Latest post Tue, Feb 19 2013 3:31 PM by mjolnarn. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Feb 12 2013 10:45 PM

• Viscer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 12 2013
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

AVCHD PRIVATE folder appearing as QuickTime package

I want to import .mts files from to MC 6.5 but I can't because the PRIVATE -> AVCHD -> BVMD folders are appearing as QuickTime packages instead. 

I can right-click and Show Package Contents to get down to the STREAM folder with the .mts files in finder, but it does not work when trying to import into MC.  I tried an apple script that drills straight down to the .mts files when I click on the package, but that also does not work in MC. I just get error messages and MC crashes when I try to open the package to import.

I can rename the folders private -> avchd -> bvmd. When they are shifted to lowercase they become folders again. However, I have been warned against renaming these folders because it will create problems later.

How do I fix this problem and get rid of this stupid quicktime package so I can just import in MC?

• Tue, Feb 12 2013 10:55 PM In reply to

Re: AVCHD PRIVATE folder appearing as QuickTime package

This is a known issue because of the way OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) deals with AVCHD files.  There is a Knowledge Base article here.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Tue, Feb 12 2013 11:08 PM In reply to

• Viscer
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

I had already found this and it did not help at all. I can open the package that way in Finder but when I try to import in avid I don't get the option to Show Package Contents. It doesn't work.

• Wed, Feb 13 2013 2:56 PM In reply to

I don't have any AVCHD material to test this with, but I know you can do this with other Package Contents:

Open the Package Contents as described in the article.
    Drag the top-level folder you want to some other location (like the desktop).  A shortcut should be created there.
    You should be able to navigate to that shortcut within the Import window.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Wed, Feb 13 2013 3:44 PM In reply to

Kevin is correct..... I typically dig down into the sub folders and drag out the STREAM folder.  Or you can just AMA link to volume.  That still works just the same.

MC 2018.9, Blackmagic UltraStudio 4K, 12-Core MacPro, 64 GB RAM, 24 TB Thunderbolt Storage [view my complete system specs]

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. Motion Inc

• Wed, Feb 13 2013 3:46 PM In reply to

Viscer:

I had already found this and it did not help at all. I can open the package that way in Finder but when I try to import in avid I don't get the option to Show Package Contents. It doesn't work.

It seems youre missing the most important step in the process.  After drilling down to see the .mts files at the Finder level you have to copy or move them (via Finder) out to another folder.  Import from the new folder.  

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Mon, Feb 18 2013 8:39 PM In reply to

• Viscer
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

I was concerned that moving them to another folder would create a problem.

I actually solved the problem and it had a lot to do with tunnel vision.  I have ALWAYS imported by right clicking in the bin and choosing Import or going to File > Import and then selecting the files. There is no way to get down to the .mts files there. 

It is embarrassing how long it took me to remember that I can just bore down to the .mts files and DRAG AND DROP them into MC to import. Sadly, no one in the forums mentioned that, probably because it should be so obvious that they don't need to.

• Mon, Feb 18 2013 8:45 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Todd Sanderson:

Kevin is correct..... I typically dig down into the sub folders and drag out the STREAM folder.  Or you can just AMA link to volume.  That still works just the same.

Nope Todd and you others, not with spanned clips, it needs to be the origin not renamed untouched folder structure and you want to use " ama link to volume "

Viscer:

I want to import .mts files from to MC 6.5 but I can't because the PRIVATE -> AVCHD -> BVMD folders are appearing as QuickTime packages instead. 

Workflow is to add that folder inside another folder named by your choice and use the command " ama link to volume "

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Tue, Feb 19 2013 2:26 PM In reply to

Nope Todd and you others, not with spanned clips, it needs to be the origin not renamed untouched folder structure and you want to use " ama link to volume "

I think maybe you're misunderstanding me.  If you want access to the raw .mts files, you can still burrow into the folder structure and extract the STREAM folder.  It's just done differently now, due to Apple's change in how AVCHD in seen by Mountain Lion.

If you simply want to get the AMA clips into the system ASAP, AMA Link to Volume still works the way it always has.  Just link to the Volume and off you go.

MC 2018.9, Blackmagic UltraStudio 4K, 12-Core MacPro, 64 GB RAM, 24 TB Thunderbolt Storage [view my complete system specs]

• Tue, Feb 19 2013 2:57 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Todd Sanderson:

I think maybe you're misunderstanding me.  If you want access to the raw .mts files, you can still burrow into the folder structure and extract the STREAM folder.  It's just done differently now, due to Apple's change in how AVCHD in seen by Mountain Lion.

Correct Todd but this will not work well if you have spanned clips, it´s mainly for smaller / shorter files, if the files are spanned covering two or even more clips ama linking to volume is what you want to use and, in that case, no need for any workaround or bother about what Apple does.

So the main workflow should be to copy the entire card into a new folder named by your choice, same workflow on both Mac and Pc and, in that case, no need for any workarounds.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Tue, Feb 19 2013 2:59 PM In reply to

LOL.... we're saying the same thing!

• Tue, Feb 19 2013 3:31 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Smile

Tomas 

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller