Latest post Sun, Aug 3 2014 12:07 PM by jdwyer. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Aug 7 2013 2:01 AM

• jdwyer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Nov 6 2011
    • Posts 4
    • Points 60

23.98 footage does not match edit rate of 23.976 sequence?

Platform: Mac OSX Lion 10.7.5
    Processor: 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
    RAM: 8GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: 
    AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB

Running Media Composer 6.5.0

Apologies if this is the wrong forum for this question; I figured since it was a 24p-related question it might have the best chance of getting solved here.

I'm trying to edit some 1080p "24p" (23.98 in reality) GoPro footage from my HD Hero2. I converted the .mp4 clips to .mov files using the GoPro Cineform Studio program. Here's the data on the clips I'm using to verify:

GoPro Clip Data 

Here's the problem though — I opened a new project in Avid (1080p/23.976) and linked to AMA as I usually do for editing. I started picking out my in/out points and added a clip to the timeline and was surprised to see a green dot on my clip and a little tag on it telling me it was 23.98fps:

Sequence clip information 23.98

No biggie, I thought, I'll just transcode it and be done with it, only to be told upon clicking "Transcode" that the clip (and all the other GoPro clips) does not match the edit rate of my project and must be converted. I could just bite the bullet and transcode it, however that leads to some strange ghosting in the image (I'm guessing from pulldown or the removal of .01 frames per second?) See image below for comparison. Original clip on left, transcoded on right:

Ghosting example from transcoding clip

Only reason I'd like to render/transcode is to allow for smoother playback in the preview monitor and in the sequence. If I could do the whole thing in AMA and know for certain that when exporting that the ghosting wouldn't occur, then I would.

TL;DR — Avid sequence not recognizing 23.98 footage as 23.976 and forces me to render or transcode clip, resulting in strange jittering/ghosting. Wondering if I'm missing a step or setting, or if this is just what happens with GoPro/23.98 footage in a 23.976 sequence.

Thanks for y'alls help in advance. This is a hugely frustrating thing that I'm guessing probably has a simple solution. Looking forward to y'alls replies and suggestions.

--Joe

15" MacBook Pro Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 (11C74) 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 processor 8 GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 RAM Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB graphics/AMD Radeon... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 7 2013 2:34 AM In reply to

Re: 23.98 footage does not match edit rate of 23.976 sequence?

This thread should help you out:

http://c2.avid.com/forums/p/112463/651116.aspx

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 28 2014 3:52 AM In reply to

• Don Stroud
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, May 26 2011
    • Posts 7
    • Points 95

Joe, did you ever find a solution to your problem? I'm having the same issue, trying to transcode both MOVs and MP4s that are 23.98, but Avid wants to convert them because of different "edit rates".

Thanks in advance!

Don

• Mon, Jul 28 2014 8:58 AM In reply to

Did you try this?

I have seen odd QT framerates sometimes, both in QT and in MC.

You can force AMA to a certain framerate by using a Console command:

SetAMAQTForcedFrameRate true 23.976 -- or whatever frame rate you would like

SetAMAQTForcedFrameRate false 0

Use at your own risk, features like this that can only be activated through the console are untested, and not fully supported.

P.S.: This feature does nothing to sound, the sound will remain the same speed and sample rate.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Aug 3 2014 12:07 PM In reply to

• jdwyer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Nov 6 2011
    • Posts 4
    • Points 60

Don Stroud:

Joe, did you ever find a solution to your problem? I'm having the same issue, trying to transcode both MOVs and MP4s that are 23.98, but Avid wants to convert them because of different "edit rates".

Thanks in advance!

Don

Hi Don, apologies for the late reply. The solution that I came to was to use MPEG Streamclip to transcode the original GoPro footage files to DNxHD 145 or 200 (not sure exactly which, sorry. The project is on a old hard drive I can't access right now) For some reason transcoding the files through MPEG Streamclip gave me useable 23.976fps clips without the jitters or ghosting that Avid was giving me.

I've since upgraded to the new GoPro 3+, but have not shot anything yet to edit with. Am currently working on a project where I'm using it, but it will be a few months before I get to post to see if Avid plays any nicer with the new camera 24p files.

The command line solution above is intriguing, and if you're like me and like to stay within Avid instead of whipping out 3rd party programs to transcode footage and possibly lose quality, I'd give it a shot. If you do, let us know how it goes.

Best of luck. 

15" MacBook Pro Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 (11C74) 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 processor 8 GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 RAM Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB graphics/AMD Radeon... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller