Latest post Mon, Mar 4 2013 6:32 PM by Randall L. Rike. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Mar 4 2013 6:19 PM

• Josh Short
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, May 13 2011
    • Washington, DC / Northern Virginia
    • Posts 46
    • Points 590

Running Avid in Windows on Mac

Long story short I have my dongle for my Windows HP Z400 workstation at work and I just purchased a new iMac for myself. I'd like to use my work dongle at home. How do I get the Avid Media Composer software onto my iMac and do I need to run it in a Windows environment for the dongle to work?

What I'm trying to get at is, is the dongle license Windows or Mac based? Or can it be used cross-operating system?

Also, if I do have to run Windows on my iMac what software would you recommend? Any SOPs out there on how to do this?

One more thing, what software do you recommend to view NTFS formatted drives on a Mac? I believe I'm going to have to be able to do this in order to transfer my media between work and home easily. Would ExFAT formatting work as well?

MC 8.4.2, MacBook Pro with Retina, Thunderbolt display attached, Os X 10.10.1, 8 GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 4000, QT 10.2, Media Storage - USB3.0 drives [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 4 2013 6:27 PM In reply to

Re: Running Avid in Windows on Mac

Dongles are cross platform.

Just install thr trial version on your Mac. Then plug the dongle in and chose to use that when you launch media composer.

Drives are an issue and ExFAT is one solution but it isn't as a robust file format (no reducndent FAT) and soem report issues with consolidating to ExFAT drives.

You can get conversion programs for both Mac and PC but I'd suggest they only be used to copy media not edit via. Flakey results otherwise.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Mon, Mar 4 2013 6:28 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Hi, the dongle is platform agnostic. Just download the Avid software for which the dongle is blessed and launch the application.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Mon, Mar 4 2013 6:32 PM In reply to

The dongle is platform-agnostic.  It works on either/both (yay dongles).  Download the correct version for your iMac, plug in the dongle and you're good-to-go.

Vieweing and "reading" an NTFS disk on the Mac is built in to OSX.  To "write to the NTFS disk from the Mac will require Paragon/NTFS.  It is not fast enough for editing, so it should be used to xfer files between systems, where the media drives on each system are formatted natively for that system.  ExFat has other issues that complicate matters.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller