Latest post Mon, Jul 8 2013 12:47 AM by Alireza Vasefi. 165 replies.
Page 4 of 12 (166 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 9 2013 2:11 PM In reply to

Re: ** Media Composer v7.0 ANNOUNCED **

mkj:
    will the cost for Avid Support Contract for MC also be cutted in price?

There hasn't been any announced change in price for Avid support.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Tue, Apr 9 2013 2:19 PM In reply to

Customers who will be eligible for the free upgrade from 6.5 to 7 MUST have purchased the 6.5 upgrade between these dates:

April 7, 2013 to June 30, 2013. The software MUST BE REGISTERED BEFORE JUNE 30, 2013, but the software does not need to be installed first to register it.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Apr 9 2013 2:21 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:

digitaldenial:
    I just purchased Media Composer 6.5 in late March, will I be eligible for the free upgrade
    No, sorry.

That figures....I guess they needed the money to fix the open I/O issues.....oh wait...er...sorry....never mind.

(SYSTEM 1)MC 8.10.0 Mac OS X 10.13.2 iMac 27inch Late 2012 3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz , 32GB RAM, 1TB Fusion Drive, NVIDIA... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 9 2013 2:28 PM In reply to

digitaldenial:
    That figures....I guess they needed the money to fix the open I/O issues.....oh wait...er...sorry....never mind.

We go through this with every upgrade folks.  If they said you could get the free upgrade if you bought the software in the last 30 days, someone who bought it 31 days ago would complain.  They have to draw a line somewhere.

For future reference: if NAB is in sight and you don't absolutely need new software....WAIT!

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Tue, Apr 9 2013 2:34 PM In reply to

mjolnarn:

carlgmi:
    I've followed your help with keen interest in other posts - I admire your dedication and am gald it works for you.

Thanks Carl

carlgmi:

Yup.  Works perfectly in MC5.5.2 and didn't work at all smoothly in 6. 

With the 64 bits Avid there is no software only any longer, the video card needs to be on the origin certified gpu list for cards that allows distributed processing

carlgmi:

Plenty with correct card also experiencing problems. 

I counted those users in a thread a while ago and plenty isn´t the word that comes up in my mind.

Plenty of posts from those users however, also in multiple boards.

There seems to be less problems on this PC side.

What I call " the woodpecker syndrom " seems not to work as it did on the 32 bits side however.

Maybe keeps the keyboards last longer for those users  Smile

Im sorry but im on two qualified systems at home and when i yank out my blackmagic cards, the system is way way faster and trim/slip/slide and CC work as advertised. 

At work we jsut upgraded to 6 finaly on qualified systems with Nitris DX boxes and they too, are notciably slower than the same setup on 5.5  

on an unqualified mac pro 2.1 with the stock 512 mb graphics card, software only mode works great too, so what gives then ? 

Avid themselves admit theres a problem, why are you in denial?  the only question is why arent they fixing it, as its a fundemental part of the editing process. One of the simplest. 

iMAC (late 2015) 4GHZ i7 - 32GB RAM - AMD R9 M395X 4GB 512 SSD BOOT BM Ultra Studio Express w/Driver 10.5.4. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 9 2013 2:51 PM In reply to

• Rinze Schuurman
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    • Posts 436
    • Points 5,505

digitaldenial:

I just purchased Media Composer 6.5 in late March, will I be eligible for the free upgrade or will I have to return my version and re-purchase to receive the complimentary upgrade to 7.0?

You may want to check out the fine print of the buying agreement. Surely avid has a return policy within a certain amount of days and you still might be covered by that. Returning your box and buying a new version. But that is maybe

4 avid systems on x58 and x79 platforms with 18 TB internal mediadrive in raid 5 each and 300 GB ssd OS drive, Nvidia GTX 580 to Nvidia GTX Titan video... [view my complete system specs]

"Software bugs are impossible to detect by anybody except the end user"

• Tue, Apr 9 2013 2:53 PM In reply to

Kevin Klimek:
    For future reference: if NAB is in sight and you don't absolutely need new software....WAIT!

This is the best advice you'll ever get when it comes to the timing of a purchasing decision. NEVER purchase ANYTHING within 2 months prior to NAB, as major announcements and pricing policies are always made. And always remember that for any special offer, there MUST be a cut-off date established that defines customer eligibility.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Apr 9 2013 3:58 PM In reply to

Robert Goodman :

With the 64 bits Avid there is no software only any longer, the video card needs to be on the origin certified gpu list for cards that allows distributed processing

At work we jsut upgraded to 6 finaly on qualified systems with Nitris DX boxes and they too, are notciably slower than the same setup on 5.5  

What are your work system specs Robert.  i.e.  PC or Mac, ISIS 5K or 7K, Interplay . . .

I need to know these things as the low man on the totem pole, I can give management pros and cons so they can make the decision to go forward.

Thanks!

Darryl Jones

ACSR Elite

Filed under: ,
  • Tue, Apr 9 2013 4:15 PM In reply to

Darryl Jones:

Robert Goodman :

What are your work system specs Robert.  i.e.  PC or Mac, ISIS 5K or 7K, Interplay . . .

I need to know these things as the low man on the totem pole, I can give management pros and cons so they can make the decision to go forward.

Thanks!

these are PC's HP800's ISIS 5k not sure all the exact specs. 

iMAC (late 2015) 4GHZ i7 - 32GB RAM - AMD R9 M395X 4GB 512 SSD BOOT BM Ultra Studio Express w/Driver 10.5.4. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 9 2013 4:23 PM In reply to

Robert:

Just so you know, Darryl is our in house ACSR (Avid Certified Service Rep) here at the Pentagon Channel. I'm very concerned about reports regarding sluggishness in CC and Trim mode with Nitris and Mojo DX hardware as well as 3rd party I/Os, so any light you can shed on what you have observed on your systems will be greatly appreciated here. We are considering upgrading beyond version 5, but I'm afraid that if this is a serious issue with Avid hardware as well, we would be shooting ourselves in the foot - we simply cannot afford to have momentum and workflow slowdowns in a daily "race the clock" environment due to that kind of sluggishness.

Thanks very much in advance.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Apr 9 2013 4:23 PM In reply to

Ok thanks.  That gives me some great insight. 

What type of environment?  News?  Post production?  Approx number of editors?

Darryl Jones

ACSR Elite

• Tue, Apr 9 2013 4:50 PM In reply to

Darryl Jones:

Ok thanks.  That gives me some great insight. 

What type of environment?  News?  Post production?  Approx number of editors?

Broadcast TV - mostly reality and news. there are about 80 bays here. While work is still getting out and done, the few people ive had the chance to talk to about notice a difference between 5 and 6 as do I on the nitris Dx although its not nearly as bad as the performance i get with the Blackmagic cards. 

• Tue, Apr 9 2013 4:50 PM In reply to

• HS
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 13 2010
    • Toronto, Canada
    • Posts 103
    • Points 1,425

Larry,

I was running all my 8 Avid systems on 5.5 until very recently (All with mojoDX or NitrisDX). Although my 5.5 systems still had their 'quirks'... they all ran smooth and fast (other than the occasional 'out of memory' issues). We upgraded all our systems to Mountain lion and 6.5.2 and put 24 gigs of ram into all our macs.  It is the slowest responding software I have every used in my life with Avid.

If I could show you a QT of me lassoing my timeline, you would watch in agony as it slowy aquired the clips...then zoom in a bit and wait again as it selects them again.  If I use my frame advance keys fast...the picture does not move at all until I stop...then it jumps the 8 frames. Not in real time like in 5.5.

Dont get me started on screen redraw, or audio scrubbing. If you have waveforms on... well... good luck.

We find overall that 6.5.2 is a pretty solid release... simply SLOW. 

We have brand new CPUs and year old CPUs all with various cards in them, all experiencing the same thing. 

If I could go back I would.  

HS

MC Nitris DX 24 gig RAM Symphony 6.5.2 Mac 10.8.2 Intel Xeon 16 TB videoRAID SR [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 9 2013 5:15 PM In reply to

HS:

Thanks very much for your input!  Anyone else?

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Apr 10 2013 4:00 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Robert Goodman :

mjolnarn:

carlgmi:
    I've followed your help with keen interest in other posts - I admire your dedication and am gald it works for you.

Thanks Carl

carlgmi:

Yup.  Works perfectly in MC5.5.2 and didn't work at all smoothly in 6. 

carlgmi:

Plenty with correct card also experiencing problems. 

I counted those users in a thread a while ago and plenty isn´t the word that comes up in my mind.

Plenty of posts from those users however, also in multiple boards.

There seems to be less problems on this PC side.

What I call " the woodpecker syndrom " seems not to work as it did on the 32 bits side however.

Maybe keeps the keyboards last longer for those users  Smile

Im sorry but im on two qualified systems at home and when i yank out my blackmagic cards, the system is way way faster and trim/slip/slide and CC work as advertised. 

on an unqualified mac pro 2.1 with the stock 512 mb graphics card, software only mode works great too, so what gives then ? 

Avid themselves admit theres a problem, why are you in denial?  the only question is why arent they fixing it, as its a fundemental part of the editing process. One of the simplest. 

Robert, as you can see I just highlighted what I said about PC systems, there seems to be bigger problems here on the Mac side and the user I was answering was using a PC with an uncertified videocard, that just won´t work with either thirdparty hardware on the 64 bits side or Avids own.

About BM cards I think you are right from reading lots of posts, they seem to have most problems, Carl, that I was answering is using a Matrox box and have a PC.

But regarding lags, especially when doing certain operations, no denial at all, and the Avid techs certainly doesn´t like my stop watch when we are discussing this.

On the PC side I have however managed to change my workflows to be able to handle those lags in a way that makes it workable for me, doing lots of CC I really have no other alternative.

The Mac side, however, is another piece of the cake, as already said.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

Page 4 of 12 (166 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller