Latest post Sat, Feb 2 2013 3:44 PM by Sef. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jan 26 2013 12:19 PM

• Sef
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Maarssen, The Netherlands
    • Posts 946
    • Points 12,865

Vignette in AvidFX

Case:

- on the MC timeline, I have a short clip

- I apply an AvidFX filter above the clip

- I go into AvidFX Editor

- Video 1 is the MC clip

- Video 2 is a solid color

- I scale Video 1 to half the size

- I want to blur the border (edge?) of Video 1 to smoothly change into the solid color of Video2.

I know how to do this with the Paint Effect, but I want to do it in AvidFX for other reasons.

How?

MC6.0.5, QT version 7.7.1, AvidFX 6.2(64bit), Squeeze Pro 8.5.0.41, AvidDVD 6.4.4, Boris Continuum Complete 8.2, TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 5, TMPGEnc... [view my complete system specs]

• Sun, Jan 27 2013 10:13 AM In reply to

• drbgaijin
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Kumamoto, Japan
    • Posts 6,537
    • Points 81,920

Re: Vignette in AvidFX

Sef,

I have been busy recording some tutorials, so I didn't get time to answer this question of yours yet.

If you are still having a problem, please Skype me and I'll walk you through it.

Regards,
    Douglas

System 1:AMC 6.5.4, Edius Pro 7.31 - Windows 7 64 bit Pro SP1 - Nvidia Quadro FX3700, 331.65 driver - Quicktime 7.7.5 - 24GB memory, i7 980 3.33GHz CPU... [view my complete system specs]

Click to go to    FREE VIDEO TUTORIALS    that mere mortals can understand

• Mon, Jan 28 2013 11:07 AM In reply to

• Sef
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 946
    • Points 12,865

Hy Douglas,

I'm using a combination of the Paint Effect and above that an AvidFX Filter. It is OK, but I'm still curious for a solution in AvidFX only (no need for the Paint Effect).

On the Boris Forum, experts tell that it is not possible to do this in Boris (AvidFX). There is a somewhat "look-alike" for a vignette, but that is only done in the clip, not a combination of layers (more tracks).

I will have a look for you on Skype....

MC6.0.5, QT version 7.7.1, AvidFX 6.2(64bit), Squeeze Pro 8.5.0.41, AvidDVD 6.4.4, Boris Continuum Complete 8.2, TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 5, TMPGEnc... [view my complete system specs]

• Mon, Jan 28 2013 12:19 PM In reply to

• drbgaijin
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Kumamoto, Japan
    • Posts 6,537
    • Points 81,920

Sef:
    On the Boris Forum, experts tell that it is not possible to do this in Boris (AvidFX). There is a somewhat "look-alike" for a vignette, but that is only done in the clip, not a combination of layers (more tracks).

Maybe I will surprise you.
    Maybe not

Regards,
    Douglas

System 1:AMC 6.5.4, Edius Pro 7.31 - Windows 7 64 bit Pro SP1 - Nvidia Quadro FX3700, 331.65 driver - Quicktime 7.7.5 - 24GB memory, i7 980 3.33GHz CPU... [view my complete system specs]

• Mon, Jan 28 2013 2:34 PM In reply to

• Sef
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 946
    • Points 12,865

Douglas did surprise me!

The Effect I wanted (see first entry), is simple achieved by using a Spline Object (f.i. the "egg" shape) and then apply a Gaussian Blur. Of course adjustments had te be made for the scaling and placing, but even if there is no MC-paint Effect in AvidFX, the final result is exactly the same. And all in one AvidFX Effect applied!

The whole instruction sets and more, are in one of Douglas tutorials.

Thanks Douglas (again).

• Mon, Jan 28 2013 2:39 PM In reply to

• drbgaijin
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Kumamoto, Japan
    • Posts 6,537
    • Points 81,920

Thank you, Sef

I am glad that I was able to help where the experts could not  Geeked

Regards,
    Douglas

• Mon, Jan 28 2013 6:08 PM In reply to

• Sef
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 946
    • Points 12,865

Wink

• Tue, Jan 29 2013 10:42 AM In reply to

• Mike Shaw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Kent, United Kingdom
    • Posts 1,418
    • Points 19,630

Sef - we have a small group of 5-6 people who get together every now and again to discuss our latest MC tricks, seek help, and generally natter about MC.

At the last get-together a week or so back, our host - John E - showed us a way to create a vignette using Avid FX that was so quick, neat and simple, I wondered just why it wasn't the 'standard' way  of doing it (or, perhaps it is for some - but I hadn't seen it before).

From memory, in Avid FX, add a gradient layer to the video track you want to vignette.  Select the 'oval/centre circle, preset'. (Colouring is totally irrelevant - any colour you like)

Then simply change the gradient's alpha channel value.  All the colouring goes, and you're left with a simple alpha channel mask - the shape of which is adjustable of course.

Fast. Simple.

I am beginning to get very attracted to Avid FX!!  (Also managed to use Avid FX to create a 'Fold' transition effect I'd wanted for ages - where the right side of an image folds over to the left side, like a book page turning, to reveal the next clip.  Took me about an hour to work out (on paper) and do, but I now have it as a permanent transition in the Library ... a big Yes to Avid FX!

MC6.0.3.2 Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Rev2 MB, Intel i7-950 3.06Ghz, 12GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM, 1x500GB, 3x1TB HDrives, 2+1TB Network drives, nVidia Quadro FX1800... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 29 2013 3:03 PM In reply to

• Sef
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 946
    • Points 12,865

Hi Mike,

I'm not sure that the way you described, makes this type of vignette possible. I'm still not an expert, so I'm not sure.

• Tue, Jan 29 2013 3:15 PM In reply to

• Mike Shaw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Kent, United Kingdom
    • Posts 1,418
    • Points 19,630

Yes it would work Sef - all you'd need to do is add a track below the vignetted track with the required colour.  With no track of course, the background is 'black, and the vignette fades off to 'transparent and black'.  For a colour, just add it as the background.  As for position - simply a case of adjusting size and position of the gradient filter.  One can also of course adjust the gradient - to adjust the edge transparency region of the vignette.

Very simples!

MC6.0.3.2 Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Rev2 MB, Intel i7-950 3.06Ghz, 12GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM, 1x500GB, 3x1TB HDrives, 2+1TB Network drives, nVidia Quadro FX1800... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Feb 2 2013 10:38 AM In reply to

• Mike Shaw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Kent, United Kingdom
    • Posts 1,418
    • Points 19,630

Correction - you don't add the background colour to the background )V1) track - in fact V1 track can be deleted unless wanted for something else.

When the Alpha slider is moved from 255 to zero - it creates the 'alpha/see through' area for the selected colour point on the radial gradient scale bar.  Select the other colour point - and turn it to any colour you want. Job done.

As for positioning the effect on the screen - well, you have the position and scale controls available of course.  If the video image is to be the whole screen scaled down - then do that first on the video track, then apply the gradient track.

Yep.  I am now seeing the point of using Avid FX! Big Smile

• Sat, Feb 2 2013 11:34 AM In reply to

• drbgaijin
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Kumamoto, Japan
    • Posts 6,537
    • Points 81,920

Sef:
    I'm not sure that the way you described, makes this type of vignette possible. I'm still not an expert, so I'm not sure.

Sef,

Mike and I had a look at the two methods just a moment ago.

I can see that it will depend on what you are trying to achieve. Sometimes my suggested method will be better and sometimes Mike's.

The big difference in the way the effect is being created is that inm"my" method you add a Gaussian blur to the spline object. Thus, only the border gets blurred. The contents remain sharp.
    With Mike's method the gradient mask is affecting the whole picture. You would then have to adjust the parameters to try and get get a similar effect to mine.

Regards,
    Douglas

• Sat, Feb 2 2013 12:29 PM In reply to

• drbgaijin
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Kumamoto, Japan
    • Posts 6,537
    • Points 81,920

I just realised that the other big difference is that by using spline objects (as I am doing) I get a vignetted video clip that is independent of the background colour.
    In other words the vignetted area is in fact a fade to transparent. So the background, whatever it may be, will show through.  Here is a very short demo of 3 vignetted clips moving around over the background. (not that anyone would want to do that in the way I show - but there may be some use for the idea)

http://www.screencast.com/t/UrQZ3mC8b

Regards,
    Douglas

PS. I think I'll let that be my last appearance in this thread Geeked

• Sat, Feb 2 2013 1:00 PM In reply to

• Mike Shaw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Kent, United Kingdom
    • Posts 1,418
    • Points 19,630

Yes, that kind of use of the vignette would be probably tricky by the gradient method.  The gradient method is ideal for making a scene or clip look like a vignetted photograph, although the edges can be 'sharpened up' - just as you can easily change the appearance of a 2 colour gardient - the hardness oir softness of the gradation from one colour to another, and of course the size and position of the gradient area.  As ever, it depends what you want to do in the end as to which is the route to take.

It does underline the fact though that, in Avid FX, there's more than one way to skin the cat and invariably there is a way to get presactly* what you want. 

*Presactly = precisely and exactly ...

• Sat, Feb 2 2013 3:44 PM In reply to

• Sef
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 946
    • Points 12,865

Mike Shaw:

It does underline the fact though that, in Avid FX, there's more than one way to skin the cat ...... 

I (we) have three cats. So Douglas example fitted in very nice. But now, the cats are with the vet, recovering from my tests.

To be honest: both methods are very useful and it depends on what to achieve. Both ways showed me (again) that the potential of AvidFX is very great.

If I was as good as Douglas and Mike, I would have made a little tutorial myself. For you, of course.

Thanks to all these former Liquid boys and girls. Those not coming from there, must look at us, as if are aliens... Big Smile

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

Avid Technology, Inc. brands:
M-Audio  |   Sibelius  |   Pinnacle Systems  |  

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller