Latest post Thu, May 23 2013 7:50 AM by jwrl. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, May 21 2013 9:03 PM

Can I modify an ALE with Microsoft Excel?

My post team has gathered a considerable amount of music licensed for our multi-season show to one master bin. I have a .xls document from the music vendor with a column of descriptions matched to each clip in their library. I'd like to add a column to the music bin view that includes the text descriptions for each music clip. 

I exported an ALE of the music bin with a blank column called "Description." I pasted the vendor's desricption column into the ALE using Excel, and saved the new file with the same format (text, tab delimited), name and extension. In Avid I think I want to import the clips using the Shot Log setting "Merge Events with known master clips," but the new .ALE file does not import: nothing happens after I click Open.

Should I use Log Exchange or a text editor to edit the new ALE and make it import correctly? Has anyone used Excel and ALEs for a similar purpose with success?

• Wed, May 22 2013 12:59 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,317
    • Points 96,135

Re: Can I modify an ALE with Microsoft Excel?

You can, but there are issues to look out for.  In this case you can absolutely guarantee that Excel has not exported exactly what you require.

It's a while since I've had to do this, but the things that I would check are these.  Make sure that known file extensions are not hidden, then check what Excel has really called your file.  It may not be filename.ale, but really filename.ale.txt or similar.  If that's the case rename the file.

The next thing to check is whether Excel has truncated empty trailing fields.  You may have each line ending in a series of tabs followed by a new line character.  Excel may be dropping those tabs and just using the new line.  The fix is to have a dummy final field that you fill with a redundant character.  That way you will preserve all fields when you export from Excel.

As I said, it's a while since I've needed to do this, so that's all I've got.  Hope it helps.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 22 2013 5:58 PM In reply to

Thanks jwrl for your prompt response! I don't think Excel is truncating the trailing field. I'm able to open the new ALE file in Avid log exchange, and each line appears to have the same trailing field as the original ALE.

• Thu, May 23 2013 7:50 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,317
    • Points 96,135

If you can open it in ALE, can you make a pointless modification there then resave it?  That will force a rebuild of the file which you should then be able to import into Avid.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller