Wouldn't you have to dump it to a high-performance drive anyway?

Mid-2010 Mac Pro • 2018 MacBook Pro [view my complete system specs]

isaact.co | Twitter | Instagram | Vimeo

Writer: The Frame.io WORKFLOW Guide - http://workflow.frame.io/

Post Workflow Consultant - https://isaact.co/

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller