Latest post Mon, Aug 5 2013 6:11 PM by Pixel Monkey. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Aug 1 2013 6:12 PM

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,223
    • Points 15,380
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Geeked [8-|] Restoring a 12-year-old project - freaking cool!

Love, LOVE Media Composer.

Back in 2001 I directed and edited an hour-long music show for broadcast featuring Slash (in his Snakepit band at the time). It was done on the Media Composer 9000 with version 10.5 (I think).

I archived it to DigiBETA using the Archive-to-Videotape function. (Cue George Carlin saying "High tech $#!+, Dave").

I just found the original project, so for fun I'm restoring it all using today's Media Composer and a NitrisDX box. I highlighted the Archive sequence and the master sequence. Hit "Restore from Videotape".

Whammo -- I'm back in 2001! (Minus the hair.) Everything came back perfect. Now I can upgrade the mix to 5.1, bump it up to HD and redo the graphics and some effects.

Awesome.

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: Follow @heybove

Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD

• Thu, Aug 1 2013 7:14 PM In reply to

• Pheral
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Sylva, NC USA
    • Posts 966
    • Points 12,235

Re: Restoring a 12-year-old project - freaking cool!

Are there a bunch of places in the edit where you kind of cringe and say, "What was I thinking?" to yourself?

That's what would be happening with me.

Otherwise, agrree with you completely about the ability to restore projects.

Media Composer v8.9.2 | Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit | Supermicro X10DAi | Intel Xeon E5-2620 v4 Broadwell (x2) | Noctua NH-D9DX i4 (x2) | PNY GeForce... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 2 2013 1:13 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,372
    • Points 96,860

Pheral:
    Are there a bunch of places in the edit where you kind of cringe and say, "What was I thinking?" to yourself?

That's what would be happening with me.

Not so long ago I worked on a TV special featuring content that I had first cut on CMX 340 (2" reel-to-reel) in 1977.  I definitely saw places where I asked "What was I thinking?" - and very definitely cringed, too!

More recently I've had to restore Avid projects that others had created from around 8-10 years back.  Expected trouble, got absolutely none, apart from the usual when trying to get your head around someone else's workflow.

There aren't too many companies offering that degree of backward compatibility.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 2 2013 2:05 AM In reply to

jwrl:
    There aren't too many companies offering that degree of backward compatibility.
    I havewell over 100 RT11 floppies from the era you and I worked in the same small town. You were on Lightworks  for that project I believe.

I also have one CPU with an appropriate SCSI card to access the boxes of Zip and Jazz (some that still do not have the clickof death) drives with very early Avid Projects and Protools sessions on them. Should probably just bin it all Geeked

• Fri, Aug 2 2013 3:47 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,372
    • Points 96,860

RT11, eh?  What size - please don't tell me single-sided 8"!  (I've just remembered - you were using a GVG editor, so you would most likely have had 3.5" media.)

And yes, Andrew, you do remember correctly.  It was indeed Lightworks.  And I still have a working Lightworks licence.

But I wouldn't attempt to restore a Lightworks project from back then.  There have been too many changes - although the original Mark I Lightworks console that I bought in the early '90s still works with the current system.  There isn't too much computer hardware you can say that about.

AndrewAction:
    I also have one CPU with an appropriate SCSI card to access the boxes of Zip and Jazz (some that still do not have the clickof death) drives
    The click of death!  I've still got some Zip and Jazz media in storage somewhere.  I no longer have any drives, but the media only holds software development projects anyway.  We have hardcopy printouts of all the source, so it isn't really an issue.

It's a bit hard to do hardcopy printouts of all the source with video media.  Besides, think of all the trees you'd need to fell even if you could.

This is getting really weird now.  I'll do a deal with you.  If you never mention any of this again, neither will I!

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 2 2013 6:32 AM In reply to

3.5 GVG yes.

jwrl:
    I'll do a deal with you
    Done

• Fri, Aug 2 2013 11:20 PM In reply to

• Hershleder
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles, California, USA
    • Posts 150
    • Points 1,790
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      BlogAuthor

My personal record is using a project and the original OMF media from 2005 in a new HD project in 2012. No problems.

MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz, i7 – OS 10.10.5 – 16 GB RAM – MC version 8.6.x - Adobe CC. [view my complete system specs]

Use your Avid super-powers for good, not evil:

"The Avid Media Composer Cookbook"

http://tinyurl.com/avidmc-book

• Mon, Aug 5 2013 5:34 PM In reply to

• Pheral
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Sylva, NC USA
    • Posts 966
    • Points 12,235

I have the original project files (on CD) and DigiBeta Masters from a project I did on a Mac based Merdian system in 2001 that I would love to try and restore (so I can "fix it".  See aforementioned cringe in this thread).  I even have the original exported AC3 files from a 5.1 surround mix to go with it.

Alas, i have no access to a DigiBeta deck.

Media Composer v8.9.2 | Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit | Supermicro X10DAi | Intel Xeon E5-2620 v4 Broadwell (x2) | Noctua NH-D9DX i4 (x2) | PNY GeForce... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Aug 5 2013 5:42 PM In reply to

Pheral:
    Alas, i have no access to a DigiBeta deck.
    Recently I had to pay $400 a day (plus freight) to hire one. Whilst looking for an available DigiBeta deck I was tempted by the numerios DigiBeta decks available on eBay for not much more than a one day hire. (14 days to freight it from the US was the killer for this idea)

• Mon, Aug 5 2013 6:11 PM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,223
    • Points 15,380
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Shame... I have two sitting right here. Hooked to my station's HDSDI router, so you could even capture into a 1080i project.

Next time you're near Buffalo, NY...

Stick out tongue

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: Follow @heybove

Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller