Latest post Tue, Sep 10 2013 8:40 AM by BobbyMurcerFan. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Sep 8 2013 11:24 PM

Another AMA Poor Showing

AMA is really making it difficult to use MC. Today I tried AMA linking to 45 Nikon DSLR H.264 files that average about ten seconds each. (These are test shots using various camera settings.)

Selecting all the files and AMA linking casued MC to lock up. I had to use the Windows Task Manager to exit MC. I thought one of the files might be corrupt, so I played each with QT, which played them all fine.

So I tried the group import again, which resulted in another lock-up.

So I tried importing the files in groups of five. That worked, but why should I have to this?

Next, I selected all of the clips and dragged them to the timeline so we could play them in succession. Well, you guessed it... MC locked-up again. So I am now individually loading each slip into the source monitor and adding it to the timeline. Which should be uncecessary.

And one what should taken a few minutes is taking over an hour of our time. And I've had to call other people to ask them to arrive later than they had expected. *sigh*

This a horrible showing by MC and the people watching me are utterly confused by how finicky/unstable the program is with AMA linking. I've been asked more than a few times, "Why are you using this program?"

To be honest, this is very embarrassing for me. I realize that MC excels in workflows with shared storage and native codecs. But AMA's very existance is to extend MC past that paradigm. And years later, it's still doing a pretty lousy job of it.

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Mon, Sep 9 2013 12:44 AM In reply to

Re: Another AMA Poor Showing

I want to elaborate a little more on this. A response to most AMA problems is why not transcode to DNxHD? And for offline editorial I think that makes perfect sense.

But this footage is of testing different camera settings in a low light environment. So we don't want to introduce the potenial for color remapping and gamma shifting, since a small change can result in a big difference in the image. Additionally, transcoding to DNxHD also can cause subtle color banding, but we are already dealing with that from the camera itself, so we don't want to introduce more of it.

Finally, we are applying color grades to the image, and again want to see how the source footage, not transcoded footage reacts.

I completely understand that when it comes to complex cuts, H.264 is not a good choice. But that's not what's going on here. There is no splicing of GOP's b/c I'm loading entire clips.

AMA needs improvement. I have been spending sometime with Adobe's Creative Could. And while I don't like the subscription model. I do like the way it is playing footage on my laptop.

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Mon, Sep 9 2013 2:45 AM In reply to

• Jayson
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 12 2011
    • Jamaica
    • Posts 10
    • Points 110

Do the Avid staff read theses posts like they do over the Adobe forums? 

i7, 8GB ram, GTX 560 Ti / Macbook Pro 15inch, Lion, 8GB ram, Radeon 6750M [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 9 2013 6:34 AM In reply to

Whenever I get a fussy AMA file that bogs down my system, I immediately go

to transcode from the bin- no monitors for AMA, no looking in Avid until masterclips transcoded.

You  probably have already tried that.

I am curious:If Adobe plays yout Nikon H264 well, what format does it export

the footage as that meets your requirement oof not subtly shifting 

color? Does Adobe have  their own version of DNxHD/ProRes

compression?

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 9 2013 11:36 AM In reply to

• RVLT
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jun 12 2010
    • Posts 27
    • Points 440

Following this logic -

We should use Adobe for editing, and Avid should become a codec company. 

Ridiculously bad implementation of "ama" on Avid's side. Always have been. No excuse.

"Offline" editing is redundant in many workflows. This is not longer 'the future'. It's the present.

MC 7.0. Win SERVER 2013 R2. Intel i7-2600K @4.3 , Asus P8Z68-V PRO, 4X4GB Corsair, nVidia Quadro FX4600, Dell U2410, Dell U2412M, Panasonic 46" P30U... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 9 2013 6:01 PM In reply to

• Allan
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Denmark
    • Posts 291
    • Points 3,545

Do you AMA to the camera card or to a copy of it on local hard drive?

To our experience playing of memory card are slow and might cause system to be unstable. We prefer to transcode to Codec like DNxHD120. and accept a penalty of 5x transcoding time.

Most likely a third party will do the transcoding faster. But trying avoid to manny thid party programs in the flow.

Don’t overestimate AMA, it’s nice to have, but not really dependable. And it’s not compulsory to edit in. I believe every camera manufacturer use own AVCHD version. We are only offeret one AMA plug in to cover them all.

13 edit stations Educational MC 6.5.2 in use, MC 6.5.3 under reliability test, MC 7 under consideration workflow test, dongles with troubles, AVID ISIS... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 9 2013 7:30 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,201
    • Points 38,855

Allan:

... and accept a penalty of 5x transcoding time.

Wow, I wonder what your workstations are.  My transcodes of Canon 5D / 1D are faster than realtime on relatively new Mac Pro boot camped to Windows 7 Pro.  I assume that by "5x transcoding time" that your transcodes take 5 times real time.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC 8.5.3 / 8.9.4 | OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown" QT 10.0... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Mon, Sep 9 2013 9:29 PM In reply to

• EditGuy18
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Minneapolis
    • Posts 202
    • Points 2,535

If you haven't already, try downloading and testing in MC version 6.5.x. . .  We've been testing that MC version with some Canon AVCHD files and it's light years ahead of 6.0.3 (our current version).  We can play files back straight off the SD card with a USB 3 card reader.

Good Luck

Avid Media Composer Nitris DX 5.0.3.8 - HP Z800 Workstation - Twin Hex Core Xeon 3.0GHz Processors - 12 Gig Ram - Windows 7 64-bit - NVIDIA QuadroFX 4800... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 9 2013 11:32 PM In reply to

Thanks for the reply!! It's very gratifying to hear that Avid has been improving AMA since 6.0. As for upgrading, my intention has been to hold off until there is a theatrical 4K project size in MC, not just HD (or UHD). (But that could change if the other benefits are compelling enough.)

• Tue, Sep 10 2013 12:22 AM In reply to

• Tom Pearson
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 1 2007
    • Los Angeles CA / Minneapolis MN
    • Posts 2,103
    • Points 22,625

To bad your having problems I to was having some difficulty with AVCHD files in 6.0 but 6.5 cured them and 7.0 is the bomb having no trouble with ama at all AVCHD P2 H264  all work well in my mbp 

Mac Pro 3.5 gig 6 core 64 gig ram D700 radons with ssd os drive with a 20 tb raid, Artist Mix and Artist color Artist control [view my complete system specs]

Tom Pearson

Director/Writer Big Picture Films

Sound Designer/Sound Editor Hollywood Sounds

WWLD

• Tue, Sep 10 2013 7:39 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,277
    • Points 61,915

BMF, no need to upgrade the all software: just upgrade the AMA plugins.

Symphony 2018.5, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Tue, Sep 10 2013 8:40 AM In reply to

Luca,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I am running the latest AVCHD and MFX AMA plugins.

It seems that the QuickTime plugin is part of the MC program itself and can't be downloaded separately.

But thanks again. ;)

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller