Latest post Thu, Dec 20 2012 1:31 AM by jwrl. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Dec 19 2012 4:47 PM

• pjamali
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 25 2012
    • Posts 2
    • Points 60

Dongle Switch

Currently have two Avid systems and just purchased an upgrade. However, I would like to upgrade the older system which has a software license and change that to a dongle. The problem is the dongle is currently being used on another system. If I change the existing dongle to a software license can I then reuse the deactivated dongle on another system that is a software license to a dongle? 

Filed under: , ,
  • Wed, Dec 19 2012 4:51 PM In reply to

Re: Dongle Switch

I assume you have a software license upgrade ratehr than a dongle upgrade?

The issue you have is that software licenses only allow activation of that version of software not older versions. So you can't run that software activation on an older version of the software.

To update the dongle you need a dongle updater and atht has to be tied to the dongle ID number.

Sounds like it maybe best to contact Marianna.

Marianna Montague [marianna.montague@avid.com]

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Wed, Dec 19 2012 5:04 PM In reply to

You purchased one upgrade or two?  The licenses, either Software Activation or Dongle, are not tied to physical systems.  Why not just upgrade the Dongle and use it whereever you want, and then upgrade the other system with Software Activation whenever you want?

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Wed, Dec 19 2012 5:20 PM In reply to

• pjamali
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 25 2012
    • Posts 2
    • Points 60

Purchased one upgrade. I currently have MC6 but purchased the wrong upgrade. So I thought I might as well upgrade 3.5 to 6.5 on one and keep 6 on the current. However, I would like to have 6.5 be the dongle and 6 be the software license.

• Wed, Dec 19 2012 5:35 PM In reply to

So you have a dongle system currently on V3.5 and a software licensed V6.0 system.

You purchased a software upgrade for the V6.0 system (which gets you new activation serial but is tied to the V6 system ID) However that upgrade was the Pre V6 higher cost one so you'd ratehr apply it to the V3.5 system which is a dongle?

So it sounds like you need to convert your upgrade licesne code to a dongle updater (that can be done)

That would give you a dongle licensed to V6.5 but still abel to run V3.5 and your original V6.0 as it was software licensed.

If you then want to swap you need to install the V6.0.3.2 software on the old V3.5 system (and cosider the hardware issues that involves) de-activatye the V6.0 systrem and use that license info on the newly installed V6.0.3.2 system. Then update the V6.0 system to V6.5 and use the dongle on it.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Wed, Dec 19 2012 5:40 PM In reply to

As Pat mentioned, contact Marianna Montague [marianna.montague@avid.com].

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Wed, Dec 19 2012 7:37 PM In reply to

pjamali:
    So I thought I might as well upgrade 3.5 to 6.5 on one and keep 6 on the current.

Keep in mind that versions 5 and older are 32 bit based software, where starting with version 6, the application is now 64 bit based, requiring a 64 bit based OS, so that could be a factor affecting the upgrade. Version 6 will NOT run on a 32 bit OS. Also, if you currently have BCC effects on the 3.5 version, you will need to upgrade it to the 64 bit based BCC8 with version 6. That upgrade is available on the Boris website for $495.00.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Thu, Dec 20 2012 1:31 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,402
    • Points 97,185

Is it worth your while buying a dongle for your software activated system?  It's a further expense, but it might suit you better in the long run.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller