Latest post Tue, Feb 11 2014 9:12 AM by Ervz Tia (Tikboy). 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jan 26 2014 7:14 AM

Confused [*-)] EXPORTING A LONG HD PROJECT - HELP

I need help on how to export a long project (70-80 minutes in HD) as a video file that will play on the internet, fit on a DVD and not be ENORMOUS...but still be in HD and look good.  Can you give me any step-by-step instructions on how to do this? 

The footage was shot on a Canon 5D Mark iii camera and imported at DNxHD 145 (broadcast standard) HD at 1920x1080.

I have never needed to export a project this long, so thank you for your input.  I did an audio & video mixdown of the first 10-minutes and exported it as an HDV file.  Just 10-minutes ended-up being a little over 2-GB!

Any help and guidance as to how to accomplish this with my system would be GREATLY appreciated.  I figure that wedding videographers do this all the time.  I just don't know how to create a file in HD whose file size is small enough to fit on a DVD or upload to the internet.

Thank you for your time and help!

I'm running Avid MC 5.5 on a DELL Precision M6500 with a Windows 7 Professional 64-bit operating system with 8GB of RAM.  Unfortunately, I am unfamiliar with Sorenson Squeeze--don't know if it's insalled as part of my Avid 5.5 program...

Media Composer v.5.5.1 on my DELL laptop (running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit). Shoot on: Canon 5D Mark iii that records .MOV files at 1080/30p in IPB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 26 2014 2:39 PM In reply to

Re: EXPORTING A LONG HD PROJECT - HELP

You can't make a DVD in HD.  The DVD standard is SD-only, if you're talking about making a DVD that would play in a DVD player.

Or do you mean that you want to export a file, to burn on a DVD?  This wouldn't play on a DVD player.  You'd basically use the disc the same way you'd use a flash drive - but if you do that, why not just use a flash drive?  More capacity, faster transfer than DVD-to-computer.

Anyway, Sorenson Squeeze comes standard with all retail purchases of Avid Media Composer, and it's been that way for years.  Back in MC 5.5, however, it did NOT come with the Academic version.  Same goes for Avid DVD; if you are on Windows, and have a retail copy of MC 5.5, you have it, and can use it.

That said, let us know if you have it.  That'll make the task easier.

The short version of the workflow is:

Export a QuickTime REFERENCE of your timeline from Avid.  This generates a tiny QuickTime MOV file, which points to existing raw and render media.  If you select "Mixdown audio" in the export options, it'll also generate an audio file, alongside that MOV.  This is a good way to ensure that all your audio edits are "locked in" - as long as you keep the two files together, your MOV reference file will automatically link to that audio file.  If you bring the MOV into Squeeze or Avid DVD, it'll automatically include that audio.

So, bring the QT REF into Avid DVD, and go from there.  I'm on a Mac, so I'm not familiar with the particulars.

As for Squeeze, bring the QT REF into that, and for the "easy" way, use one of the presets - there should be a decent MP4 YouTube-specific preset in there.

The QT REF export works best because you avoid an unnecessary re-encode; HDV export is practically useless in your situation; it's a pretty harsh down-conversion, which you're then down-converting again for both DVD and YouTube.  It's also much slower than exporting as QT REF.  Using the QT REF uses your existing DNxHD material, and your render files, without generating new media.  On a rendered sequence, it will be almost instantaneous.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 26 2014 3:37 PM In reply to

• KevinG
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jan 26 2014
    • Posts 1
    • Points 15

For internet use I would export as a Quicktime H.264 1080P (You could also probably get away with 720P) (85% - 95% Quality and with compressed audio)

If you're using the dvd to deliver the file itself you might be able to use the same settings.

If you're burning it to a dvd any program should be able to take the file and burn it (in SD) to the dvd for quick play.

• Tue, Jan 28 2014 1:59 AM In reply to

Thank you SO MUCH for all your help and the time you took to write.  I really appreciate it.  Your suggestion of H.264 worked great!  I brought the 80-minute file down to 1.25-ish GB, and it will burn onto a DVD for both delivering the project AND if I want to burn a DVD to watch.  Thank you!!!

Media Composer v.5.5.1 on my DELL laptop (running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit). Shoot on: Canon 5D Mark iii that records .MOV files at 1080/30p in IPB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 28 2014 2:01 AM In reply to

Thank you usatraveler!!  Unfortunately, I'm running the LE version of 5.5, so I don't have Sorenson with this set-up.  I am going to play around with exporting projects as QT Reference files in the future when I upgrade to 7.  It sounds like that will be the way to go.  I appreciate your tip about the audio as well, so that it'll be 'locked-in.'

I can't thank you enough for all your expertise---thank you for sharing this information.  I've learned a lot from your response...

• Tue, Feb 11 2014 9:12 AM In reply to

A very handy (FREE!) tool. Accepts QTreference and more. >> http://www.squared5.com/

Avid MC 8.3 | OSX 10.8.5 | MacPro 8-Core, 24 GB | HDV/H264/AVCHD/DV/, Sony HVR-Z1/Z7, Canon EOS [view my complete system specs]

Ervz Tia | Video Productions
    WM Communications, Asia-Pacific | Philippines

--

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller