Latest post Wed, Feb 5 2014 9:45 AM by ilkka. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Dec 22 2013 2:29 PM

• ilkka
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • nyc
    • Posts 133
    • Points 1,550

subcap - no TTC fonts on the list / not showing when playhead is parked

quick search already showed me that i'm out of luck with a specific TTC font that i'd like to use with subcap. apparently, dating back to messages back 5 years ago, only TTF fonts are listed on the effect's pull-down font menu.

oh, well.

but here's the matter that someone might be able to help with:

- strangely, the titles only appear when the timeline is playing, and disappear as soon as the video is stopped. this is the case in the current mc7 / win7-64 machine - but not so on an mc 5.5 machine that's at the next edit bay.

what could be causing this?

• Sun, Dec 22 2013 4:19 PM In reply to

• vpcmike
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Baltimore, MD
    • Posts 1,669
    • Points 20,140

Re: subcap - no TTC fonts on the list / not showing when playhead is parked

Is "Render on the Fly" turned on?

System #1 - Mac Pro 12 Core 2.93, 24 GB RAM, 16 TB ISIS 5000 System #2 - Core i7 2600k, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, Quadro 4000 System #3 - Dell Precision... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Dec 22 2013 5:39 PM In reply to

• ilkka
    • Not Ranked
    • nyc
    • Posts 133
    • Points 1,550

vpcmike:

Is "Render on the Fly" turned on?

it was NOT - now it is. problem resolved! thanks a million.

(i've never touched that setting before, didn't know there's one like that.)

• Sun, Dec 22 2013 11:07 PM In reply to

• vpcmike
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Baltimore, MD
    • Posts 1,669
    • Points 20,140

Glad to help!

System #1 - Mac Pro 12 Core 2.93, 24 GB RAM, 16 TB ISIS 5000 System #2 - Core i7 2600k, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, Quadro 4000 System #3 - Dell Precision... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Dec 22 2013 11:22 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,388
    • Points 97,040

ilkka:
    quick search already showed me that i'm out of luck with a specific TTC font that i'd like to use with subcap. apparently, dating back to messages back 5 years ago, only TTF fonts are listed on the effect's pull-down font menu.
    It's possible to extract TTF fonts from a TTC collection using a font converter.  Two I've found are FreeFontConverter which is an on-line tool and DfontSplitter, which is a downloadable app with both Windows and OS-X versions available.

I've never used either, but a graphic artist friend has and swears by them.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Dec 23 2013 11:48 AM In reply to

• ilkka
    • Not Ranked
    • nyc
    • Posts 133
    • Points 1,550

jwrl:
    It's possible to extract TTF fonts from a TTC collection using a font converter.  Two I've found are FreeFontConverter which is an on-line tool and DfontSplitter, which is a downloadable app with both Windows and OS-X versions available.

I've never used either, but a graphic artist friend has and swears by them.

great pointer, jwrl - just in my case it did not work.

i tried freefontconverter.com, that refused to allow upload of the ginormous source TTC. then i tried onlinefontconverter.com, that did the deed, but the resulting TTF was faulty, and installation of it took out the TTC that used to work so i was a bit discouraged. didn't try DfontSplitter app, though.

luckily got it restored rather quickly as i'd saved the source files.

the font i need is a very rare/special chinese font /w phonetic ruby-text under each character.

anyway - now that we're at it - this is a BUG, dear avid. if the OS (& title tool & marquee) recognizes something as a font, so should the subcap filter.

and this shortcoming has been around since the beginning of times, so how about prioritize its fix a bit?

i for one would save at least a day spent on workarounds if it worked.

• Wed, Feb 5 2014 9:45 AM In reply to

• ilkka
    • Not Ranked
    • nyc
    • Posts 133
    • Points 1,550

well, now i found a 3rd party plug-in to replace subcap.

http://www.eztitles.com/index.php?page=buy_online

it does support all fonts including the one i wanted to use. and seems quite user-friendly. except for the price tag, EUR 600.

anyone have any working experience on it? the trial is limited to 25 titles, so i can't really get a workflow going with that.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller