Latest post Sat, Aug 24 2013 4:25 AM by sketch. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Aug 20 2013 3:43 PM

5D problems

Hi,

I'm trying to look ingest media from a 5D (don't know whether it was a mkii or mkiii). I have the Canon XF64 AMA plugin installed.  I can open an AMA volume and see the clips in the bin but trying to load into the source monitor I get the spinning beach ball for ages then the error message 'Exception: CDCIReader_UNKNOWN_CMPRESSION_TYPE'.

Obviously this is a codec problem but I'm at a loss as to what else to install.  Get info on the clip tells me H264 as the compression type.

HELP!

• Tue, Aug 20 2013 4:16 PM In reply to

Re: 5D problems

I should have mentioned I'm using Symphony 6.5.3 on a Mac OS 10.7.5

• Sat, Aug 24 2013 1:13 AM In reply to

• oze
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 573
    • Points 6,775

I do quite a bit of work from 5D material and I almost never edit directly from the original H.264 files using AMA. It always works best to transcode. I use a simple workflow that enables the original files to used in a final grade (DaVinci?) via an EDL or output direct output if necessary. I applied it from a tutorial by Oliver Peters and it works great everytime.

1) Backup the EOS card, copy the files to a work disk and rename the files to something specific to the job. I use "A Better FInder Rename" software to batch this and it only takes a second.

2) Use QT Change to add timecode, reel numbers etc to your re-labelled H.264's. This will also generate an Avid ALE file. Import this into Media Composer to get all your metadata.

3) Use MPEG Streamclip to transcode to your flavor of DNxHD. I usually only do 36 since my director's prefer grading off the original files (the ones with the altered files names) but you may want to go to the next level if you are outputting directly. Forget the highest 10 bit codecs, the camera does not match that bit rate and you will be wasting drive space by over sampling.

Open the MC project and batch import the QT MXF files using the same DNXHD flavor and the files will simply re-wrap from QT to MXF. You'll know it's right because they will "fast import". If it tries to transcode then something is not matching up.

4) Edit.

5) Create EDL and AAF or output directly.

Working this way gives me the confidence to hand the files and an EDL off to a post-facility and know that it will conform correctly and it also makes the editing process faster and less of a hassle . . .

Good luck!

2017 27" iMac i7 4.2, 2TB PCI memory, 64GB RAM, OS 10.13.6, MC 2018.10 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Aug 24 2013 1:20 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,489
    • Points 63,680
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

The Canon XF plugin is for their XF series video cameras.  The AVCHD and QuickTime plugins that Avid supplies should be all you need to access the 5D files via AMA.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Sat, Aug 24 2013 4:25 AM In reply to

• sketch
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 27 2009
    • sacramento
    • Posts 59
    • Points 770

I recently had similar issues with 5D III. Found out that if I trashed all Perion components, the problem melted away.

System 1 MC 8.3 MacPro 6,1 (late 2013), Mojo DX w/ Thunderbolt adapter, 12 TB OWC ThunderBay4 Raid. System 2 Avid MOJO DX MC5.5.5, Mac OS 10.6.8, 2 x 3... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller