Latest post Sat, Jul 13 2013 1:39 PM by TVJohn. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jul 11 2013 1:39 PM

• damiaanp
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 11 2013
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40

CPU question

Hi!

I'am going to film school (directing department | spec. Film Editing) & i really need to buy new machine. I will be using Avid & maybe Premiere. I heard that Avid supports Intel processors and geforce graphics and somethimes there is a problem with AMD & Radeon units.. I'm on a budget so I want to get :

AMD FX-8320 (8x 3,5Ghz) 

GeFoce Quadro 600

16GB ddr3 Ram 1600

hard disk, motherboard, blueray and other crap "minor matter"..

So can i get this cpu & what about the graphic card it will make a difference ?

• Thu, Jul 11 2013 2:21 PM In reply to

Re: CPU question

Please refer to the the Avid Qualified Systems List.  Note that none are AMD.  All graphics cards are nVidia Quadro Series (not GeForce).  The correct video card & driver are considered by many as THE most critical part of of the system.

Rather than buy/build something unsupported, you might consider buying a refurbished supported, system.  My source in SoCal is http://www.itcreations.com/workstation_hp/index.html.  They can build custom too.  So, you can pick a CPU and video card.  Also, check out the HP Outlet Store.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Fri, Jul 12 2013 1:26 AM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,328
    • Points 53,495

You could download the trial and test. For what its worth, I've run Avid from version 4 to 6 with an AMD 965 quadcore cpu. Runs without a hitch.

I would recommend you use the FX 990 chipset, that is their top performing silicone.

Premiere supports a number of cards Quadro, GTX and AMD radeon cards...

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/tech-specs.edu.html

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 8.4. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 15/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Fri, Jul 12 2013 2:37 AM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 16 2006
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,770
    • Points 44,485
    • Moderator: MCA PC

Randal's advice is good since you're probably going to depend on the system working when you need it most (for work or school).  Sticking with approved (qualified) systems means you'll be able to get support from Avid if something doesn't work right.

John and I have taken pretty much the same approach except for graphics cards.  I've never liked ATI/AMD's OpenGL support so I've stuck with Nvidia cards.  There are things in MC which need good OpenGL support.  You might not ever run into a case with MC when you need better OpenGL for an effect or something else but who knows?  I have used MC successfully (for my needs) going back to version 2.x with AMD CPUs and either ATI or Nvidia graphics.  As I noted, I didn't like how a couple of ATI graphics cards handled OpenGL where MC needed it so I went back to Nvidia only for graphics - every system I have uses Nvidia graphics and all are Geforce, not Quadro.  I still use MC 5.x on a system with an AMD CPU and I use MC7 on a system with an Intel CPU.

One thing about trying a Geforce graphics card in an otherwise qualified system is that you can swap it for a Quadro if you later decide to use Avid Support.  You can't just swap a CPU or graphics card later to have a qualified system if you don't start off with a qualified motherboard.  Avid's use of the term "qualified" basically means that Avid has tested the system's configuration and found it to work reliably.

So, if you don't mind fixing trouble without Avid Support, you can experiment with non-qualified systems.  Avid Support is Avid's official tech support, by the way.  You can always find help here from the volunteers but that's not quite the same when you're up against a deadline.

Sys. 1: Sony VAIO VPCF13UFX/B, Intel Core i7-740QM (1.73GHz), 4GB RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit), Nvidia Geforce 310M, MC 8.7 Sys. 2: Acer Aspire... [view my complete system specs]

Scott

• Sat, Jul 13 2013 1:39 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,328
    • Points 53,495

It is interesting to note the extensive list of Amd graphics approved under the new CS requirements, as CS utilizes both OpenGL and OpenCL.

The earlier comment re the Quadro 600 as a possible choice for both MC and CS is a no go, not enough guts for the Adobe playback engine.

What many appear to lose sight of is that students funds are limited, and often older machines perform rather poorly, especially running concurrent tasks as students tend to do. 

It should be noted that Avid lists the on board graphics (Intel HD4000) of the i7 as an approved graphics "card".

Much of the dismissal of AMD cpus dates back to the VIA KT chipsets and compatability problems with Firewire devices. ~A long time ago.

The AMD designed FX990 chipset paired with the Vishera core CPU is a fine value for roughly half the cost of an Intel equal. For someone learning and on a tight budget a reasonable consideration.

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 8.4. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 15/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller