Latest post Sat, Apr 27 2013 6:35 AM by BenMcC. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Apr 27 2013 12:30 AM

• LB2012
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Sep 29 2012
    • Posts 37
    • Points 460

Link AMA to Mixdown? Can it be done?

Hello... Hoping for some quick help!  

We have a trailer cut from a 40 minute AMA (proress 4444) file.   It plays choppy when we have more than two layers of video.

We did a mixdown of the entire clip and would like to link the trailer sequence to that mixdown so it will play smoothly.  

We have the Sequence, the AMA Master, and the Mixdown Master Clip all in the same bin... Is there a way to tell the avid to LINK to the MIXDOWN in the sequence?

Thanks!  Any help would be great.

(Also, I'm assuming we could do a transcode of the entire source and then link to that?  Would rather not, because the transcode would take an hour+--- However, if that is the only way to work with Avid mxf media, then how would we do that?)

Thanks for any help on this!

-LB2012

• Sat, Apr 27 2013 12:32 AM In reply to

• mjc
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 146
    • Points 1,745

Re: Link AMA to Mixdown? Can it be done?

I would love to know this too!

Nitris DX Symphony Option / MC 7.0.4 | Mac OS X 10.8.5, Dual 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon MacPro, 10GB RAM | Facilis Terrablock 24D [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 27 2013 12:46 AM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,597
    • Points 43,315

LB2012:
    (Also, I'm assuming we could do a transcode of the entire source and then link to that?  Would rather not, because the transcode would take an hour+

If you do a transcode of the sequence, it will only transcode the amount of the AMAed media in the selected sequence (plus whatever handle length you choose).  So if you trailer is only 4 minutes, then it only transcodes a bit more than 4 minutes of the original 40 minute file.  This should not take long at all.

Plus you will have individual clips which you can still edit with rather than one long clip.  So if your cut is only sort of done, choose long handles, transcode and keep cutting.  Make sense?

Good luck,

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.11.0 but playing w 2018.12.6|OS 10.14.x - iMac 2017 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Sat, Apr 27 2013 12:47 AM In reply to

No as the mixdown does not carry over metadata from master clips.

Why not just mixdown the sequence itself use that to output?

MC 2019.9, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Gigabyte 2080Ti Auorus, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Pro M.2 SSD, BM Mini monitor & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2012... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 27 2013 12:48 AM In reply to

• Chepal
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • germany
    • Posts 537
    • Points 6,285

duplicate your sequence and overwrite the v_tracks with your mixdown - no linking necessary and not possible.

che

mac_mc_8, fibre, sata, scsi [view my complete system specs]

peace from germany

• Sat, Apr 27 2013 1:05 AM In reply to

• LB2012
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Sep 29 2012
    • Posts 37
    • Points 460

Because we are still using the 40-min file while we edit. 

Once we transcode, is it simple to relink the AMA to the transcoded file?

• Sat, Apr 27 2013 1:36 AM In reply to

• mjc
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 146
    • Points 1,745

You're trying to link the AMA sequence (assuming with the media offline) to the newly transcoded version, right?

I haven't been able to figure out how to do that.

Everytime I try to re-link the sequence that has the AMA source in it, it never relinks to the transcoded... I've tried, "exact resolution" "any format", etc... Can't get it to work.

Let me know if you figure this out!

Nitris DX Symphony Option / MC 7.0.4 | Mac OS X 10.8.5, Dual 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon MacPro, 10GB RAM | Facilis Terrablock 24D [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 27 2013 1:45 AM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,597
    • Points 43,315

If you transcode a sequence, it asks if you want a new sequence.  Say yes and that new sequence is made of up of .new clips which are the transcodes.

If you want to transcode the original clip as a whole and have it relink to the sequence in process, you would need to at least "hide" the AMA footage so that the sequence is showing offline media before you attempt a relink.  Not sure that will fix it but it is probably a start.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.11.0 but playing w 2018.12.6|OS 10.14.x - iMac 2017 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Sat, Apr 27 2013 2:12 AM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,597
    • Points 43,315

This workflow demo MIGHT help you.  Mainly the segment in the middle but the whole thing is useful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgSF73Msxgc&list=UUIlNfOyk8j3H-Ru6kYWcNgQ&index=4

Jef

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Sat, Apr 27 2013 6:35 AM In reply to

• BenMcC
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Aug 21 2011
    • Posts 3
    • Points 35

I think you've got your terminology wrong or maybe I've read it wrong but here I go:

if your timeline is playing funny it might not be the video, AMA has many problems trying  to cache the audio as well.

2 sosolutions do a video and audio MIXDOWN of your sequence cut these back into your original sequence, check sync, and then sub clip these tracks out onto a new timeline and play from there.

other option is to transcode the media, in/out whole sequence, choose transcode, choose a native avid codec and make sure to click on all of the audio checkboxes (usually 48 kHz , 16bit, PCM McC) for broadcast. Tick create a new sequence, zero handles (unless you wan to edit). This will create a new transcoded sequence.

you can link to and from AMA clips and transcoded media with this method.

hope that helps

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller