Latest post Tue, Mar 25 2014 9:39 PM by Bloersch. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Mar 5 2013 1:40 AM

• cable
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, May 27 2007
    • Posts 255
    • Points 3,345

MXF PCM audio vs. WAV OMF audio

Does anyone know of a good reason to PCM MXF audio?  My instinct is to WAV audio. I know they will each end up in a different folder but aside from that I'm not sure if one is better than the other. I know the quality is the same. WAV files I can play with other apps for troubleshooting if needed.

Just thought I'd ask if anyone uses MFX PCM audio and why?

Thanks for any insights.

-Cablet

14 x Media Composer 6.5.2 (OSX, 10.8.4, 8+ GB RAM) 48TB Terrablock (fiber, ethernet, and 10Ge clients) [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 5 2013 4:48 AM In reply to

Re: MXF PCM audio vs. WAV OMF audio

cable:
    Just thought I'd ask if anyone uses MFX PCM audio and why?
    I use Project based media management via the MXF folder so having .wav's go to an OMFI MediaFiles folders unnecessarily complicates my life.

My encoding programs and DAW's are all happy with PCM MXF. On the rare occasion I need a .wav I select that option in my Avid export.

Please make Enter Slip and Enter Slide mode selection available for mapping (to buttons or KB) via the Command Palette.

• Tue, Mar 5 2013 8:07 AM In reply to

• Bloersch
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 3 2005
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 721
    • Points 8,515

For short projects I usually work with Mxf and at the end I export an Aaf with Consolidated Media for Pro Tools.

But for a feature film it could be useful to create Omf media for audio, so you have video/audio separated.

When you need to export to Pro Tools for Sound Postproduction, you can simply copy the whole omf folder (because they need all audio media) and create linked Aaf's. If you continue editing you can send only the new audio files and linked aaf to Pro Tools.

Or is there a good way to separate video/audio if you only work with mxf files?

MC 7.0.3, OSX 10.8.5 Quicktime 7.6.6 , Retina MacBook Pro 2.7GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, Aja T-Tap, Matrox MXO2 Mini, [view my complete system specs]

www.film-editing.de

• Tue, Mar 5 2013 8:50 AM In reply to

The upside of using MXF is that it auto-limits the amount of files in a media folder. OMF does not, so on larger projects, your folders might become bloated when you use OMf.

PT users have told me that PT works faster using WAV compared to PCM-MXF.

As for separating picture and sound, I use different partitions, and set them accordingly in the Media Creation tool. Still needs attention when renderimg, but it works for me.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | Decklink Studio |... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Mar 5 2014 3:47 PM In reply to

• Bloersch
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 721
    • Points 8,515

Hi Job, how big would be the partition for audio files only? 

And is there a tool that could copy only the Mxf audiofiles if they wouldn't be on a separate partition?

MC 7.0.3, OSX 10.8.5 Quicktime 7.6.6 , Retina MacBook Pro 2.7GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, Aja T-Tap, Matrox MXO2 Mini, [view my complete system specs]

www.film-editing.de

• Wed, Mar 5 2014 5:44 PM In reply to

The partition size depends a lot on the project, of course. With DNxHD36 footage and 4 to 6 tracks of sound, I think it's typically 80/20.

Bloersch:
    is there a tool that could copy only the Mxf audiofiles if they wouldn't be on a separate partition
    Unfortunately not that I am aware of.

I have occasionally separated picture and sound by duplicating the entire mediafiles folder, renaming on of the copies, deleting video (via Media Tool), rename that folder, mount the first copy, delete all audio.

MC could _really_ use some improvements in this area.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | Decklink Studio |... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 6 2014 1:11 PM In reply to

• Bloersch
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 721
    • Points 8,515

Thank you!
    Do you think it's ok to mix 16bit and 24bit in a feature film projects or should I convert all during import?

I know you are working in 5.1 and probaby very picky with soundwork, do you work with the the mixdowns of the production sound from set or all individual audio tracks?

www.film-editing.de

• Thu, Mar 6 2014 1:45 PM In reply to

Bloersch:
    Do you think it's ok to mix 16bit and 24bit
    It's possible, but I tend to work at 24bit all the way.

Bloersch:
    do you work with the the mixdowns of the production sound

Depends on the workflow. If the equipment used allows for it, I will have all tracks imported, with just the mixdowns synced up, leaving me the option to access the ISO tracks when needed. Pro Tools editors get all Avid media plus all original BWAV's and can easily relink to the original WAVs from any tracks I may have used.

See http://www.jobterburg.nl/Publications/Multitrack_Approach_110830.pdf for how that works.

• Thu, Mar 6 2014 6:35 PM In reply to

• cable
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, May 27 2007
    • Posts 255
    • Points 3,345

Thanks for all the feedback. We are mixing our third feature now with Skywalker and have determined that going forward we will be only using MXF as it's easier for us at our studio and the folks at Skywalker indicated they really don't care at all if the files are wav or mxf.

Thanks.

-Cable

14 x Media Composer 6.5.2 (OSX, 10.8.4, 8+ GB RAM) 48TB Terrablock (fiber, ethernet, and 10Ge clients) [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 25 2014 9:39 PM In reply to

• Bloersch
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Posts 721
    • Points 8,515

Job ter Burg:
    I have occasionally separated picture and sound by duplicating the entire mediafiles folder, renaming on of the copies, deleting video (via Media Tool), rename that folder, mount the first copy, delete all audio.

It's a really good workaround.

www.film-editing.de

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller