Latest post Sun, Oct 20 2013 8:20 PM by Job ter Burg. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Oct 20 2013 10:40 AM

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 812
    • Points 10,755

Simple Gain RTAS Effect that allows +/- 60 db (or some similar amount)

Hi,

It would be great to have a simple Gain RTAS effect.  There is the oddly named 'Trim' effect that allows you to boost by 6db increments and you can achieve more gain with additional instances, but I'm not sure why there is no proper gain that allows you to boost or lower as much as you want. 

All Avid needs to rock it in the audio department is a simple gain and a hard limiter.  That would make life so much easier.

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , ,
  • Sun, Oct 20 2013 12:07 PM In reply to

Re: Simple Gain RTAS Effect that allows +/- 60 db (or some similar amount)

S.Clements:
    It would be great to have a simple Gain RTAS effect.
    Are you sure you would want to apply such an effect to an entire track? Seems like the regular AudioSuite Gain would let you correct any clips that are so low in level.

Alternatively, you could apply an RTAS Compressor, turn all the knobs to the left (making sure that the compression ratio is set to 1:1, which means no compression), then you can use the Gain knob there to increase the entire level up to +40dB. Save the effect and you won't even have to change the default setting when you just want to apply gain.

S.Clements:
    a hard limiter
    I recommend the Massey L2007 mastering limiter. 89 bucks. I also hear very enthusiastic stories about the Nugen ISL, which also does 5.1 and has True Peak Limiting (195 bucks).

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Oct 20 2013 12:34 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 812
    • Points 10,755

I see your points about using the compressor to do the job of gain.  A limiter seems like such a simple thing to include - not sure what prevents Avid from doing it, but I've heard the reccomendation for the Massey L2007 mastering limiter enough times that I guess it's worth finally shelling out for it.  A limiter really is something Avid should include though - it is so basic.  I don't like buying plugins - feels like a junky fix to something that shouldn't be a problem to begin with.

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Oct 20 2013 8:20 PM In reply to

Plugins are there to provide specific needs for specific customers. I don't disagree that Avid should include its own limiter. Preferably AAX rather than AS or RTAS.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller