Latest post Thu, Aug 9 2018 10:42 PM by S.Clements. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Oct 21 2013 9:21 PM

• Ethan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jun 27 2011
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 16
    • Points 225

Editing from the bin.

I have enabled edit from the bin, but whenever i try and use the "I/E" or mark in button I get the warning bleep, and nothing happens.

These are grouped clips I have tried plain clips too.  What am I missing?

1) MacPro4,1 (8 core) 24 gigs RAM, OSX 10.8.4 MC 6.0.0 2) MacPro2,1 (8 core) 4 gigs RAM, OSX 10.6.8 MC 5.5.3.7 [view my complete system specs]

Ethan Holzman

http://ethan-editor.blogspot.com/

1) MacPro4,1  (8 core) 24 gigs RAM, OSX 10.8.4 MC 6.0.0

2) MacPro2,1  (8 core) 4 gigs RAM, OSX 10.6.8 MC 5.5.3.7

Filed under: ,
  • Wed, Oct 23 2013 1:31 PM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,478
    • Points 44,820
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Editing from the bin.

It sounds like you're selecting the clip in the bin what you want to insert, and are then immediately hitting a Mark-in or Mark-out key (or button). If this is the case, then you're not using to tool quite right. After selecting the clip to insert, you have to select the timeline, position the cursor, and then hit the mark in/out keys (as appropriate). Then you can hit B to insert from the timeline.

Alternatively, and probably the better way IMHO is to set your in and out markers first, go to the bin, select the clip and hit B.

If you're still having problems, create a new blank sequence. Then go to a bin, select a clip, and hit B and see if that works.  If that doesn't work, then there's something else wrong (tracks not enabled, etc.)

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Wed, Oct 23 2013 6:54 PM In reply to

• Ethan
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 16
    • Points 225

I'm definitely missing something.   I can mark an in and out in "script view" but I cant cut it in.  I can then change to "Frame view" and cut in the shot, but not mark it in or out.

I can mark a duration in the timeline and then cut it in from "frame view," but it ignores the position of the playhead. I guess I'll try toggling the different ghost/virtual in and out mark settings.

1) MacPro4,1 (8 core) 24 gigs RAM, OSX 10.8.4 MC 6.0.0 2) MacPro2,1 (8 core) 4 gigs RAM, OSX 10.6.8 MC 5.5.3.7 [view my complete system specs]

Ethan Holzman

• Fri, Oct 25 2013 2:28 AM In reply to

• DStone
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Massachusetts
    • Posts 3,478
    • Points 44,820
    • Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

OK, I see what you're talking about. I'm going to have to check and see if this is a bug or not. In scrpt view, I can play back the frames in the bin and set my ins and outs using I and O. Hitting B does not send the segment to the timeline.

To make it work you have to double-click on the frame and then hit B. I don't think this is proper behavior, but it does work.

In fame view, you can only set in and out while the clip is playing back. You can't stop the clip and then set the marks. Again, I think this is a bug, but I'l have to check. The workaround is to hit I and O while playing back.

I never use these modes myself. I prefer to open the clips in the source viewer where I have a lot more control. But that's just my preference.

I'll see about escalating this one and see if these are bugs or not well documented but expected behaviors.

DIY quad core I7-4790K, 32Gb, NVidia GTX 970 4GB, Win 10 Pro, MC(generally the latest or the one just before), MC 7.x [view my complete system specs]

Dave S.

• Fri, Oct 25 2013 3:12 AM In reply to

• Ethan
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 16
    • Points 225

Ok, So I was missing something,  I knew I'd been using it before.  Loading into the composer is mostly preferred, but I'm already advancing the thumbnail to make it representational.  It's handy to at least mark an in While I am there.

DStone:

OK, I see what you're talking about. I'm going to have to check and see if this is a bug or not. In scrpt view, I can play back the frames in the bin and set my ins and outs using I and O. Hitting B does not send the segment to the timeline.

To make it work you have to double-click on the frame and then hit B. I don't think this is proper behavior, but it does work.

In fame view, you can only set in and out while the clip is playing back. You can't stop the clip and then set the marks. Again, I think this is a bug, but I'l have to check. The workaround is to hit I and O while playing back.

I never use these modes myself. I prefer to open the clips in the source viewer where I have a lot more control. But that's just my preference.

I'll see about escalating this one and see if these are bugs or not well documented but expected behaviors.

Ethan Holzman

• Sun, Aug 5 2018 3:29 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 805
    • Points 10,685

This still doesn't work as it should in 2018, so I think it's an unaddressed bug.

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Aug 6 2018 7:19 AM In reply to

The clip has to be playing for in/out to work. Try that.

Media Composer 2018.11 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Thu, Aug 9 2018 10:42 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 805
    • Points 10,685

camoscato:

The clip has to be playing for in/out to work. Try that.

Thanks.  That is the solution.  Someone mentioned I try this 'edit from bin' feature, but I don't find it useful.

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller