Latest post Mon, Jul 8 2013 12:47 AM by Alireza Vasefi. 165 replies.
Page 5 of 12 (166 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 10 2013 4:14 PM In reply to

Re: ** Media Composer v7.0 ANNOUNCED **

I purchased as a download on March 23...don't know if I can return and repurchase but I will check...looks like the best I could hope for is a $299 upgrade.

Rinze Schuurman:

digitaldenial:

I just purchased Media Composer 6.5 in late March, will I be eligible for the free upgrade or will I have to return my version and re-purchase to receive the complimentary upgrade to 7.0?

You may want to check out the fine print of the buying agreement. Surely avid has a return policy within a certain amount of days and you still might be covered by that. Returning your box and buying a new version. But that is maybe

(SYSTEM 1)MC 8.10.0 Mac OS X 10.13.2 iMac 27inch Late 2012 3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz , 32GB RAM, 1TB Fusion Drive, NVIDIA... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 10 2013 4:17 PM In reply to

Unfortunately...I could not wait....I had been waiting for months to purchase a new Mac workstation, hoping there would be a new Mac Pro...but I could put it off no longer and had to get an iMac with v6.5.2 to keep working.

Larry Rubin:

Kevin Klimek:
    For future reference: if NAB is in sight and you don't absolutely need new software....WAIT!

This is the best advice you'll ever get when it comes to the timing of a purchasing decision. NEVER purchase ANYTHING within 2 months prior to NAB, as major announcements and pricing policies are always made. And always remember that for any special offer, there MUST be a cut-off date established that defines customer eligibility.

(SYSTEM 1)MC 8.10.0 Mac OS X 10.13.2 iMac 27inch Late 2012 3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz , 32GB RAM, 1TB Fusion Drive, NVIDIA... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 10 2013 5:59 PM In reply to

• jray
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 1 2011
    • Posts 59
    • Points 720

digitaldenial:

I purchased as a download on March 23...don't know if I can return and repurchase but I will check...looks like the best I could hope for is a $299 upgrade.

I just returned mine. I was told there is a 30 day return policy. I deactivated and forwarded my info yesterday and got confirmation of my return today. If you return and repurchase you'll save $200 and get a free upgrade to 7, so no reason not to.

Avid MC 10.2018 with Symphony, Mac Pro 2009, OS 10.12 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 10 2013 11:00 PM In reply to

• Rick Rose
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jul 30 2011
    • Toronto, ON, Canada
    • Posts 61
    • Points 755

Any word on a list of qualified computers and OS's?  I can't find anything yet.

OSX 10.10.5 Yosemite, Avid 8.8.5, Quicktime 7.6.6 Mac Pro 3,1 12 Gig Ram, ATI 5770, E4P eSata card [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 10 2013 11:05 PM In reply to

Such a list normally appears at the time of release. Until that time, testing would still be going on.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 11 2013 10:49 AM In reply to

Avid qualifies computers and OS's on a semi-regular basis.  They have qualified a number of machines for software only or limited hardware.  The lastest high end workstations are the HP z420/820's.  HP gives Avid a machine about 6 months prior to HP launching it, for testing.  Avid will attempt to qualify it and make some reccomendations back to HP.  HP releases the machine to the general public and it is certified by Avid. 

Avid has to buy a Macintosh platform when released to the General Public and attempt to qualify it.  Same with the Apple OS.  Avid had difficulty in qualifying 10.8 for use with ISIS.  It worked initially with MC, but just was not initially compatible to use with ISIS.  I am not sure if it even is qualifed yet.  The problem is that the Avid engineering could not get it to mount network shares.  It is not Avid's doing, but rather with the OS.  There was a beta release of the ISIS client manager for 10.8 last fall, but have not heard much since.  As a workaround, people had to downgrade to 10.7.3.

As for OS's, WIN 8 has not been that big of a hit.  I would speculate that they will attempt to qualify it, but since the learning curve for WIN 8 is so steep, that I would not expect many people to buy into it.  The list of PC's out now may not change much.  Some older machines may not be qualified.  I would speculate that the lowest/oldest machine they will attempt to qualify it on would be the HP xw8600.  Again, just my pure speculation.  The list of Macintosh platforms may not change much either. 

But be careful, if this lateset version of MC is using some GPU rendering, the $50 video card in a low level machine, may not handle it.  You would probably get some functionality out of MC 7, but the full benefit of it would be limited.  In other words, don't expect a 4 cylinder production sedan to perform like a top fuel dragster. 

If you have an 8200 or 8400 and expect Avid to qualify it, the chances are slim.  Those machines were new 5-6 years ago.  I do realize that they were good machines, for the time.  Technology has made them obsolete. 

Darryl Jones

ACSR Elite

Filed under: , , , , ,
  • Thu, Apr 11 2013 10:57 AM In reply to

Darryl Jones:
    If you have an 8200 or 8400 and expect Avid to qualify it, the chances are slim.
    I don't even think either of those was part of qualification tests for 6.5. The 8400 still pulls it off for basic work, though. And do note that the majority of Macs out there are slower machines, as Apple never really updated them.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 11 2013 11:28 AM In reply to

Job ter Burg:

I don't even think either of those was part of qualification tests for 6.5. The 8400 still pulls it off for basic work, though. And do note that the majority of Macs out there are slower machines, as Apple never really updated them.

Correct, Avid did not qualify them.  The last of that line is the 8600 they qual'd.  I try not to come down to hard on the Mac's as there are Mac militants out there that will launch an attack if you come down to hard on their underperforming machines.  Facts don't lie, but they are good for what they do. 

Darryl Jones

ACSR Elite

• Thu, Apr 11 2013 9:39 PM In reply to

• Dan
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 28 2011
    • Posts 238
    • Points 3,055

Some help please...

We have 3 edit suites.  1 has Symphony 6 running on a Mac with 10.8.x and the other 2 have Media Composer 5.5 running on Macs with 10.6.x.  What's the most cost effective way to get these up to 7?  If there was a significant price difference, I'd be willing to ditch Symphony all together and put MC in all 3 rooms.

Thoughts?

• Thu, Apr 11 2013 9:49 PM In reply to

That's pretty straightforward:

Upgrade your v6.0 system to 6.5 now, for 299 USD. This will entitle you to a free upgrade to v7 when it is released, PROVIDED you REGISTER the 6.5 product and REDEEM the v7 activation code BEFORE June 30, 2013. You need not even install the 6.5 upgrade (but you can, and it could be beneficial), you just need to buy and register them for this to work.

If you wait, you would need to upgrade from 6.0 and 5.5 to v7, and that would 100 USD more per system. So upgrading now is more cost effective.

For your pre-6.0 systems, it doesn't matter if you upgrade them now (399) or when v7 is released (also 399).

Since there is no more Symphony, all systems would become Media Composer, but your Symphony will become a "Media Composer - with Symphony Option". It seems that it is going to be possible to move that Symph option around between your systems, but I'm not sure yet how that will work.

EDITED: Note Kevin's post, as the upgrades from v5.5 to v6.5 and v6.0 to v6.5 are NOT the same price.

• Thu, Apr 11 2013 9:53 PM In reply to

Dan:
    We have 3 edit suites.  1 has Symphony 6 running on a Mac with 10.8.x and the other 2 have Media Composer 5.5 running on Macs with 10.6.x.  What's the most cost effective way to get these up to 7?  If there was a significant price difference, I'd be willing to ditch Symphony all together and put MC in all 3 rooms.

My suggestion would be to purchase the upgrade from Symphony 6 to Symphony 6.5 now or before the v7 release (US $299), and you will get MC v7.0 w/Symphony Option for free.  You'll save $100 by not waiting.

There's no advantage to buying the other upgrades now...since your MC v5.5 versions are already two versions back.  Whether you upgrade them to MC v6.5 now and get MC v7.0 free, or wait until MC v7.0 comes out, the price will be the same (US $399). 

The Symphony Option can be moved, so eventually any one of your v7.0 licenses could use the Symphony options.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Thu, Apr 11 2013 10:04 PM In reply to

• HS
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 13 2010
    • Toronto, Canada
    • Posts 103
    • Points 1,425

How does one upgrade their Symphony 6.5 to symphony 7? 

MC Nitris DX 24 gig RAM Symphony 6.5.2 Mac 10.8.2 Intel Xeon 16 TB videoRAID SR [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 11 2013 10:09 PM In reply to

*edited*

HS:

How does one upgrade their Symphony 6.5 to symphony 7? 

You can't because there is no more Symphony 7. There is Media Composer, and there's the added Symphony option. So your current Symphony would have to be upgraded to "Media Composer 7 + Symphony Option". Since you already own the options, you're only paying for the upgrade, 299 USD.

If you're on 6.0.x, it is cheaper to upgrade to 6.5 today (299), so you'll get MC7 for free when it is released.

If you're on 5.5 or earlier, you can either upgrade now or wait until v7 is released, it'll be 399 either way.

If you're already on 6.5, you should wait until v7 is available, and then you can upgrade for 299.

• Fri, Apr 12 2013 6:29 AM In reply to

Corrected / clarified my last two posts... (Thanks Kevin!)

• Fri, Apr 12 2013 2:50 PM In reply to

• mxdan316
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 11 2010
    • Posts 72
    • Points 870

Happy to see we will finally be able to consolidate & transcode in the background, and continue editing during the process. How great is this?

Next step: Render in background!

Page 5 of 12 (166 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller