Latest post Tue, Jan 8 2013 3:50 PM by Daniel Frome. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jan 8 2013 3:23 PM

Question about AAF export to ProTools

I heard something this morning that somewhat surprised me.  I am not sure if it is true or false, and I'm hoping to gain some insight.

I hope I explain this right...

Let's say I have autosynced a bunch of video clips with some audio from a multitrack recorder.  I'm throwing down these video clips onto my timeline, but I'm only using 1 or 2 audio tracks on the timeline.   When it comes time to export an audio AAF, will the protools guys be able to listen to the other tracks not included on my timeline?  

Home: 2012 rMBP 2.6ghz, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.10.5, MC 8.4.1 || Work: HP Z400, Win7 Professional, MC 6.5, ISIS/Interplay @danielfrome on twitter [view my complete system specs]

Avid GoPro

• Tue, Jan 8 2013 3:35 PM In reply to

Re: Question about AAF export to ProTools

I am not 100% sure on this, but I believe the answer is no.  Generally, when you have grouped clips, you need to "Commit Multicam Edits" before MC will allow for an AAF export.  That removes the group clips and locks in the particular clips you used into your timeline.

I think the only way to include all of the source material is to include it in the timeline.  Just edit with all the tracks, but turn off others for monitoring purposes.  Or, go back and add things back once you have final picture locked.

Symphony v8.8 | OS 10.11.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Tue, Jan 8 2013 3:41 PM In reply to

If the multitrack recorded recorded BWF-M rather than BWF-P, then yes, ProTools 9 and 10 can bring up all original source tracks for any single clip of audio that is in your sequence. In PT 10, they need to mark your tracks as Field Recorder Guide Track, then they can select one or more clips and choose Find Field Recorder Originals.

i've done this in several projects over the past 18 months. My production sound would have one or two tracks contaning a production sound mix, then anywhere between 2 and 6 unmixed ISO tracks. My AE would import all of them, then sync only the mixdown. That way, I did have access to the individual tracks whn needed. Sound editorial gets whatever tracks I included in the sequence, but can make PT link back to all related tracks of the original BWAV (so if I only spliced in A1 or A3, they would instantly be able to expand that region/segment to the same segment/region on all 8 original tracks).

AutoSync differs from Multicam, so no need to commit in this case.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 8 2013 3:50 PM In reply to

Job ter Burg:

If the multitrack recorded recorded BWF-M rather than BWF-P, then yes, ProTools 9 and 10 can bring up all original source tracks for any single clip of audio that is in your sequence. In PT 10, they need to mark your tracks as Field Recorder Guide Track, then they can select one or more clips and choose Find Field Recorder Originals.

AutoSync differs from Multicam, so no need to commit in this case.

Very interesting.  If you wouldn't mind, a few follow up questions:

1) Is there documentation on BWF-M vs BWF-P available to read?  A quick google search hasn't revealed any easy links in that field.  I want to read a lot more about this, which should answer the bulk of my follow up questions.

2) Let's pretend I did receive BWF-M files, and autosynced them, and then edited a short film, but only using selective audio tracks on my timline.  Are you saying alternate audio tracks are included in a consolidate process, even if they weren't on my sequence?

EDIT:  Ah!  I re-read your response and understand it better.  So, essentially the ProTools guys need access to the original BWF files, as well as the audio AAF from your sequence.  Together, they can access all the ISO tracks, but this process only works right if the format is BWF-M?

3) Is there an easy way to check whether I've received BWF-M or BWF-P?

This information is invaluable.  I'm always amazed at all the stuff I don't know!

Home: 2012 rMBP 2.6ghz, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.10.5, MC 8.4.1 || Work: HP Z400, Win7 Professional, MC 6.5, ISIS/Interplay @danielfrome on twitter [view my complete system specs]

Avid GoPro

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller