Latest post Mon, Sep 2 2013 4:19 AM by Svenbox. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Sep 1 2013 10:35 PM

• Patrick
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 26 2010
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 143
    • Points 1,955

So about this 4k thing...

It seems that UHD and DCI 4k are on the way in. I'm not sure about 4k DCPs as I'm no longer in the industry in any meaningful way, but UHD televisions are coming down in price fast. I reckon the timeframe in which this will replace HD and be the dominant format in both TV and movie theaters is still something on the order of 6-8 years, but it does appear to be coming.

I don't currently have an I/O card or box, and I feel like buying one that isn't 4k capable now would mean having to buy something that was in a couple of years (or maybe sooner). The current options seem to be the blackmagic decklink, the aja kona, and the bluefish supernova. Does anyone have any thoughts or input on how this all might go down, and whether or not there might be other options out there or on the horizon?

Mac Pro 8 core, ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT, Media Composer 7 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 2 2013 12:06 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,520
    • Points 64,055
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: So about this 4k thing...

First off, that I/O card is only going to be doing "O" to feed a monitor.  Since any 4K format is file based, you won't be doing any baseband capturing.

Second, Media Composer is currently limited to HD resolutions at this time so any I/O is going to be limited to HD.

Third, the newly announced but as yet unreleased Mac Pro can drive multiple 4K displays.  Not that they'd be Video displays, but if things start to shift to RGB levels with 4K it won't really matter much any more.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Mon, Sep 2 2013 12:52 AM In reply to

• Patrick
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 26 2010
    • Austin, TX
    • Posts 143
    • Points 1,955

hbrock:

First off, that I/O card is only going to be doing "O" to feed a monitor.  Since any 4K format is file based, you won't be doing any baseband capturing.

Second, Media Composer is currently limited to HD resolutions at this time so any I/O is going to be limited to HD.

Third, the newly announced but as yet unreleased Mac Pro can drive multiple 4K displays.  Not that they'd be Video displays, but if things start to shift to RGB levels with 4K it won't really matter much any more.

1)Yes, I'm thinking about a monitoring solution. I apologize for not making that clear. 

2) Yes, I know media composer is limited to HD, which means that for resolutions above 1920 x 1080, a variation on the offline/online paradigm is called for in which the higher resolution camera media is conformed to the lower resolution avid media in another application. I'd like to be able to view that high resolution media.

3) I guess it sort of depends on whether or not those hypothetical 4k monitors are RGB or rec 2020. I mean, for cutting I don't care, but I'd like to have a colour critical client monitor.

Mac Pro 8 core, ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT, Media Composer 7 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 2 2013 4:19 AM In reply to

• Svenbox
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Germany
    • Posts 233
    • Points 2,975

I'm shooting with RED Epic all the time, which is great for many reasons. Above all it's the RAW-format, which gives you many possibilities in post. But after processing to DNxHD I never go back. Even when I offer the RAW files to the color graders at ARRI they say DNxHD is fine for them. 

ULtraHD is just another hype, like 3D was, so I wouldn't bother. Only with 55" sets and bigger you will see a difference and only if you sit very close. The TV-industry is having big problems, because the markets are saturated, so they come up with UltraHD. No one will care. One day 4K monitors will be a 1000 bucks and the Avid upgrade will be 200$, just like it was with HD. Maybe then, when I'm totally bored, I might think about a new tv-set.

With movie theatre it'll be the same. Why invest money, if everybody is totally satisfied with 2K? Within the next years there won't be much change.

iMac pro, MC 2018.7.1 on 10.13.4., 32 Gb, 1Tb SSD, 12 Tb G-speed ext. RAID 1, [view my complete system specs]

Wat soll dä Quatsch?

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller