Latest post Thu, Jan 3 2013 9:10 PM by judearndt. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Dec 23 2012 2:24 AM

• judearndt
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, May 23 2008
    • St. Louis
    • Posts 64
    • Points 755

P2 doesn't show up in media tool

I'm having trouble getting P2 footage into the media tool.  When I used Xpress Pro, I would just put the MXF files in the Avid MediaFiles\MXF\1 (or whatever number) folder and it'd show up in the media tool.  Now when I do that, Media Composer scans and indexes the folders with MXF files, but they never show up in the media tool.  What am I missing?

(I'm running Media Composer 6.0.1.)

Media Composer 6.0.1 / Canon C100, Canon 5D Mark III x 2 and Canon 5D Mark II, Panasonic HPX170 / Intel Core i7 940 @ 2.93ghz / 20 gb ram / Matrox Mini [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Dec 23 2012 12:45 PM In reply to

Re: P2 doesn't show up in media tool

You need to have the P2 AMA plugin installed and the MXF plugin and then use AMA to mount the volume. Then if you want it as Avid Media consolidate those clips.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Wed, Dec 26 2012 6:34 PM In reply to

• judearndt
    • Not Ranked
    • St. Louis
    • Posts 64
    • Points 755

Thanks for the reply.  I know about the AMA way, but can you no longer use the Media Tool method by putting files in Avid MediaFiles\MXF?  That's what I'm wondering about, because of course in Xpress Pro you could edit P2 footage natively without having to consolidate it or look at it through AMA.

Media Composer 6.0.1 / Canon C100, Canon 5D Mark III x 2 and Canon 5D Mark II, Panasonic HPX170 / Intel Core i7 940 @ 2.93ghz / 20 gb ram / Matrox Mini [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Dec 26 2012 6:42 PM In reply to

To confirm, you're dragging the P2 media files into a numbered folder under \MXF, correct?  If so, after you launched Media Composer, did the media get scanned & indexed, creating new updated media databases?

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Thu, Dec 27 2012 5:43 AM In reply to

• judearndt
    • Not Ranked
    • St. Louis
    • Posts 64
    • Points 755

Yes, the media did get scanned and indexed, so that seemed to work as normal.  But when I go to Media Tool, the newly scanned and indexed files don't show up.  They're just P2 MXF files, both audio and video, so it's the same process I always used back with Xpress Pro.  I almost wonder if the hard drive itself has an option for this that's turned off or something, because Avid is seemingly doing its part other than actually showing the files in the Media Tool.  Kind of a mystery to me, though.

• Thu, Dec 27 2012 6:14 AM In reply to

Although I haven't seen it recently, I used to have occasions where media files, although scanned and indexed, couldn't be seen by Media Composer.  As it turned out it was a permissions issue.

New files, when manually copied to a folder, may not inherit the permissions of that folder.  When this used to happen, I would reset the Ownership of the containing folder(s).

Windows Explorer

Right-click on X:\Avid MediaFiles (where x: is your media drive)

Properties > Security > Edit

Highlight "Administrators" & choose Full Control, and click OK

Advanced > Owner > Edit

Highlight "Administrators" & click on "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects

Click Apply (and choose Yes to the warning) & then OK

Ownership will be re-assigned.  This may tale a minute or so.

Click OK, and exit.

Note that this is similare to this older Knowledgebase article:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/error_message/en233927?popup=true&NewLang=en&DocType=1081

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Thu, Jan 3 2013 8:49 PM In reply to

• judearndt
    • Not Ranked
    • St. Louis
    • Posts 64
    • Points 755

Okay, I think it's finally solved.  Randall, I followed your instructions (and I was familiar with that process already), but just resetting the ownership of the Avid MediaFiles folder didn't seem to change things, so what I did was reset the ownership of the entire drive (O:\) with the same process that you described, and that has apparently solved the issue.  Thanks very much for the help!

As a side note, does anyone know of a reason not to edit P2 footage this way (meaning through Avid MediaFiles and the Media Tool)?  It seems much faster than AMA, while also not forcing you to transcode to Avid media.  Maybe I'm missing something important, though.

• Thu, Jan 3 2013 9:02 PM In reply to

If you AMA link and consolidate you make copies of that media in the media drives and that media is flagged with that project name maing media management easier.

If you copy the raw files they have no project association.

Also with AMA link you can make selects of what ypu wnat rather than taking it all.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Thu, Jan 3 2013 9:10 PM In reply to

• judearndt
    • Not Ranked
    • St. Louis
    • Posts 64
    • Points 755

That makes sense.  I have a lot to learn about taking advantage of Avid's media management features, as far as linking/relinking, etc., so thanks for the insight.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller