Latest post Sun, Jun 29 2014 10:59 AM by buchel. 24 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 19 2014 5:20 PM In reply to

• Vilem
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 10 2010
    • Prague
    • Posts 1,410
    • Points 15,525

Re: Media Composer 7 bug collecting and nice to have (back) thread

When editing video effects, do not delete keyframes in "record window", but only in the effect editor.

V.

AVID MC2019.11 - dongle, HP Z620 - 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2620, Quadro P2000 - driver 441.28, RAM 48GB - DDR3, BM Intensity Pro 4k - 10.11, W10 - 64bit Professional... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Mar 21 2014 12:46 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,626
    • Points 18,635

ronn:

I am definitely having a problem with media streams manager when launching - hangs up when connected to network. Launches pronto when network connection is disabled. Did not have this problem with 6.x or previous. 7 is apparently scanning one of my network drives forever. I can find nothing about that drive that's different from the others. But when it's removed or network is disabled, it launches fine.

If you have older projects with AMA media on these drives try deleting the AMA database on your C drive and then when you need to regenerate those links. Also, obviously, delete the media databases on those drives and let Avid rebuild them (Avid MediaFiles/MXF/1 *.mdb *.pmr).

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Wed, Apr 30 2014 2:29 PM In reply to

• SlikAssistant
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 24 2009
    • Montréal, QC
    • Posts 15
    • Points 235

cls105:

I think there is a nesting bug in 7.0.3 It was in 7.0.2 aswell.

Grade a shot using the color corrector.

Add an affect on it so that the color becomes nested.

Step into the nest to make color changes and you get a "track does not exist"

[...]

We have the same issue here (7.0.2). It happens when the editor collapse tracks with CC and step in to change color correction on one of the clips.

We found out that the "user settings" seem corrupted after this happens [i.e. buttons disappears from toolbars, keyboards commands doesn't respond as expected...]. We have to replace it with a backuped version of the settings. And most of all, the bug seem random! No regular pattern of when it pop up.

Multiple systems: All systems on MC 8.4 with Symphony Option. One Avid DS11. -- 2 x z800 connected to Nitris DX / 4 x z800-clones connected to Nitris... [view my complete system specs]

If there is no solution, there must be a workaround.
    Les assistants chez Slik

• Wed, Apr 30 2014 2:48 PM In reply to

• MondoNo5
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Aug 10 2007
    • Posts 62
    • Points 795

Mondo:
    If you have older projects with AMA media on these drives try deleting the AMA database on your C drive

In addition to deleting this database, I have stopped using the "AMA Management" function.  Unfortunately, you have to do it everytime you start Media Composer.  You can turn it off by typing "manageama off" in the console.  You should get "AMA Media Management is disabled" back as a response.  I find this greatly speeds up MC's initial startup, and opening and closing projects\bins containing AMA media.

Unfortunately, if you AMA Link after re-opening media composer and forgetting to disable AMA management again, it will create AMA database entries for the new files, but not for any previously linked while AMA management was off.

Maybe somebody can give me a good reason to turn it back on, but until then I just keep turning it off.

Gigabyte Gaming 7 Z170; Intel Core i7 6700; 16GB DDR4 2100; XFX Radeon R390 8GB; Win 10 Education; Avid MC 8.WhateverIsLatest (perpetual); Adobe CS [view my complete system specs]

-Jonathan

Technical Director / Instructor
    Department of Communication
    University of Toledo

Freelance Videographer / Producer / Director

• Wed, Apr 30 2014 2:50 PM In reply to

• MondoNo5
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Aug 10 2007
    • Posts 62
    • Points 795

SlikAssistant:

I think there is a nesting bug in 7.0.3 It was in 7.0.2 aswell.

Grade a shot using the color corrector.

Add an affect on it so that the color becomes nested.

Step into the nest to make color changes and you get a "track does not exist"

I too have the same problem with the Color Correction Mode.  Sometimes it's on nested effects, sometimes it's with just two video tracks (video only on V1, but no nested effects on the timeline).  If I restart Media Composer, and reopen the same timeline, the problem is gone and I can continue working.  Very random.

Gigabyte Gaming 7 Z170; Intel Core i7 6700; 16GB DDR4 2100; XFX Radeon R390 8GB; Win 10 Education; Avid MC 8.WhateverIsLatest (perpetual); Adobe CS [view my complete system specs]

-Jonathan

Technical Director / Instructor
    Department of Communication
    University of Toledo

Freelance Videographer / Producer / Director

• Thu, May 1 2014 8:04 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,626
    • Points 18,635

MondoNo5:

Mondo:
    If you have older projects with AMA media on these drives try deleting the AMA database on your C drive

In addition to deleting this database, I have stopped using the "AMA Management" function.  Unfortunately, you have to do it everytime you start Media Composer.  You can turn it off by typing "manageama off" in the console.  You should get "AMA Media Management is disabled" back as a response.  I find this greatly speeds up MC's initial startup, and opening and closing projects\bins containing AMA media.

Unfortunately, if you AMA Link after re-opening media composer and forgetting to disable AMA management again, it will create AMA database entries for the new files, but not for any previously linked while AMA management was off.

Maybe somebody can give me a good reason to turn it back on, but until then I just keep turning it off.

Interesting - I suspect without AMA Management on you are no longer tracking your AMA Media. Hence if you move machines you won't be able to relink in the normal way (because there is no re-linking database for Avid to reference) - don't know for sure. In any case you can get Avid to re-write it's AMA database if the media is still connected by deleting the database file in the indivdual AMA directories.

Bottom line - love AMA - hate the way it leaks memory all over the place and slows down bin opening, creating new bins, delays on imports etc - there are so many new delays in the interface since AMA was introduced Avid REALLY needs to fix.

For example even a simple thing like an Audio record using the capture tool now experiences significant delay - both when you start to record and when you finish to drop it in to a bin - used to be instantaneous back in Meridien days..

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Thu, May 1 2014 10:51 AM In reply to

If you move machines your AMA management databases will be left on the old machien so you will lose the ama management feature for any previous AMA mounted clips.

The AMA management database (and an xnl of it's contents) lives in the public documents folder. So you'd have to move that with the project.

Ideally the AMA media databases should be stored in the Avid project (I have no idea why they aren't) Avid could then fake a project association for them which would be a big help)

I've found that you can permentantly disable AMA management by locating this folder

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Avid Media Composer\AMA Management (on a PC it will be in the shared folder on a Mac)

right click and choose poperties and then security and then edit the setting to untick the write box.

This makes the folder read only so you have to empty the folder first if you want to lose all AMA management or ensure the AMA you want to track is already in there before you make it read only.

The advantage of this is you can have some AMA content managed as long as it was in there before you turn off write access.

I've not found any operational issues with that permission change but it's not Avid approved of course.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Fri, May 2 2014 12:16 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,626
    • Points 18,635

Pat Horridge:

If you move machines your AMA management databases will be left on the old machien so you will lose the ama management feature for any previous AMA mounted clips.

The AMA management database (and an xnl of it's contents) lives in the public documents folder. So you'd have to move that with the project.

Ideally the AMA media databases should be stored in the Avid project (I have no idea why they aren't) Avid could then fake a project association for them which would be a big help)

I've found that you can permentantly disable AMA management by locating this folder

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Avid Media Composer\AMA Management (on a PC it will be in the shared folder on a Mac)

right click and choose poperties and then security and then edit the setting to untick the write box.

This makes the folder read only so you have to empty the folder first if you want to lose all AMA management or ensure the AMA you want to track is already in there before you make it read only.

The advantage of this is you can have some AMA content managed as long as it was in there before you turn off write access.

I've not found any operational issues with that permission change but it's not Avid approved of course.

Of course - makes sense Pat. I wonder why Avid has gone down this path? It seems less simple than say Adobe PP's method or FCP. I'm assuming it is for shared storage environments but then why is the database kept on the local machine and not the shared storage? Personally I wish they'd kept the database where they've always kept it - with the media. I understand that may not work straight off camera media but clearly they don't need it for that.

That way you move the media you move the database.

And while we're at it why use windows file letters as paths - its time to use genuine volume management and dump that antiquated system.

John

• Sun, Jun 29 2014 9:41 AM In reply to

Hello,

I have the same exact problem. (Importing of files from a network drive takes so long to proceed).

I can't find a way to make it work fine. (this is the first time i can't solve the problem with avid)

did you find something ?

thank you for your answer.

contaaaaact

• Sun, Jun 29 2014 10:59 AM In reply to

• buchel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 15 2006
    • Cologne, germany
    • Posts 64
    • Points 750

contaaaaact:

Hello,

I have the same exact problem. (Importing of files from a network drive takes so long to proceed).

I can't find a way to make it work fine. (this is the first time i can't solve the problem with avid)

did you find something ?

thank you for your answer.

contaaaaact

Unfortunately not. But I had some other work in Progress, so I clud not investigate further. I guess I will get to the problem in about one or two weeks. If I find something I will post it here. 

40 workstations HP and DIY, WIN 10 64bit MC 2018.12.3 Elements Shared Storage 720TB Arista 40GbE Backbone, 10 GBaseT Clients. Editshare shared storage... [view my complete system specs]
Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller