Latest post Tue, Mar 27 2018 4:01 PM by dmac547. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jan 20 2013 12:14 AM

• brian2803
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 25 2012
    • Posts 5
    • Points 95

Copying and Pasting Timecode

Hey guys, I recently posted to a forum and they told me I should request this feature to you guys.

In final cut, the timecode display in the sequence timeline as well as the source and record monitors is copy and paste-able. so you can click in it to paste in a timecode value from a text document if someone made timecode notes. I know it's possible to manually type in timecode to jump to a certain spot in the timeline or a clip, but it doesn't allow you to paste a value into it, as far as I can tell.

My post is at the very bottom of the last page of this thread. I've found a workaround for now, but having this feature would certainly help:

http://community.avid.com/forums/p/108845/671375.aspx#671375

(this is what i wrote in the post)

Hey guys, this thread has been extremely helpful, particularly the detailed step by step for how to initiate entering time code values on a laptop.

My specific question is if it's possible to copy and paste timecode, in order to jump to specific spots in the timeline or in a clip.

I'm a new MC user -- for a project I have a long list of markers with annotations and corresponding timecodes for where the markers are located in the timeline. The document is a separate text document (I 'exported' the markers in the timeline into a text document). I simply want to be able to copy the timecode for a certain marker (such as: 01:09:20:07) from the text document into MC so the playhead will jump to that point.

Because of this thread, I now know how to manually type in values to jump the playhead to a certain timecode, but when I try to Paste a timecode value in from my text document it simply Pastes a CLIP into the timeline (or whatever happens to be on MC's clipboard), rather than pasting in the text into the timecode box.

The closest I've gotten is going into the Bin where my Sequence is, putting it in text view and going to the column 'mark IN', and pasting the timecode value in there. It marks an IN point at the correct location in the sequence, then I can bring the playhead to it manually.

I'm similarly curious of how to COPY timecode from wherever the playhead is in the timeline, either to put into a text doc or paste to jump to the same point in a different sequence. I could mark an IN point and copy the in point value from the column view in the bin, just curious if there's a way to copy the value of where the Playhead is -- the same value displayed in the Record monitor (Mas TC1). If I could just copy and paste directly into the Record monitor readout that would solve it! But I'm committed to MC now so curious to hear your thoughts

For now I'm making due with whenever I want to copy a timecode from the timeline or a clip, setting an IN point, and copying the value from the Mark IN column of my bin. Then to paste, pasting the value into the Mark IN column of the clip/sequence i want to paste into, then hitting the shortcuts 'go to inpoint,' then 'clear in out.' Not bad, but skipping these steps woudl be helpful, so I'll give them a shout about it

Eric George, running MC 6.5 on a Macbook Pro Retina

Macbook Pro Retina running Media Composer 6.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 20 2013 9:21 PM In reply to

Re: Copying and Pasting Timecode

I agree the ability to copy timecodes from the various UI locations would be useful. Not sure how practical pasteing that info into them would be but if you can paste it into the source or record monitor to jump to that code.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Mon, Jan 21 2013 1:05 AM In reply to

• brian2803
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 25 2012
    • Posts 5
    • Points 95

Thanks Pat, yes my thought with being able to paste into the UI timecode locations was exactly that - pasting a timecode from a text document of producer notes, then the playhead would jump to that spot

Macbook Pro Retina running Media Composer 6.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 5 2013 4:36 PM In reply to

• Nnata
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 13 2010
    • London
    • Posts 1,026
    • Points 13,645

An absolute must for me. Those who know...know.

• Tue, Mar 26 2013 5:11 PM In reply to

• RyanR
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 25 2008
    • Posts 39
    • Points 445

Brian, are you saying that if you hit Ctrl twice to bring up the timecode entry box, and then paste, it doesn't paste the timecode you copied?

On a mac, when I copy a timecode from a text document, I can paste it into the timecode box wihthout issue. Are you PC based?

• Tue, Mar 26 2013 5:30 PM In reply to

You should be able to paste into any MC UI location that allows you to select and change that timecode. SO in bins etc. And yes if you have the timecode entry box up for manual timecode entry it shoudl allow you to paste a previously copied timecode.

My need is to be able to copy from the various UI locations outside bins (ie above the source record monitors) to then use that as a paste.

Currently the timecode display above the source or record monitor or in the timeline position window can't be selected or copied.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Tue, Mar 26 2013 9:40 PM In reply to

• RyanR
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 25 2008
    • Posts 39
    • Points 445

Yes, this would be a nice feature to have.

As a workaround, this isn't super graceful because it requires marking and then clearing the mark, but you can use a macro program to do the following to copy the current sequence TC:

1 - Mark In

2 - Activate Composer window (Cmd+4)

3 - Open Get Info window (Cmd+i)

4 - Select Mark IN TC (Shift+Tab)

5 - Copy (Cmd+C)

6 - Close Get Info window (Cmd+w)

7 - Activate Timeline (Cmd+0)

8 - Clear Mark In (whatever you have this mapped to)

This can probably be done in Applescript also if you don't want to use a macro program. i just created and tested on my Naga and it works very well (with the stated limitations of having to use marks + only working for Master sequence TC).

• Tue, Mar 26 2013 9:43 PM In reply to

• DylanReeve
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 1,677
    • Points 20,435
    • Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Depending on your specific needs you could also add markers in appropriate places and then export the Markers when you're done - but obviously it all depends what you need the timecode for. Copy and Paste in some areas at least would be good.

HP Workstations with MC 8.4 64TB EditShare XStream Storage [view my complete system specs]

Dylan Reeve - Edit Geek // Online/Offline Editor // Post Production Supervisor
    Auckland, New Zealand

• Mon, Apr 8 2013 2:22 AM In reply to

• John Adams
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Feb 23 2013
    • Vancouver, BC
    • Posts 59
    • Points 670

+1

I just bumped up against the same problem. Unleash copy & paste!

Wouldn't hurt to be able to copy and paste clips in the bins, too... but that's a topic for another post.

• Tue, Jul 8 2014 9:27 PM In reply to

• LKJ JKL
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 2 2009
    • Posts 120
    • Points 1,405

RyanR:
    On a mac, when I copy a timecode from a text document, I can paste it into the timecode box wihthout issue.

is this really true? can someone confirm this please?

HP Z420 (E5-1650v2) | 32GB RAM | 250 GB SSD (OS) | NVIDIA Quadro P2000 | internal raid0 | AJA Io Express | Win7 Pro64 Sp1 | MC v8.10 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 8 2014 11:37 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,346
    • Points 96,540

In Lightworks I can right-click on any timecode and "tear it off".  That torn off timecode can then be dropped onto the desktop for later use, or dragged to any timecode window and dropped in.  That process can be used to either modify the current timecode of media or edits in a viewer or thumbnail or to jump to the new timecode.

That feature has been in Lightworks since the early '90s.

Even before NLEs, I wrote a routine for an off-line CMX-like edit system in the late '70s that allowed you grab timecodes from anywhere they were displayed on screen (including the list) and drop them into any timecode entry field.  It wasn't hard to do, even on an 8-bit CPU.

Timecode is going to be with us for a while.  It would be nice if Avid supported it with the full flexibility possible.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 9 2014 2:01 PM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 1,017
    • Points 11,630

All the linear controllers could manipulate timecode and had constant registers for offsets etc....

• Wed, Jul 9 2014 2:43 PM In reply to

I agree that Copy/Paste can and should be improved within MC.

In the meantime, maybe this thing works: http://capture2text.sourceforge.net/#intro

Windows7 Pro; HP 820z, 16GB ram; Composer Nitris DX, Squeeze v8.5 Pro _____ Windows10 Pro x64 Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition Tower i7-8700 3.2 Ghz; 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Oct 15 2015 4:51 PM In reply to

• Zach Fine
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 31 2011
    • Posts 31
    • Points 365

Bump! Avid, please implement this in some manner. It's cramping my style automation-wise to not be able to copy timecode values to the clipboard. There are many many assistant editors who would love this feature.

Media Composer 2018.4.0 OS X 10.13.3 Late 2013 MacPro 3GHz 8-Core 128Gb RAM D700 GPU [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Oct 15 2015 5:56 PM In reply to

• Zach Fine
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 31 2011
    • Posts 31
    • Points 365

I did find a very kludgy workaround.

This Alfred workflow can be used to OCR a screen capture. And I do have it working now to capture just the right portion of the Timecode window (displaying timecode at size '40'). This isn't really a good solution, as it requires the Timecode window to be open and configured just so and placed at just the right spot.

https://github.com/ramiroaraujo/alfred-screenshot-ocr-workflow

Better would be a keystroke to select-all the text of the timecode field in the timeline, at which point it could be edited (which would be similar to hitting ctrl-ctrl to enter a TC value) or copied to the clipboard with cmd-c/ctrl-c. This was a very useful feature in FCP7 and would be great to have in Media Composer.

Media Composer 2018.4.0 OS X 10.13.3 Late 2013 MacPro 3GHz 8-Core 128Gb RAM D700 GPU [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller