Latest post Fri, Oct 3 2014 8:53 AM by serbanty. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Nov 18 2013 3:08 PM

• sven2615
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 12 2006
    • Berlin
    • Posts 152
    • Points 2,030

The AUDIO MIXER in MC 7 - still TOO BIG

Dear fellows,

i still would like to strike a blow for a smaller Audio Mixer.

It could be really simple to provide us editors the option to make that tool as useful as each of us likes it to be.

The "Mix Tool Display Options" are an improvement but doesn´t go far enough.

I think the "group" button is hugely important. It needs to be bigger and seperated from  link and mirror.

The design of the audio mixer interface is just waste of space. Just compare it to the Effects Palette, Project window, Bins, EQ Tool or whatever - thats effective. The Audio Mixer since MC6 is mostly grey surface. Important buttons like the fader are too small, others are far away from the place where you need them when using the tool.

In the following pictures you can see the old Audio Mixer compared to the new, a ReDesign to make each track less wide and to place important buttons where they sould be, one some optional Display Options.

All the best
    Sven

Avid Media Composer 7.0.3 | MacPro 3.5 GHz 6core 32GB RAM | AJA T-Tap |||| The Audio Mixer is too BIG since mc6!!! [view my complete system specs]

www.svenbudelmann.com
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0118967/ 

• Mon, Nov 18 2013 3:28 PM In reply to

• Marty
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 3 2005
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 921
    • Points 10,705

Re: The AUDIO MIXER in MC 7 - still TOO BIG

+1 for improvements with the audio mixer.

all different setups in various editing suites. my own: MC 2018.2, OSX 10.12.6, iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 4,2 GHz Intel Core i7, 40GB RAM, Radeon... [view my complete system specs]

www.film-editing.de

• Mon, Nov 18 2013 3:38 PM In reply to

• jbcline
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 8 2010
    • Posts 1
    • Points 15

These are really good suggestions. How about the option to hide the faders. I usually adjust levels by inputting a value.

• Mon, Nov 18 2013 3:48 PM In reply to

• sven2615
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 12 2006
    • Berlin
    • Posts 152
    • Points 2,030

jbcline:

These are really good suggestions. How about the option to hide the faders. I usually adjust levels by inputting a value.

thats possible already. just klick on the "Fast Menu" in the Audio Mixer -> Mix Tool Display Options -> deselect "Show faders"

Avid Media Composer 7.0.3 | MacPro 3.5 GHz 6core 32GB RAM | AJA T-Tap |||| The Audio Mixer is too BIG since mc6!!! [view my complete system specs]

www.svenbudelmann.com
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0118967/ 

• Mon, Nov 18 2013 4:55 PM In reply to

• ben.joe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 13 2012
    • Berlin
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

How about hiding the pan controlls. They are useless and much too big.

MC 6.0.5 | OSX 10.7.5 | iMac 3.4 GHz Core i7 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Nov 18 2013 4:58 PM In reply to

ben.joe:

How about hiding the pan controlls. They are useless and much too big.

Also already possible, using the same method Sven posted above.

Media Composer 2018.12.2 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Nov 18 2013 5:06 PM In reply to

• ben.joe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 13 2012
    • Berlin
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Oh yes, my fault. But the width of the tracks still stays the same, when you hide the pans? It would be great to adjust the size of the whole audio mixer tool window and to reduce the size of the tracks, too, instead of having scroll bars.  

MC 6.0.5 | OSX 10.7.5 | iMac 3.4 GHz Core i7 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 19 2013 5:53 PM In reply to

• matthewh
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 24 2013
    • NY
    • Posts 95
    • Points 1,050

Anyone know how to make my preferences for my "Set Display Options" stick? Every time i open MC7.02 i have to open up and deselct pan controls effect buttons & legends!

(Likewise my column sizes for my markers bin...)

4 GHz i7 Retina iMac, 24 GB 1600MHz DDR3, AMD M295X 4GB OSX 10.10 MC8.3 3.4GHz i7 iMac, 20 GB 1333MHz DDR3, AMD 6970M 1GB, OSX 10.9.1, MC7.04 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 19 2013 11:21 PM In reply to

• Hershleder
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeles, California, USA
    • Posts 150
    • Points 1,790
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      BlogAuthor

My suggestions (now, as in the past) are:

1- Both the dB level and the A1, A2, etc, selectors be moved to the _top_ of each fader panel. This way everything is in one place. Glancing up and down all the time is frustrating.

2- In the past I also suggested some quick-click zones around the Pan Knob to facilitate quicker pan changes for L, Mid, and R. They might be indicated with small arrow heads like in my mock-up below:

MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz, i7 – OS 10.10.5 – 16 GB RAM – MC version 8.6.x - Adobe CC. [view my complete system specs]

Use your Avid super-powers for good, not evil:

"The Avid Media Composer Cookbook"

http://tinyurl.com/avidmc-book

• Wed, Jan 8 2014 12:11 PM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 1,142
    • Points 12,925

Some good suggestions in this thread. This is what I posted before I found it:

Don't get me wrong, I love the meters in the audio mixer that we gained in MC6. Stops me having to solo 16 individual tracks to see which one has the dialogue. 

And the new 'Display Options' in MC7 is a good start, but not really a finished deal. I don't think the MC6 complainers will be much satisfied.

Firstly the enclosing window does not resize as elements are turned off and on.

ALL ENABLED:

All faders ON

ONLY FADERS ENABLED:

All but faders enabled

Secondly the Pan and Volume numeric displays always require a certain width, which limits the number of timeline tracks that can be squeezed in a window horizontally.

Thirdly there is a lot of vertical real estate (OS box, audio mxier tab, then 2 lines of dropdowns) before we get to the mixer - which has large black bevels top and bottom with no function, even with all display options off.

Fourthly, at the bottom of a fader, next to the fader level numeric display, there is an up/down arrow - which appears to have no use either.

Fifthly - The fader 'knob' is also still too small for general use. 

I'm sure this isn't trivial - but the audio mixer still needs some serious love (as does audio in general).

• Tue, Sep 16 2014 4:22 PM In reply to

• Jlorenzen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 4 2011
    • Posts 26
    • Points 315

YES SMALLER MIXER!!   the fast menu tools and such could stay at the top while u scroll town the mixer as well,

not only should there be a condensed version, btu there should be an easy way to shift select several tracks to gang them together with ease, instead of clicking on each gang button seperately, real annoying !

Avid 8.0 OS Yosemite 10.10 iMac 5k 16gb Ram [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , , ,
  • Tue, Sep 16 2014 8:14 PM In reply to

• matthewh
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 24 2013
    • NY
    • Posts 95
    • Points 1,050

I would love it if Avid give us a way to gang multiple group buttons at once in the audio mixer

Ideally something similar to the shift drag option to highlight tracks quickly in the timeline - drag accross gang buttons for example.

Also how about option click a gang button in the mixer toggles all gang buttons on & off.

And a +1 for better use of space. If i turn off the "legends" display - dont leave an empty legends bar in the mixer - make it smaller (solo button may need to be on top of the mute button as in timeline)

4 GHz i7 Retina iMac, 24 GB 1600MHz DDR3, AMD M295X 4GB OSX 10.10 MC8.3 3.4GHz i7 iMac, 20 GB 1333MHz DDR3, AMD 6970M 1GB, OSX 10.9.1, MC7.04 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 3 2014 8:53 AM In reply to

• serbanty
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 3 2014
    • Posts 1
    • Points 5

Would be great to map the group button to a keyboard button (shortcut). I've tryed but couldn't find a solution to make it work.

Second i would love a future that mutes all other tracks than the track i'm clicking on. i.e. If i have 6 mics from A1-A6 and a would like to 'mute' A2-A6 it would spare me some time just ALT + clicking on A1 instead of fading each fader to infinite. Or maybe just fade down the unselected tracks instead by a simple click.

I would not prefer removing the unused muted tracks due to sound post prod. The Gang-mode doesnt cut it either. 

HP Z400, Intel Xeon 3.33GHz, 12GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, nVidia GeForce 2000 Avid ISIS-5500. [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller