Latest post Thu, Mar 15 2018 10:42 PM by Alejandro Galvan. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jun 16 2013 3:03 AM

Avid-to-Premiere Difficulties

I'm currently trying to send a project sequence via Dropbox to a client who is using Adobe Premiere (and using a PC). I've tried multiple methods of both creating a compatible AAF and creating an MOV, and he encounters an error in importing them every time (though with the AAF, the problem is only reconnecting the media files; the sequence works). For the MOV, I told him to download the Avid Codecs LE package, since the media files for the project were DNxHD 145, but the codecs are either not working or not affecting the process. The only other codecs I see that I can use to convert the media files/sequence for Adobe compatibility are AVC Intra 100 and XDCAM, but from what I understand, they should not be used for all types of footage or w/o a plug-in. 

The project type is 1080p. HD 1920X1080 16:9. With the AAF exports, I believe I've been using "Link to (Don't Export) Media." With the MOV export, I've been doing H.264 (would using "Avid MPEG2" or "MPEG-4" make it more compatible?) and AAC-formatted sound. The file size is huge, obviously, but I don't think that would affect anything. I'm going to try converting the MOV I already have to AVI using Wondershare Video Converter, but since my client already tried that on his end, my hopes aren't high.

If I were to transcode the media files to an Apple ProRes format, and my client used the Apple ProRes QT Decoder or a similar program on them, would he then be able to see the MOV/reconnect the AAF media? Or does the problem lie with something else? Anybody have any hints as to how to get this cross-NLE transfer to work?

Thanks!

• Sun, Jun 16 2013 4:41 AM In reply to

Re: Avid-to-Premiere Difficulties

I tried to do that one year ago without any success to relink the files. I remember that I import the timeline in final cut with Automatic Duck Pro Import (free plugin). When I have my sequence online in final cut, I export an XML that I finally import in Premiere without problem.

I read that aaf import should work much better in Premiere CS7, which should be release this month.

Avid Media Composer 7.0 on Mac [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jun 16 2013 1:19 PM In reply to

I beleive that when choosing the Link To (Don't Export) option, the media it's linking to would be the .mxf files in your Avid MediaFiles folder.  Premiere and other NLEs can't read the media in those folders and especially if you send the AAF off to someone else because the media is on your system. 

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Tue, Jun 18 2013 12:33 PM In reply to

It's working very well now with Premiere CC. You just have to export a aaf of the sequence (link to Audio and Video), import it in Premiere and it'll link automaticly with the DnxHD footages of Avid.

Avid Media Composer 7.0 on Mac [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 18 2013 2:12 PM In reply to

• Ben Wilson
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 10 2010
    • Columbia, SC
    • Posts 218
    • Points 2,500

If I were going to do an AAF export to send to someone, I would choose "Consolidate Media" to a folder for both audio and video.  That way, you can keep the AAF and the media together in one folder.

Also, for MOV, we have exported to DNxHD into MOV files before without much trouble.  As long as the other system ahd the latest AVID Codecs LE installed.

Several. 1x MC7.0.4 HP z800 dual XEON x5650-2.66GHz 12MB Ram Quadro FX3800 NitrisDX. 4 TB GSPEEDes storage. 2x MC 7.0.4 HP z420 MatroxLE. GSpeedQ 8TB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 18 2013 3:39 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,279
    • Points 219,095
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Alex

I have a Avid to Premiere workflow guide you might like to read.

Send me an email....

Marianna 

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Tue, Jun 18 2013 10:36 PM In reply to

Thank you for the tips, everyone! I think we found a way to make this work by using a video converter after exporting the .mov. I need to send off this sequence as soon as possible, but after he has it, I will experiment with the methods mentioned here for future reference. 

One question: Kenton, I did "Link to (Don't Export)," but I also sent him copies of the actual mxfs as well (or at least some of them, before we realized it wasn't working). Was that equivalent to doing "Consolidate Media," or is using that option still worth a try?

• Tue, Sep 23 2014 4:48 PM In reply to

• SGrinton
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 23 2014
    • Posts 1
    • Points 15

I know this is an old thread but I am trying to bring an HD video from AMC 3.5 on a PC to Premiere Pro CC on a Mac via Sorenson Squeeze 5. Is this even possible? I've tried multiple encodes/formats/codecs without success.

Marianna you mentioned you had a workflow guide available. I'd like to review it if you still have it. Thanks.

• Tue, Jan 13 2015 2:04 AM In reply to

Well , you can try to transcode your original files by MPEG then reload them to PP.

• Thu, Mar 15 2018 10:42 PM In reply to

Hello, the company that I work for are thinking of switching to Adobe Premier (don't want to but our NAS if forcing us too) how can I send you my email, or if I give you a dropbox link could you upload it? I need to start doing my best research to make it easy on us going doing the switch.

Avid Media Composer 8.3 W/Nitris DX, HP Workstation z820, Windows 7 64bit, 16gb Ram, Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2640 0 @ 2.50GHz 2.50GHz (2 processors) [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller