Latest post Fri, Nov 15 2013 2:11 AM by Telegram!. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, May 24 2013 10:27 AM

In addition to this screen grab, I have uploaded my Avid Bin including the 5 RTAS FX shown.

This is something I always wanted for my personal bag of tricks: a quick way to sub-frame edit audio on the timeline, i.e. edit or sync audio in relation to picture, tighter than 1 frame.

Thanks to RTAS, it is possible and in real-time, using the DELAY RTAS fx.

I'm now using v7.0.4, but made this bin in v5.5.3.

What I can do now is simply drag one of the RTAS FX from my bin onto an audio clip on the timeline, which brings up an Avid "i" box that reads: Add an audio insert to track A2 (or whichever track I dropped fx on). Select insert: 1 -2 -3-4 -5-Cancel.

Drag and drop will change delay instantly-- but I have yet to see a way of showing a correponding shift in that track's waveform.

I have also learned that I can make a copy of a master clip that I suspect is slightly out of sync, and then set up a Group Clip (by In-point) of that Original AND the copy. On the copy, I advance one or two frames to set its Mark-In. This means I can deliberately introduce a greater-than-1 frame offset and use RTAS Delay FX to get the sub-frame adjustment as close as I want. (5 banks of RTAS FX available per track). So this method just requires an initial step of duplicating a masterclip, then Grouping by In-point (where the copied masterclip has Mark-In set 1 frame (or more) later than the original), and finally choosing the copied audio with RTAS delay FX on the timeline.

Strictly speaking- there is no need to make a Groupclip if the original audio is already advanced vs. the picture.

I expect to be using these FX with DSLR footage to help perfect sync when separate audio from an external recorder is not quite right.

Good luck, enjoy and have a nice weekend!

DOWNLOAD MY BIN

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , , ,
  • Sat, May 25 2013 8:03 PM In reply to

• conleec
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 1,315
    • Points 17,010

Re: RTAS Frame Slipper FX - TBA

Nice trick, assuming all the dailies are off by the same amount. The bummer with RTAS plugins in Media Composer is that they're not keyframeable, making them almost useless, except for things like compressors and maybe a dedicated reverb track.

Chris

MacPro 3.33Ghz 12 Core (Westmere, MacPro 5,1), 48Gb RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 680, Intensity Pro (Desktop Video 10.4.3), OS X 10.12.2, MC 8.8.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, May 26 2013 12:12 AM In reply to

conleec:

Nice trick,

Thanks, Chris. Yeah, nothing is ever perfect. I'm glad to now have the new sub-frame Slip tool (thank-you, Avid!) for pulling out something objectionable from a dicey edit.

7/2018 EDIT: So this little workaround is only useful for older MC versions...

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Nov 15 2013 2:11 AM In reply to

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller