Latest post Tue, Mar 5 2013 6:50 PM by mattsantamaria. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Mar 4 2013 8:31 AM

Avid Interplay Issues

Hey there, I work at a local TV station.  We use Avid (I'm not sure which model - though I do know it's a few years dated), and have never had many issues with it, but over the last few months the Interplay system has become very, very slow.  If I am in Interplay trying to drag files to my project, I will regularly get a :30-:45 second lag on the time I drag the file and the time it actually gets into my project bin.  Like I said, this has not always done this, and I have absolutely no clue what is causing it.  You would think the issue has something to do with memory or storage space (atleast I would), but I don't think it is.  We have gotten the storage space as high as 90% and as low as 40% and the annoying lag is present regardless.

Killing work productivity, please help!!

Thanks!

• Mon, Mar 4 2013 12:44 PM In reply to

Re: Avid Interplay Issues

Moving this thread to the Interplay Forum, where our gurus can get a look at it. In the meantime, have you tried restarting transfer manager?

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Mar 4 2013 7:56 PM In reply to

Sorry, I am very elementry on my avid knowledge.  I have not tried doing that.  How would I go about doing that?

• Mon, Mar 4 2013 8:16 PM In reply to

By the way, the Avid we have at the station is Avid Newscutter 9 v9.0.3

• Mon, Mar 4 2013 10:28 PM In reply to

My Interplay system administrator will be back tomorrow. I'll ask him to jump in here and give you some guidance.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Mar 5 2013 4:28 PM In reply to

Can you expound upon where your projects bin is?  What type of shared storage are you using? (i.e. ISIS) Have you asked your engineering staff about this issue?  The challenge is that you give a limited amount of info about a complex issue.  I shall try to give you some guidance. 

Interplay has limits, though typically a lettered station will not exceed them.  But with NC 9.0, your Interplay is likely of an older version with older hardware.  As well, if housecleaning ahs not been done, it will result in slowdown.  Try cleaning out the attic.   Follow these steps as well:

1.  (On a PC) Start, programs, Avid Service Framework, Avid Health monitor,

2.  A window will pop up and show all Avid machines on the Interplay

3.  Navigate to your Media Indexer, such as station id - MI (i.e.  Avid-MI)

4.  Click on it and select Media Indexer in the tree

5.  On the right side window, select the Media table statistics. 

6.  Post the following numbers:

1.  Number of unique media files indexed by HAG

2.  Number of workspace folders indexed

3.  Number of MI services connected

4.  Pending files copy, capture, ingest.

5.  Free memory

7.  Please post version of Interplay

8.  Have engineer staff attend ACSR training. 

Darryl Jones

ACSR Elite

Filed under: ,
  • Tue, Mar 5 2013 4:59 PM In reply to

Darryl Jones:

8.  Have engineer staff attend ACSR training. 

Should be #1. 

Also, check to make sure you don't have more than 5000 items in each folder on Interplay.  that can REALLY slow things down.  One place i worked saved all of their shotlists at the root of Projects because the operators were too lazy to read the custom built SOP and place the shotlists into the correct folder.  this resulted in having 4 YEARS worth of shotlists clog up the projects folder, and caused the system to take 2 minutes just to expand the Projects folder.  after some major housekeeping, the Interplay Database returned to normal operation.

Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option Win7x64 Pro HP zBook 15" Laptop - 16GB RAM (2nd System) Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option - HP z420... [view my complete system specs]

The FunkyDragon 

Happy Editing!

• Tue, Mar 5 2013 5:16 PM In reply to

Concur, but at least it is in there.  An engineer could post this quesiton on the ACSR list and get a hundred answers.

Darryl Jones

ACSR Elite

• Tue, Mar 5 2013 6:50 PM In reply to

Thank you for the response!  I will be back at work tomorrow so I will be able to get those numbers for you.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller