Latest post Thu, Aug 31 2017 10:42 PM by BobbyMurcerFan. 281 replies.
Page 4 of 19 (282 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 4 2013 6:12 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,442
    • Points 63,775

Re: Larry Rubin

Caught by surprise, You shouldn't have done it Larry...

Symphony 2018.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Tue, Jun 4 2013 6:39 PM In reply to

Re: RIP Larry Rubin

Larry was such a wonderful guy, who gave so much of his time and knowledge for no other reason than to help other people.  He'll be sorely missed.

Media Composer 2018.11 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Tue, Jun 4 2013 6:40 PM In reply to

• flashcutter
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 21 2006
    • New York
    • Posts 239
    • Points 2,860

Larry was a national resource for many of us. Leaves a real vacuum. He helped us through many a dilemma and was a font of wise information....RIP Larry. One of a kind.

MAC PRO OS 10.7.5 Dual 2.28 GHZ DUAL-CORE XEON, 16GB 800 MHZ DDR2-FB-DIMM, MC 7 with Symphony Option, BCC9, Sapphire 7, Magic Bullet, NewBlue Filters... [view my complete system specs]

Jonathan Moser www.flashcutproductions.com "Nothing's impossible...if you're not the one who has to do it..."

• GT
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • South Africa
    • Posts 367
    • Points 4,000

Larry, You helped people all over the world. The world is a poorer place today.

MC Ver 8.7, Intel Core I5, NVidia Quadro FX 570, 16Gb Ram, 250 Gb system drive, 2 Tb Render/Media drive, Windows 7 64bit Pro, QT 7.6.6 [view my complete system specs]

I feel the need to express my thx to Avid as the banner above the forums shows the respect he deserves. I somehow wish we find a way to let his spirit life on in these forums. I wish I knew how... maybe by pinning some of his threads. If I could I would like "a statue" for him here so that we always remember him, his wisdom and most of all his kindness and the energy he put in helping others..

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Tue, Jun 4 2013 6:45 PM In reply to

WTF?!?! Totally caught me by surprise!!!

He was a friend and a very good person.

I'm beyond sad, I'm ANGRY.

How did that happen? When? Why?

Lenovo E32 ThinkStation Intel Xeon E3-1245,16GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 600 (1 GB), Windows 10 Pro x64 (up to date) USB 3.0, Lite-On SSD 256GB System Drive... [view my complete system specs]

Remembering my friend Larry Rubin

"Art can't exist without Craft"

• Tue, Jun 4 2013 6:47 PM In reply to

Rest in Peace Larry. your thoughtful wisdom, support, patience, knowledge so generously shared with SO MANY both on and off these forums WILL be fondly remembered.

An early inspiration for me was following Larry's support for SEP, a active French forum member he had never met outside these forums, throughout his illness and untimely passing.  Larry continued to help and comfort SEP's widow through the following years.

I am sure many others have similar memories of Larry's, above the call of duty, generosity with his time and spirit.

Larry my truly inspirational friend.

• Tue, Jun 4 2013 6:52 PM In reply to

• Andyman
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 111
    • Points 1,565

Thank you Larry for all the help you have given me and many others. Apparently heaven needed some Avid tech help, too. RIP.

MC 5.5.3, Nitris DX, HP Z400, Win 7 Pro

• Tue, Jun 4 2013 6:53 PM In reply to

Please, somebody tell me what happened!

INCREDIBLY SAD!!!

Lenovo E32 ThinkStation Intel Xeon E3-1245,16GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 600 (1 GB), Windows 10 Pro x64 (up to date) USB 3.0, Lite-On SSD 256GB System Drive... [view my complete system specs]

Remembering my friend Larry Rubin

"Art can't exist without Craft"

• Tue, Jun 4 2013 6:56 PM In reply to

• Daniel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 26 2012
    • London
    • Posts 32
    • Points 355

My thoughts are with his family and friends at this terrible time. 

I live in London and can safely say Larry gave so much help and advice it was like he was just round the corner. I changed jobs and went to a facility that was Avid free , for a few years so although we sent each other the odd email we didn't message each other every day like we used to.

After Sep died Larry was very kind to send me some pictures he had , as I also used to to talk to him a lot too , which I was very grateful for.

Larry was an exceptional engineer who's knowledge of systems , software , plugins & hardware was unbelievable , the most dynamic skill set I've seen. Patient very kind , very generous with his time , good humoured & probably the greatest contributor on here.

Larry thank you for all the help you gave me in and outside the forums we will miss you a great deal.

Avid Symphony 6.01 on Mac Pro & Media Composer 6.5 on Mac Pro I used to be Blue Crow [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under:
  • Tue, Jun 4 2013 6:56 PM In reply to

• Pheral
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Sylva, NC USA
    • Posts 966
    • Points 12,235

This is so terribly sad.  Larry helped me on a number of occasions in response to my personal messages, and I'm sure in the midst of his busy schedule.  He has been a huge presence on these forums over the years, and I will miss him as a voice of reason here.

Media Composer v8.9.2 | Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit | Supermicro X10DAi | Intel Xeon E5-2620 v4 Broadwell (x2) | Noctua NH-D9DX i4 (x2) | PNY GeForce... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 4 2013 7:03 PM In reply to

• Pheral
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Sylva, NC USA
    • Posts 966
    • Points 12,235

I had messaged Larry recently to ask about long term storage solutions and in pariicular to ask what the Pentagon Channel used if he was able to tell me.  He responded with a long, thoughtful, in-depth overview with suggestions for what mght work well for the small county government I work for and wrapped it up with an offer to take me on a tour of his workplace the next time I was in D.C.  I would have been happy for a couple of sentences, but that was the kind of guy he was for me on several occaasions.

I am deeply saddened by this development.

Media Composer v8.9.2 | Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit | Supermicro X10DAi | Intel Xeon E5-2620 v4 Broadwell (x2) | Noctua NH-D9DX i4 (x2) | PNY GeForce... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 4 2013 7:03 PM In reply to

"... maybe by pinning some of his threads ..."

Here's a quote from Larry's posts that we all have memorized now, thanks to Larry.  Cut & paste when appropriate Wink

... be sure to observe the Avid Media Folder Management Ground Rules:

1) The "Avid MediaFiles" folder (for MXF media) and the "OMFI MediaFiles" folder (for OMF media if you have any) MUST reside at the root level of the media drive, never inside any other folders or the system will not find the media. The directory should be X:\Avid MediaFiles\MXF\1 where X is the specific media drive.

2) The folder names must always be the exact factory default names listed above (minus the quotes) or the system will not find the media.

3) There can be only one of each folder type on any given media drive.

After you move media folders between drives, the media database needs to be rebuilt to update it as to the new locations of the files. Quit the application. Then, from each numerical folder inside the MXF folder inside the Avid MediaFiles folder, delete the two files that identify by type as "MSM Media Database" also identified as "msmFMID.pmr" and "msmMMOB.mdb" . If you have an OMFI MediaFiles folder, delete the same two files. On re-launch, the system will detect the missing files and build new ones at the "Initializing Media Streams Manager" stage. You will see the system go into a scanning and indexing mode at this point. Depending on the number of media drives and total amount of media on your system this could take a while, so good time for a meal break.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Tue, Jun 4 2013 7:05 PM In reply to

• Ken Lent
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 18 2007
    • California
    • Posts 120
    • Points 1,270

RIP Larry--great mentor to so many of us on the forums.  Will miss you and your advice.

Core i7 930 PC 2.8GHz / 18GB RAM / Win7 Pro 64bit SP1 / nVidia Quadro K2200 (driver 375.86) / MC 8.8.5 (Symphony/PF/SS) / BCC AVX 10.0.2 / NewBlue Titler... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 4 2013 7:05 PM In reply to

• Bad_Jason
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jun 16 2011
    • Posts 18
    • Points 230

Hi folks, i'd like to share a bit.

No matter if I was Googling the answer to an Avid/post related question or asking directly on one of the various Avid user forums, it seemed like Larry Rubin was ALWAYS in the mix to help solve my particular issue(s).

When I think of all of the things I learned from his posts over the last 10+ or so years, it's sort of mind-blowing to me. Quite frankly, in many ways, I owe much of my achievement in this business to Larry.  In 99-2000 or so, I was just a 20 something y/o college student in Houston, Texas trying to figure out how to carve out a career in post.  All I had was a homebrew non-certified PC, DV Xpress  (Vers.1 I think?) and a dial up connection.  Long story short, 12-13 years later, here I sit in Los Angeles... working comfortably in the world of television post.  It's safe to say, I learned more about the tech side of this business (which got my foot in the door when I moved to LA in '03) from Larry (and a handful of others) than any book or college course.  And to think, i never even I got to shake the man's hand.

I don't know what other to say than... Thank you Larry for being so generous with your time and knowledge. You were a real mensch.

~JWood

Page 4 of 19 (282 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller