Latest post Wed, Jun 26 2013 7:56 PM by mtahir. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 25 2013 1:42 PM

• mtahir
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • UK
    • Posts 479
    • Points 5,850

Mojo capture issue in MC5.5.3

I needed to capture some SD material and I used the component cable for the Mojo. After around 40 or so seconds, MC stops capturing wth an error and the composer window showa a picture as if it's out of sync i.e. as if you need to adjust the vertical hold to get the picture lined up again. Also, the picture is split horizontally and vertically.

I went back to a WinXP partition with Avid XPress Pro 5.8.4 and it all worked flawlessly first time. To me that says it's not my PC or the Mojo, it's something to do with MC5.5.3/Windows 7 64-bit. I suspect it's the driver. There is another issues which I raised some 3 years ago about the 002 and Mojo not working together which seems to point to the audio driver (http://community.avid.com/forums/p/85005/671020.aspx#671020).

Mojo is supposed to be supported in MC5.5. I do have MC6 but I don't use it because I need Mojo for downconvert to SD mainly for my external monitor and for capture.

MC2018.1 (Win7) | Dell T7500 with 2 x 6-Core Intel Xeon X5690 3.46GHz CPUs | Triple-Channel 64GB (32GB per CPU) 1333MHz DDR3 EEC FBDIMM | 3GB nVidia Quadro... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 25 2013 2:45 PM In reply to

• mattman
    • Not Ranked
    • Fort Myers, Florida
    • Posts 176
    • Points 2,365

Re: Mojo capture issue in MC5.5.3

For what it is worth. I am using an analog mojo with 5.5.1 with no problems on windows 7 64 bit. I don't leave it connected all the time, but when I go to use it, it works.

Matt

Media Composer ASUS P8Z77-V Premium, Win 7 Pro, i7-3770K processor, 32 gig ddr3 ram, 4 2TB gig Sata III drives, raid 5, 3WARE Sas 9750-4I Sata III... [view my complete system specs]

Mattman

Life is good, eternal life is better.

• Tue, Jun 25 2013 6:12 PM In reply to

• mtahir
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • UK
    • Posts 479
    • Points 5,850

Thanks, Matt. We're on different versions - 5.5.1 vs 5.5.3 - Don't know if there is something in that. Do you capture analog or is it DV? No idea why but it just cuts out on me.

MC2018.1 (Win7) | Dell T7500 with 2 x 6-Core Intel Xeon X5690 3.46GHz CPUs | Triple-Channel 64GB (32GB per CPU) 1333MHz DDR3 EEC FBDIMM | 3GB nVidia Quadro... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 25 2013 8:08 PM In reply to

• mtahir
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • UK
    • Posts 479
    • Points 5,850

The screenshot shows the capture from the component output from a Sony Blu-ray player.

Filed under: , ,
  • Tue, Jun 25 2013 8:38 PM In reply to

• jdrouette
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 360
    • Points 4,735

Two thoughts on the matter:

1. Are you trying to capture a copyrighted DVD/Blu-ray? Those would be protected.

2. Is your player set to output progressive? I believe the Mojo will only take an interlaced signal. You can check in your player's output settings.

Avid Media Composer 2018.10 Symphony option, Avid Artist DNxID on macOS 10.14, iMac Pro (2017) 10-Core, 3.0GHz Intel Xeon W, Turbo Boost up to 4.5GHz,... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 26 2013 12:38 AM In reply to

• mattman
    • Not Ranked
    • Fort Myers, Florida
    • Posts 176
    • Points 2,365

Okay really only use my mojo to print to Betas as everything I do starts as HD now days.  So, I thought I would try capturing to see if it still worked.  I have just now captured from Beta component to 3:1 mxf.  No problems.  btw, never use mojo anymore for DV capture as a lot of what I do has closed captions and the mojo won't pass through the captions at least on the way out to tape.  So I only use my mojo for beta dubs.  Anyway, the only thing I can think of looking at your error message is you may have time code checked, but are not inputting timecode that it understands.  This would cause it to sense that there is nothing going in.  I suppose you have tried crash recording without timecode?

The other thing you could try as a work around is capture with xp and then import the bin into your windows 7 environment for a better edit experience.  Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Media Composer ASUS P8Z77-V Premium, Win 7 Pro, i7-3770K processor, 32 gig ddr3 ram, 4 2TB gig Sata III drives, raid 5, 3WARE Sas 9750-4I Sata III... [view my complete system specs]

Mattman

Life is good, eternal life is better.

• Wed, Jun 26 2013 2:22 AM In reply to

• mtahir
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • UK
    • Posts 479
    • Points 5,850

Thanks for the replies and thanks Mattman for doing the test. The exact same setup - player, DVD etc. - works with XPress Pro 5.8.4 in the WinXP partition. It captures first time without dropping a frame. The player is set to interlaced, not progressive and I'm certaintly capturing with TC off (crash record) as it won't do it any other way. As a workaroud, that's exactly what I'm doing - capturing in XP and then picking up the bin in MC.

I might have to try pulling it back to 5.5.1 to see if there is an issue with 5.5.3. I might have to do an uninstall/reinstall to see if it fixes anything.

• Wed, Jun 26 2013 7:48 AM In reply to

• mtahir
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • UK
    • Posts 479
    • Points 5,850

Just doing a test right now but it seems to be working. I'll report back with the results as soon as the testing is over.

• Wed, Jun 26 2013 9:54 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,414
    • Points 63,445

As of MC 5 the only certified firewire card for old Mojo and Adrenaline is the StarTech (see my sys specs) and another one that I can't remember right now, You can find it out by reading the MC 5 supported hardware documents and/or configuration guidelines for legacy systems over the Avid KB; MC 5 used to tolerate unsupported FW cards however, MC 5.x being equal to Avid XPress Pro 5.x, but MC 5.5 refused to work with non supported firewire controllers (previously working/supported) giving all sorts of errors, at least here, like I discovered the hard way; as usual YMMV. Before purchasing a new firewire card I'd try switching the firewire driver to legacy, and moving the FW controller (if not motherboard embedded) to a different slot.

Symphony 2018.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Wed, Jun 26 2013 5:47 PM In reply to

• mtahir
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • UK
    • Posts 479
    • Points 5,850

Thanks Luca. What I did was to re-install the Mojo driver. Then I went to Control Panel to check the drivers and discovered that the Firewire drivers were not in 'legacy' mode. Switching back probably solved it. Perhaps is was a combination of the two. I've managed to do two, 2 hour captures without a hitch.

Interesting about the StarTech cards as I'm still using the older ADS-PYRO supported ones (from the previous software versions). Although, Mojo is using the motherboard's Firewire Controller (not shared with anything). The 002 rack uses the ADS-PYRO card.

I'm not using SP1 with W7. I know MC is qualifed with it but is it essential? I tend to download the W7 patches from Microsoft but the not the security ones as I find it can really slow things down. Perhaps, I have some of the SP1 patches but not all.

• Wed, Jun 26 2013 6:28 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,414
    • Points 63,445

My pleasure, and after all You did it all by Yourself. The legacy FW driver is the thing IMHO. I was using a Pyro 64 as well when I was forced to buy the StarTech, according to Marianna the Agere chipset based FW controllers, such as the StarTech, have an onboard FIFO buffer required by the Avid DNAs on MC 5 and 5.5, either Your embedded controller has an Agere chipset or it has the needed FIFO buffer, whatever it is Your system now works, I'd leave it alone. I stick to what Avid recommends as for the OS and service pack, but since Your system appears to be in a well working state don't fix it, if it ain't broke.... SP1 brings a bunch of fixes, driver updates, and security patches, don't know what You have installed that belongs to SP1 (and beyond), but again, since everything works as it should if I was You I wouldn't touch anything.

Symphony 2018.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Wed, Jun 26 2013 7:56 PM In reply to

• mtahir
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • UK
    • Posts 479
    • Points 5,850

It has been working fine a long time. It's the first time I've done any analog video capture from the Mojo with MC as I only tend to use it when colour correcting, downconverting the HD to SD for viewing on a CRT. I've always had the drivers on legacy mode but I suspect when I was trying to get ProTools 8 to work a few months ago, with Mojo and the 002, I probably changed them. I'll have to double-check to see if ProTools/002 has an issue with them in this mode as I've always had them in legacy mode. I switched them back to legacy mode early this morning and, when it started to capture beyond 5 minutes, I thought that until it can do a two hour capture, with exactly the same setup as XPress Pro 5.8.4, I won't say it's a success. It seems that Mojo only has a problem when capturing if the drivers are not in legacy mode, not with downconverting from HD to SD, otherwise, I would have had this problem months ago.

I don't know what type of Firewire Controller is onboard the machine but it's a Dell690 which used to be qualified many moons ago. I obtained the segment map for the machine from Dell and organised all the hardware appropriately leaving Mojo on its own segment. I've not had any problems at all with it until now. I have captured analog audio only before without a problem and I suspect the drivers were on legacy mode for that as well.

I do have MC6.0 but on a different partition and since it doesn't support Mojo anymore, I'm using MC5. To be honest, I didn't really see any perfomance improvements over MC5, although, using AVCHD with AMA is something that is useful. Also, I found that MC6 handled AVHD imports much better in than MC5, with the latter stalling on some files that needed to be pre-processed before they could be imported. What I would like is for Avid to fix the issue with Mojo and the 002 connected to together which would help as this setup still supported in MC5.

As you say, Luca, once it's working, it's best to leave it. During this fault finding with Mojo, it did blue screen on me (I also had the 002 on at times) and in my experience it's usually best to go back to your previous image when that happens. It seems to have survived it and is working fine - at the moment.

Filed under: , , , ,
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller