Latest post Fri, Jul 26 2013 6:37 PM by Dario Bigi. 18 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (19 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jul 21 2013 5:55 PM In reply to

• Dario Bigi
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 12 2013
    • New York City
    • Posts 10
    • Points 120

Re: DPX Consolidation - Avid / Resolve Media Support - Request

The problem is my source LTO-5 and my available space.

If I can extract individual dpx files from the lab roll via some software reading the EDL, I'm golden.

I will be conforming the film as well as grading it. As of now, all processes point to having all the footage online and then consolidation, prior to grading.  

Some recommendations for my EDL from LTO consolidation in leu of having everything online are... Resolve Connect, CatDV, EDL_Spy, and Hiero .  It may even be possible to selectively do it in Resolve without needing to have all the footage online to consolidate from but it's not a recommended process due to LTO as a media source prior to copying.

Tests coming this week.  I will update the thread.

• Sun, Jul 21 2013 6:20 PM In reply to

How about something along the lines of sorting the EDL by Lab Roll and then splitting the EDL up by Lab Roll. So if you have a total of five Lab Rolls you have five EDLs, one for each Lab Roll.

Your restore Lab Roll 1 from the LTO tape to a hard drive. And use the Lab Roll 1 EDL to add portions of its DPX files to Resolve's media pool. And then repeat the process for the other Lab Rolls. After doing all that, import the show's real EDL into Resolve.

I have no idea if this (or some variation of it) would work or help. But the concept behind it is to avoid having all 22TB's online at once. If you can divide and conquer by Lab Roll it might help.

Good luck!

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Sun, Jul 21 2013 7:05 PM In reply to

• Dario Bigi
    • Not Ranked
    • New York City
    • Posts 10
    • Points 120

That's the theory but one lab roll is one day's worth of footage.  25 day shoot.  A full LTO-5 will take an hour to transfer.  25 plus hours, not including tape load time, search time, etc. (Three days in the end)  Not to mention the export/copy process from Resolve to another drive to consolodate. The Media Pool is only a path reference.

Ideally it's load what you need from the LTO via the EDL.  It looks like I have solutions via the software I mentioned.  EDL_Spy is looking very promising, as is CatDV.

Thanks for your input.

• Fri, Jul 26 2013 6:37 PM In reply to

• Dario Bigi
    • Not Ranked
    • New York City
    • Posts 10
    • Points 120

The Gods of the Visible Spectrum smile upon me! (or they smile upon Nikolai Waldman of Resolve Collect and I'm just plain lucky!) The update for Resolve Collect (v1.1) has solved my workflow constraint. http://www.niwa.nu/resolve-collect/?goback=%2Enmp_*1_*1_*1_*1_*1_*1_*1_*1_*1_*1%2Egmr_1788736%2Egde_1788736_member_260532945 In Resolve, I can see an LTO-5 formatted LTFS, using Quantum's LTFS Manager (I am using a Quantum LTO Drive). http://www.quantum.com/ServiceandSupport/SoftwareandDocumentationDownloads/LTFS/Index.aspx?whattab=Third Also needed is OSXFuse (of which there is a link in the LTFS installer). http://osxfuse.github.io and additional .pkg(s) ICUFramework.pkg and LinearTapeFileSystem.pkg which need to be installed so Resolve can see the LTO-5 as a source partition. Follow normal BMD EDL Conform procedures (RTFM).  (When linking to the LTO the still images show up as grey in the timeline, not offline.) Following the Resolve Collect procedures, the files were consolidated as per my specification within the program.  Linking back to the collected files, after throwing the original files offline went smoothly. I highly recommend creating separate Bins in the Media Pool to keep track of original full files vs. collected files. Also creating a separate "LTO version" of your project to work with would be wise.  I have not done this process AFTER grading the files.  I am doing this BEFORE starting to Grade to limit my file sizes on my RAID.  This is also done for "Trim R3D Media within the Conform Page. In the RED Trim instance the Grades do not relink to the trimmed files AFTER you Grade. I will do further tests with this Post Grading but not any time soon. Thanks to everyone who replied, for their time and suggestions. Special thanks to Nikolai Waldman for creating the program. Be well,
Page 2 of 2 (19 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller