Latest post Fri, May 17 2013 2:38 PM by Terry Snyder. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, May 17 2013 10:09 AM

• ER-EM
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 5 2011
    • Paris-France
    • Posts 45
    • Points 580

Is there a way to refocus a blurry shot

Hy everybody,

I must correct a shot which is lightly blurry. For the moment I apply BCC Noise Reduction.

I'd like to know if there's another effect that give better results.

Many thanks in advance for your repplies.

Richard

Avid Symphony 6.0.3.3 - Dongle activation MacPro 2x2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 16Go Ram - ATI Radeon HD 5770 - 2x 4To 7200rpm in Raid 0 - Os X 10.7.5... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 17 2013 10:34 AM In reply to

Re: Is there a way to refocus a blurry shot

Hi Richard,

BCC Unsharp Mask sometimes helps with slightly blurry shots.

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer | Software (8.1) w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 8.1 Pro 64, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, May 17 2013 11:59 AM In reply to

• bmedia
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Princeton, NJ
    • Posts 79
    • Points 945

The Avid Paint effect can also sharpen. 

HP Z220 with 3.4 GHz Intel Xeon / 8 GB RAM / Windows 7 / Media Composer 7.0 with Symphony Option | 15" MacBook Pro with 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 17 2013 2:02 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 932
    • Points 11,465

ER-EM:
    For the moment I apply BCC Noise Reduction.

Noise reduction actually softens the image, so that's probably not the way to go.  Unless it makes the difference between in-focus and out-of-focus less noticeable.

• Fri, May 17 2013 2:04 PM In reply to

• ER-EM
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 5 2011
    • Paris-France
    • Posts 45
    • Points 580

Many thanks to all !!!

BCC Unsharp Mask works fine !!!

Happy editing !!!

Avid Symphony 6.0.3.3 - Dongle activation MacPro 2x2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 16Go Ram - ATI Radeon HD 5770 - 2x 4To 7200rpm in Raid 0 - Os X 10.7.5... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 17 2013 2:08 PM In reply to

In my experience, ot tends to work best if you sharpen just a part of the frame (e.g. a character's eyes). I often used Animatte to draw and track a shape of the sharpened part.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | Decklink Studio |... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 17 2013 2:38 PM In reply to

I once saw an editor use a neat trick.  We had to use a critical shot that was in soft focus.   It stuck out like a sore thumb when cut in between two shots that were in sharp focus.   So the editor placed an add-edit 45-frames before the end of the previous shot, added a slight BCC blur effect, then a 90-frame dissolve centered at the cut.   The effect was to gradually blur the footage before cutting to the blurry shot.   He did the same thing to the shot following the blurry shot, adding an add-edit 45-frames into the shot, then adding the blur and dissolve.   This technique minimized the juxtaposition of the blurry shot with the sharp footage coming before and after it.   The blurry shot was still blurry but less noticable.    A neat trick...

System 1: MC 7.0.3 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro 4000, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller