Latest post Sat, Apr 6 2013 2:27 AM by Jason Lyons (aka. avidzombie). 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Mar 31 2013 2:16 PM

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 812
    • Points 10,755

Using 2 RTAS compressors as gain and limiter...How do you do this?

Hi, everyone.

I have a documentary with terrible sound.  The recordists didn't know what they were doing at all.  In Avid, it's proving to be very difficult to fix the audio sufficiently to show the producers.  I could fix it in another NLE very easily, but I'd really like to know how to get it properly sorted in Avid.  

The sound was recorded so low, that I have to put a gain of about 30 db on it for it to be at an acceptable level.  The only real way to do this appears to be with the RTAS plugins, and because RTAS has no straight ahead gain, I use an RTAS compressor set at 1:1 compression (I may compress slightly and set it to 1.5 or 2:1).  However, this of course creates peaking all over the place.  So, I put another compressor on insert B, set the compression to 100:1 to do hard limiting.  But, rather than act as a hard limiter, it still goes into the red on occasion (even though I have my threshold set to -4db)  And most importantly, the 2nd compressor (limiter) makes the original audio distorted on many clips, instead of doing what it's supposed to - acting as a simple hard limiter.  I've tried adjusting attack times, but it doesn't seem to help much.  Does anyone know what's going on or what the workflow is to boost super quiet audio and make sure it doesn't peak?

As an alternative, I tried forgoing the RTAS plugins and using AudioSuite gain on all audio in order to boost the sound, but that has disastrous consequences after rendering.  It created weird garbling effects on many clips and threw the audio out of sync several times?

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Mar 31 2013 3:06 PM In reply to

Re: Using 2 RTAS compressors as gain and limiter...How do you do this?

First, I would not use the first one as a gain only. Apply a 2.5:1 compression on the source while raising the level. Otherwise you are likely feeding too wide of a dynamic range into the limiter which won't cope with that too well - as you heard.

But rather than using the second compressor, or using the Limiter (neither of which will do brickwall limiting and are pretty ancient audiosuite plugins to begin with), I'd look at getting the very affordable Massey L2007 look-ahead brickwall limiter plugin: http://masseyplugins.com/#plugins/l2007.

Works very well for me. I often use a milde 2:1 compresor on interviews, with a brickwall limiter after that - just for screenings and DVD-R playouts without any annoying peaks. Sound post will then take all of that off and do it properly.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Mar 31 2013 5:59 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 812
    • Points 10,755

Thanks, Job.  While the plugin is a bit pricey for me, I did go to try it.  Apparently, it's only for stereo tracks.  My dialogue tracks are mono.    I guess I would have to convert them to stereo before being able to use the plugin? 

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Mar 31 2013 8:24 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,427
    • Points 41,320

If you look at the RTAS tools for mono tracks in the Other folder, there is a tool lableled Trim. When set accordingly, it can give you +12 db of gain.  This tool might be of use.

Good luck,

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Sun, Mar 31 2013 8:59 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 812
    • Points 10,755

Thanks, Jef.  Unfortunately, the audio was recorded so low that it needs a +30 db boost to sound decent.  

• Sun, Mar 31 2013 9:29 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,427
    • Points 41,320

You can use multiple instances.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.10.0 but playing w 2018.11| OS 10.11.x - various MacPro Towers - home system MacPro... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Sun, Mar 31 2013 9:38 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 812
    • Points 10,755

Aha!  That's cool!

• Mon, Apr 1 2013 5:41 AM In reply to

L2007 works both in mono and stereo. At $89 it costs less then taking your better half to dinner.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Apr 6 2013 2:27 AM In reply to

Thanks Job! Awesome... it just works.

MacPro AVID MC 6.5.2 / Mac OS 10.7.5 / 2x 3GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon / 20GB RAM / Dual Monitor 1-30" 1-24" / One big ass hamster on a tread mill... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller