Latest post Mon, Jan 7 2013 7:00 PM by Job ter Burg. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jan 7 2013 2:49 PM

• mkj
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sweden
    • Posts 404
    • Points 5,310

auto audio leveling in Avid?

Hi

Have a project that dont have time to send their material for Audio adjusments, so they use Adobe Audition to leveling the audio in a finished projekct to -10.

So workflow today is:

Audio export from Avid. 

Import to Adobe Audition

leveling to -10 with a Waves plugin

Export from Adobe Audition

Import to Avid.

Is there any smarter and faster way to do this?

BR

• Mon, Jan 7 2013 3:37 PM In reply to

• Moses.M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jun 9 2008
    • Austria
    • Posts 651
    • Points 8,100

Re: auto audio leveling in Avid?

what about the "normalize" audio suite effect?

HP xw8400 - 6GB RAM | W7 64 bit | MC 5.5.2 | Adrenaline with DNxcel Sony Vaio SB1Z1 - 6GB Ram | W7 64 bit | Blackmagic Design Ultra Studio SDI [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 7 2013 3:45 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,373
    • Points 16,955

You can use the compressor limiter on either a clip or track basis -- but it's a quick and dirty workaround for something that should be done properly.

• Mon, Jan 7 2013 3:55 PM In reply to

• mkj
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sweden
    • Posts 404
    • Points 5,310

What is the most proper way in your eyes?

Why we let the editors do it this way is because of very short time between mastering - broadcast. (it's a weekly live show)

• Mon, Jan 7 2013 4:21 PM In reply to

• Moses.M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jun 9 2008
    • Austria
    • Posts 651
    • Points 8,100

well don't you have to mix them according to ebu R 128 for your broadcaster?

if you have to, I'ld let them create a stereo mixdown and use the audio grimm plugin "levelnorm". fast. simple. easy.

you can't tweak and control very much with this plugin, but on the other hand, you can't make much mistakes....

HP xw8400 - 6GB RAM | W7 64 bit | MC 5.5.2 | Adrenaline with DNxcel Sony Vaio SB1Z1 - 6GB Ram | W7 64 bit | Blackmagic Design Ultra Studio SDI [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 7 2013 5:13 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,373
    • Points 16,955

Best normal way is to aaf the material to a protools workstation and use the advanced hardware and software tools plus the skilled ears of a dedicated audio engineer/artist.

2nd best is to find a good ballpark on each clip, EQ and filter as necessary, fine tune the mix using autogain or rubber banding.  Add in a little compressor/limiter if necessary.  (Too compressed sounds awful.)  Then legalise to standards.   --You know, mixing.Wink

mkj:

(it's a weekly live show)

So these are roll-ins?  How long are the pieces?

• Mon, Jan 7 2013 6:34 PM In reply to

Our audio finishing is normally happening at the smae time as the online contorm so it's no longer to do it right. We have the loudness tools in the Protools as well so we can be sure we're compiant.

But yu can achieve the same in MC as the plugins will work there it's just a faff as you need to do mixdowns etc.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Mon, Jan 7 2013 7:00 PM In reply to

mkj:
    leveling to -10 with a Waves plugin
    You can do the same in Media Composer. Just make sure to get the AudioSuite version of that plugin you're using in Audition, and apply it to a mixdown of your show.

If you're brickwall limiting (Waves L1 or L2), you might want to take a look at Massey's L2007. Much bang for the buck, and works inside MC / SY.

As others mentioned, brickwall limiting is slowly going away, and you may very soon be required to deliver in EBU R128 or ATSC A/85. Indeed Grimm Audio's LevelNorm is an affordable, easy way to get your mix to comply to either of those.

In general, if time is of the essence and you are not in a position to get your show through a separate audio room, it makes sense to invest a little in the room and workflow. Meaning that you should try to calibrate your room to a certain comfortable level (say 75dB or so). Then teach your editors to not change the monitoring volume dial while working, but keeping that monitoring level consistent and balance all the production sound, sound fx, voice overs and music while cutting them into the sequence. You could even use very moderate compression on the dialogue and VO tracks (don't overdo it). This way, you should be able to get a mix that sounds nice, and it should be quite painless to run it through LevelNorm. If your you would your editors to feel more comfortable when mixing, you should try to dampen the early reflections in the room by placing some acousitic panels, like those by GiK Acoustics.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller