Latest post Sat, Apr 14 2018 6:41 AM by Job ter Burg. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 2 2013 9:32 PM

• dingo1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Grinnell
    • Posts 315
    • Points 3,775

the old export h264 from avid and levels problems

editing AMA projects, exporting H264....OK I know quicktime lies about levels so I can watch it in VLC or streamclip...but damnit the h264 from avid has different levels than any other export (say a nice dnx export)  any formula for getting a decent ama to h264 export.....I can export a dnx then encode elsewhere....but where's the fun in that.  Cheers and thanks to any and all.

Gregg

MC 7 on 2009 MacBook pro Symphony v8.6 on iMac i7 24gig ram tons of firewire single drives [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 2 2013 9:41 PM In reply to

Re: the old export h264 from avid and levels problems

dingo1:
    ...but damnit the h264 from avid has different levels than any other export

Gregg,

The notorious Quicktime gamma shift has caused me to pull my hair out for years.    I prefer to deliver a file in almost any other format.   Unfortunately, many broadcasters require H.264 Quicktimes as the file format for uploading commercials.   It almost makes me want to go back to the days of tape.

dingo1:
     any formula for getting a decent ama to h264 export.....I can export a dnx then encode elsewhere....but where's the fun in that.

It's not AMA...it's QT and H.264.   I've digitized footage, imported footage, used AMA, transcoded to DNxHD...   The weak link is exporting as a Quicktime.  

If you must export as a H.264 Quicktime, you'll get better quality if you do a video mixdown and then export a QT reference movie and use Sorenson Squeeze to create the H.264 QT.   Make sure you choose the MainConcept H.264 codec, which does not have as many level  problems as the generic (Apple) H.264 codec.  Export directly from Avid only gives you the option to use the Apple codec.

I hope this helps.

MC 2018.4 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system drive... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Wed, Apr 3 2013 3:51 AM In reply to

• dingo1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Grinnell
    • Posts 315
    • Points 3,775

Thanks Terry....it is as I feared, but thanks for the confirmation.   I just so wanted a one step process. My big problem is I can't export a ref file (which would be ideal) cause I am editing AMA footage, so i have to export a self contained dnx file, which can take awhile....oh well....charge it to the client.......

Cheers

gregg G

MC 7 on 2009 MacBook pro Symphony v8.6 on iMac i7 24gig ram tons of firewire single drives [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 3 2013 4:27 AM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,191
    • Points 38,755

I did a test today becuase of a similar problem.  It was faster to do a video mixdown and then do a QT Reference for my encoding software than to export a self contained dnx file to had off to the encoding software.  And by a large margin.

Maybe you should test that?

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC 8.5.3 / 8.9.4 | OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown" QT 10.0... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Wed, Apr 3 2013 2:52 PM In reply to

jef:
    It was faster to do a video mixdown and then do a QT Reference for my encoding software than to export a self contained dnx file to had off to the encoding software.  And by a large margin.

Plus, encoding software like Sorenson will transcode your file into H.264 faster than Avid's export.   It's not a big deal with 30-second commercials, but its a significant time savings with projects of a half-hour or longer.

MC 2018.4 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system drive... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Sun, Apr 7 2013 9:06 PM In reply to

• dingo1
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Grinnell
    • Posts 315
    • Points 3,775

Thanks Jef and Terry....indeed the video mixdown then export ref works well.....I just wish Avid would get their system to export properly.....and let you export ref files to AMA linked seq....I guess a ref of a ref of a ref is too much.....ref?

Cheers

Gregg "gamma shift" Grinnell

• Fri, Apr 13 2018 10:15 PM In reply to

• gstrudler
    • Not Ranked
    • Portland, OR
    • Posts 18
    • Points 220

Resurrecting this from the dead in case anyone else needs the info, but I happened to be trolling through all the console commands trying to solve a different problem and ran across this gem:

ChangeGammaOnExport -- This will apply a Gamma change when exporting to H.264, Photo JPEG and MPEG-4 codecs in QuickTime

For whatever reason this is off by default. I turned it on and now my h.264 encodes look normal! Why this is buried in console commands and not in the export options, and why it is not on by default is beyond me, but it is there.

MacOS 10.13.4, Media Composer 2018 w/ Symphony option, dual 3.46GHz 6-core 5.1 Mac Pro, 24GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 1080, Nitris DX, SSD system drive, 2-drive... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 14 2018 6:41 AM In reply to

Never knew about that one, thanks for sharing! Still, those type of QT exports I try to avoid, as they are done by old and slow and deprecated Quicktime.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller