Latest post Thu, Feb 28 2013 2:13 PM by Randall L. Rike. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Feb 26 2013 11:21 PM

• toddzelin
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 14 2013
    • Posts 8
    • Points 120

Moving Systems using the same software license.

Hi all...

I'm currently cutting an indie film in Los Angeles on my home Symphony 6.5.2 and my director lives in Michigan. For the last 2 weeks of the edit I'm flying to Michigan to finish the film with her. Problem is she doesn't have AVID at her facility, only FCP7. 

Can I de-authothrize my software on my home machine and then download and install it in Michigan? Will that work? Is there any delay between de-authorizing and authorizing on a new machine? Any limitations at all? In the old days I would have just taken the dongle with me. 

Thanks!

• Tue, Feb 26 2013 11:28 PM In reply to

Re: Moving Systems using the same software license.

That will work.  No delay that I know of, but you'll be in the air for 6 hours, so ...

And, yes, this is why I only use dongles ... :)

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Tue, Feb 26 2013 11:39 PM In reply to

• toddzelin
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 8
    • Points 120

I wasn't aware when I upgraded that I had a choice in the matter. I may have opted to keep the dongle had I realized. 

Thanks for the speedy reply!

Todd

• Wed, Feb 27 2013 3:29 PM In reply to

• Tony
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 10 2012
    • Knoxville, TN
    • Posts 18
    • Points 230

Also, don't forget that Avid offers a 30-day trial of Symphony. So, even if there is a hiccup in the de-activation/re-activation, the software will still work on the director's machine for 30-days, regardless. Of course, this is assuming she hasn't already used that 30-day trial period in the past on that machine.

(For what it's worth, we've been upgrading some machines at our facility, and the de-activation/re-activation process was trouble free.)

HP Z820 (2.60GHz x2), 16 GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K4000, Win 7 64-bit Professional, Avid Media Composer 8.4, Nitris DX [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 27 2013 4:19 PM In reply to

Tony:
    Also, don't forget that Avid offers a 30-day trial of Symphony.

But keep in mind that with the 30 day trial version, ONLY NEWLY CREATED MEDIA FROM THE ACTIVATION DATE FORWARD is allowed. You CANNOT open existing projects. If you do so, the trial license will immediately expire, because the trial version is for testing purposes to make a buying decision, not to continue working on existing projects and media created before the trial activation.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Feb 27 2013 4:26 PM In reply to

• Tony
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 10 2012
    • Knoxville, TN
    • Posts 18
    • Points 230

Ah, my mistake. I was unaware of that. Thanks for correcting me, Larry. Sorry for spreading the disinformation.

HP Z820 (2.60GHz x2), 16 GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K4000, Win 7 64-bit Professional, Avid Media Composer 8.4, Nitris DX [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 27 2013 4:31 PM In reply to

Not a problem, Tony. It's a very common misperception.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Feb 27 2013 4:34 PM In reply to

toddzelin:
    Can I de-authothrize my software on my home machine and then download and install it in Michigan? Will that work?

Yes. You can install the software on as many machines as you desire, but with a single software license, only one machine can be active at a time. So you would use an internet connection to reactivate your license on the machine in Michigan. The only other limitation is that both machines must have the exact same version of Symphony installed, since unlike dongles, software licenses are NOT backwards compatible. Just one more advantage of the dongle.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Feb 27 2013 5:16 PM In reply to

• toddzelin
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 8
    • Points 120

The versions shouldn't be an issue. I've already downloaded a copy of the 6.5.2 to bring with me to Michigan and that's what I'm running here in LA. 

Thanks for all the help!

Todd

• Wed, Feb 27 2013 6:13 PM In reply to

You're quite welcome, Todd. Best of luck!Yes

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Feb 28 2013 2:13 PM In reply to

"... I may have opted to keep the dongle had I realized  ..."

I spoke to Marianna.  You can revive your dongle, and abandon Software Activation if you want to.  In an e-mail, send her the System ID & Serial Number (cut & paste from Dongle Manager), as well as the Activation Code.  She'll send you an Updater.avb file to blast the dongle, and turn it back on.  Your Software Activation will be decommissined during the process.

Marianna Montague marianna.montague@avid.com

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller