Latest post Wed, Sep 11 2013 11:46 AM by Allan. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Sep 11 2013 8:10 AM

• tomeon
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 11 2013
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Which codec to choose when exporting from AVID to file to burn to DVD and Bluray?

Hello,

I have shot my project in full HD. After I finished editing I want to export it to file to burn it later to DVD?

Which AVID codec should I use and what settings, to have the best quality and not to occupy to much unneccessary space?

Is DV-PAL ok? Or should I choose something different to have the best DVD quality?

The same concerns when I want to burn file to Bluray?

H.264 or rather different one, to have the best quality on Bluray?

Thank you very much.

Filed under: ,
  • Wed, Sep 11 2013 9:11 AM In reply to

• Allan
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Denmark
    • Posts 291
    • Points 3,545

Re: Which codec to choose when exporting from AVID to file to burn to DVD and Bluray?

The answer depend on your screen size.

We are screening to a 12 X 9 M digital cinema screen. Projection to that size, DV-PAL will look dreadful.

You may see our workflow down at my Sys specs.

13 edit stations Educational MC 6.5.2 in use, MC 6.5.3 under reliability test, MC 7 under consideration workflow test, dongles with troubles, AVID ISIS... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 11 2013 11:00 AM In reply to

• tomeon
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 11 2013
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Re: Which codec to choose when exporting from AVID to file to burn to DVD and Bluray?

Thank for your answer.

I just want to preper general QT file, from which a can burn DVD later, and also another QT file, from which I can burn Bluray. So I don't know the screen size which will be used for projection. DVD is rather a preview copy. And I don't have so much space to export QT same as source. Do you recommend any codecs which would best fit DVD and Bluray, so that the files are not too big, but the quality (after conversion to DVD and Bluray) is as good as possible?

• Wed, Sep 11 2013 11:46 AM In reply to

• Allan
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Denmark
    • Posts 291
    • Points 3,545

You are right DNxHD120 QT same as source is overkill for an intermediate format. We do it because DNxHD120 is our edit format and there anyway. And we are looking for a simple robust workflow. Without too many conversions. It is manageable because our productions are shorter than 10 min.

If you are aiming for a Blu-Ray, you may just as well consider use the Blu-Ray format H.262/MPEG-2 Part 2
    H.264/MPEG-4 AVC
    . Unfortunate MC is dreadfull for encoding H264.

As you may see from our workflow TEMPGnc are happy to make Blu-Rays direct out of DNxHD120,

You may also consider QT-ref files, they will take nearly no extra space.  We are not using QT-ref, because we use the output format for archive as well. QT-ref will not work for archiving. If the original project is discarded.

13 edit stations Educational MC 6.5.2 in use, MC 6.5.3 under reliability test, MC 7 under consideration workflow test, dongles with troubles, AVID ISIS... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller