Latest post Fri, May 17 2013 9:42 AM by Dave. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, May 16 2013 5:38 PM

• Dave
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 23 2012
    • London, U.K.
    • Posts 13
    • Points 145

Using the Boris "Composite" Effect

I'm trying to duplicate a video track and then blend the two together to improve some over-exposed footage.  This works well in Sony Vegas but I'm new to Avid.  I've been trying to use the Boris "Composite" Effect (as supplied with MC 6.5) to do this.

I copied and pasted the existing track, then chose "Multiply" as the "Apply Mode",- I'm not clear on which of the remaining settings I should be using and would be very grateful for some guidance.  My lack of knowledge is doubtless responsible for the fact that the settings I apply don't seem to have much effect!

i7 920; 12Gb RAM; 2 x NVidia GT8600 cards [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 16 2013 6:18 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Not Ranked
    • London, U.K.
    • Posts 13
    • Points 145

Re: Using the Boris "Composite" Effect

Is it normal for the effects only to show when the cursor is moved and for the results on the timeline to be wildly different from those in the Boris preview?!  This is beginning to tax my patience!

• Thu, May 16 2013 9:05 PM In reply to

• drbgaijin
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Kumamoto, Japan
    • Posts 6,608
    • Points 82,870

Dave,

I moved your thread over to this forum, as Dirk from BorisFX keeps his eye on it!

Regards

Douglas

System 1:AMC 6.5.4, Edius Pro 7.31 - Windows 7 64 bit Pro SP1 - Nvidia Quadro FX3700, 331.65 driver - Quicktime 7.7.5 - 24GB memory, i7 980 3.33GHz CPU... [view my complete system specs]

Creator of Video Tutorials that mere mortals can understand

douglas@gaijin-eyes.com     Gaijin-Eyes Tutorials

• Thu, May 16 2013 10:00 PM In reply to

Dave:

I'm trying to duplicate a video track and then blend the two together to improve some over-exposed footage.  This works well in Sony Vegas but I'm new to Avid.  I've been trying to use the Boris "Composite" Effect (as supplied with MC 6.5) to do this.

A few questions ;

- Are you using AvidFX (Boris Red) or BCC AVX effects ?

- And what you are trying to achieve is to have a layer composite with itself by Multiply Apply Mode ?

Let me know and I can explain how to do it with whichever Boris plugins you are using.

—————— Dirk de Jong BorisFX

• Fri, May 17 2013 4:18 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Not Ranked
    • London, U.K.
    • Posts 13
    • Points 145

Thanks, Dirk: yes, that's what I'm trying to do. I believe this is the "red" version - it is supplied with Media Composer 6.

• Fri, May 17 2013 9:42 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Not Ranked
    • London, U.K.
    • Posts 13
    • Points 145

I've managed to create the effect I want - when I move the cursor in AvidFX I can see this - but when I click APPLY and go back to Avid I have a black segment - rendering or expert rendering don't help.  If I try to export the file as a movie instead the resulting file is unreadable, though if I produce a single still image this is correct.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller