Latest post Thu, Aug 2 2018 4:57 AM by N Ryan. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Sep 25 2013 2:34 PM

• Ssnygg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 11 2006
    • Allentown PA
    • Posts 316
    • Points 3,785

Avid Time Calculator used within bin

I would love it if you could quicly select/deselct numerous clips in the bins and get a total running time.  For doing documentaries, this would be VERY useful so you could quickly figure out which stories to include and which to leave out for time limitations or to make sure you give equal time to your subjects.

I have several systems. 1-Media Composer ver 7 1-Media Composer 8.8.4 1-mac Express 2.2 AB/VB Targa set up The computers I use include: 1-Intel core i7... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 25 2013 2:55 PM In reply to

• stevecohen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 3 2006
    • Venice, California
    • Posts 499
    • Points 5,520

Re: Avid Time Calculator used within bin

You can do this now. Select your clips, then right-click one of them and choose "get bin info". The console will open with a total length of the selected items displayed at the bottom.

Needless to say, it sure would be nice if this wasn't such a hidden feature. You'd never know it was there if somebody didn't tell you about it first.

• Thu, Sep 26 2013 12:32 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,365
    • Points 96,795

stevecohen:
    You'd never know it was there if somebody didn't tell you about it first.
    That's an ongoing problem, especially with software that's become increasingly feature-rich.

There used to be a list on the old forums of obscure information about console settings and arcane key press combinations.  I don't know whether anyone else remembers that, or where it was.  It might be time to start a new one.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Sep 26 2013 6:57 AM In reply to

stevecohen:

You can do this now. Select your clips, then right-click one of them and choose "get bin info". The console will open with a total length of the selected items displayed at the bottom.

Needless to say, it sure would be nice if this wasn't such a hidden feature. You'd never know it was there if somebody didn't tell you about it first.

As I recall, this used to be accomplished by pressing Ctrl + I

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Oct 2 2013 9:37 PM In reply to

• Ssnygg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Allentown PA
    • Posts 316
    • Points 3,785

Maybe there's a step I'm missing or maybe I poorly explained myself.  When I do as you described, a window pops up for each clip supplying the information that is already available in the bin including the length of each clip.  That's nice, but I would like to know the total time of all those clips put together.

Am I missing a step?

-Spencer

I have several systems. 1-Media Composer ver 7 1-Media Composer 8.8.4 1-mac Express 2.2 AB/VB Targa set up The computers I use include: 1-Intel core i7... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Oct 2 2013 9:38 PM In reply to

• Ssnygg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Allentown PA
    • Posts 316
    • Points 3,785

Oh and the console window doesn't auto open nor does it supply the information I want if I open it first.

• Thu, Oct 3 2013 12:27 AM In reply to

• Ssnygg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Allentown PA
    • Posts 316
    • Points 3,785

One more weird/annoying thing.... I have to type in the timecode into the Avid Time Calculator instead of being able to copy and paste.  When I paste something in there and hit the = sign or any other function, it zeros out.

• Thu, Aug 2 2018 4:57 AM In reply to

• N Ryan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 3 2014
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 81
    • Points 985

stevecohen:

What happened to this feature? The info window we get now is quite handy and contains a lot of useful info - for one or two clips. But selecting a lot of clips and getting a lot of separate windows? that's not so useful. 

I'm guessing we get one or the other. (A useful info list per clip OR the ability to get info on multiple clips.)

OS 10.11.4 Mac Pro Media Composer 8.6.3 with Symphony & Interplay 3.4 AvidFX 6.4 Neat Video 4.1.4 ISIS5500 [view my complete system specs]

Neil.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller