Latest post Sun, Dec 9 2012 10:31 AM by Randall L. Rike. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Dec 9 2012 6:17 AM

• Lenny V
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, May 29 2012
    • NYC
    • Posts 27
    • Points 365

Need advice for new system that can handle avid mc 6.5

My home computer was killed yesterday by a glass of water spilling on it (2011 MacBook Pro 15" max spec, it hurts deeply) I need to buy a new system for my house. Occasionally I take work home to edit but most of the time I only do side projects with it like commercials, documentaries low budget films etc. I'm tight on budget now and I saw the new Mac minis that just came out look extremely impressive. I was wondering if anyone has used the newer models with avid and if it can handle everyday tasks mostly from dslr. I'm contemplating between a new Mac mini or a new imac. Leaning towards the new mini simply because I can max out the ram and its cheaper and seems like a better deal. Thoughts? 

Work: MacPro quad core 2.66ghz XEON 6GB Ram AVID MC 4.0.5 Home: Macbook Pro 15" 2011 2.0ghz 12 gb ram Avid MC 6.5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Dec 9 2012 10:31 AM In reply to

Re: Need advice for new system that can handle avid mc 6.5

A small church in central CA asked me to recommend and configure a new system after they were burglarized.  Avid had just added the Mac Mini's to the qualified systems list, so we went with that.  I added a 25" HP display.  With many of your peripherals being Thunderbolt, connectivity should not be an issue.

During their first service with the new system, I shot AVCHD on a Canon Vixia HFM-50, and the Mini had no trouble atr all AMA linking & Transcoding.

It seems like a good value.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller