Latest post Wed, May 20 2015 6:19 AM by Mim in the Spring. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Oct 8 2013 7:53 AM

Source TimeCode Window Workspace in Media composer v7.0

Sometimes I need to check the source timecode on various clips on a multi-track timeline. Exciting stuff.

Normally, I would use the Tracking Information Menus above the Source monitor and Composer monitor drop-down to reveal the source timecodes (and much more), based on the cursor position. But I am finding that its default font is hard to read and the drop-down display will actually cover the timeline when it is displaying the contents of a large multi-track sequence.

So I took at close look at the TimeCode Window tool I realized that I could set up a rather large, "all-purpose" custom TimeCode Window view just the way I want-- with many source tracks displaying their same source timecode info- but using its easier to read bright green font instead.

And I could save that TimeCode Window view as part of a custom Workspace, available as a map-able keystroke.

Note: Unlike the Tracking Information drop-down menus, the custom display will not increase or decrease in size along with the total number of tracks used on the timeline. So the custom TimeCode Tool I set up includes 10 Video Tracks and 24 Audio Tracks-- more than enough for most of my jobs.

Note: a Custom Workspace does not seem to be map-able to the keyboard, so I saved this TimeCode Tool view as part of my "Capture" workspace, which can be mapped.

Tip: In order to do it, open up the TimeCode Window tool and look for "ADD LINE" in its menu. I added 35 lines and then proceeded to change them individually to display the Source TimeCodes per track that I wanted. I used the top line I for Master Time Code (Mas TC1, but if i did it all over agin, I would put that between V1 and A1.

By positioning the TimeCode Window off to the left of the timeline as I did, the bright green timecodes update interactively and the display does not hide as I move the cursor across the timeline.

Win 7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Also:___ Windows 7 Pro x64 Dell T3400 workstation E8400 3.0 Ghz 4GB Ram,... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Dec 11 2013 1:10 PM In reply to

Re: Source TimeCode Window Workspace in Media composer v7.0

Hey man, this is brilliant!

Win 7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Also:___ Windows 7 Pro x64 Dell T3400 workstation E8400 3.0 Ghz 4GB Ram,... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Dec 11 2013 1:10 PM In reply to

Telegram!:

Hey man, this is brilliant!

Yes, I know ! Big Smile

• Wed, May 20 2015 6:19 AM In reply to

Lol. You're a dag. Also, yes, it is brilliant. I've been trying to figure out how to increase the text size for timecode displayed in the composer window. Problem solved. Smile

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller