Latest post Mon, Jun 3 2013 8:41 AM by monica660. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Dec 7 2012 1:03 PM

• Mario
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 23 2012
    • New York
    • Posts 9
    • Points 125

GoPro Workflow

Hi everyone, 

I guess I have two questions regarding GOPRO... I'm currently receiving 300 hours of GoPro footage shot on 1080p 30NTSC. I'll be working on Avid Media Composer 6.5.  In the past, whenever I've received Gopro material, I would simply AMA link and then transcode the footage to a lower resolution to work with. Although, whenever I begin to Uprez the gopro footage, the footage will change tape names after the decomp stage of the Upres. I then cut in the individual clips in via Time Code (not very efficient but it works.)  Is there a work around to this? 

Since there is a massive amount of material on my upcoming project, what would be the best workflow for ingesting lots of gopro footage into Avid?  Should I lay off to tape and ingest in order to avoid the first problem? 

Any inputs would help. 

Thanks

Mario

MC 6.0.1, Nitris DX, ISIS 5000, Quicktime 7.7.1 Windows 7 Professional, Intel(r) Xeon(r)3.33 GHz, 12.0GB RAM, 64 bit Operating system. [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , , ,
  • Fri, Dec 7 2012 5:07 PM In reply to

Re: GoPro Workflow

You should be able to AMA link the GoPro footage. Transcode to offline. Edit. The re-mount the AMA volumes and then re-link the sequence to the AMA sources (this may require manually taing the transcoded media offline for that step until such time that Avid give us a user control over forcing links to AMA only)

I demonstrate these steps in VETs Avid media managment course and we use it in post on a daily process.

But you need to test it and be sure it works for you before you rely on it1

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Multiple systems: Symphony V7.0.3 & Resolve Plus FCP... [view my complete system specs]

Pat Horridge
    Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor, ACSR, Apple Certified Support Professional 10.6

Avid MC V7 Background Transcode Demo  Avid MC V7 DMF Demo

VET      Production    Editing     Digital Media    Blu-ray    DVD
    T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
    www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square  London N1 6US

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Fri, Dec 7 2012 5:46 PM In reply to

• Mario
    • Not Ranked
    • New York
    • Posts 9
    • Points 125

Thank you for the input. The only problem I come across the workflow you mentioned, is when I decompose the sequence in order to uprez my material, it seems that some Gopro clips will randomly change clip names. I then have to locate the correct GoPro clip and eye-match it in order to get the right clip in place. Unfortunately the problem doesn't end there... when I consolidate my media over to the drive, all but the gopro consolidate. The gopro material will give me this error:  

"Some of the items selected for Consolidate contained foreign compression types, which could not be consolidated. See the Console for details. To consolidate clips, please transcode them to a natice compression type first."

Transcoding will then generate new clips which I have to cut in anyways. 

Pat Horridge:

Transcode to offline. Edit. The re-mount the AMA volumes and then re-link the sequence to the AMA sources (this may require manually taing the transcoded media offline for that step until such time that Avid give us a user control over forcing links to AMA only)

I'm a little confused at your process here. Do you mean - AMA linking the individual gopro files at the upres stage and then relinking them to the sequence? 

MC 6.0.1, Nitris DX, ISIS 5000, Quicktime 7.7.1 Windows 7 Professional, Intel(r) Xeon(r)3.33 GHz, 12.0GB RAM, 64 bit Operating system. [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Dec 7 2012 5:58 PM In reply to

Why decompose the sequence? You don;t need to just make a copy and work with that.

You can't consolidate non native resolutions so you need to Transcode those. (again asked Avid for an option to consolidate what can be consolidated and for clips that can't then Transcode but for now you have to do it as two steps)

Consolidating the sequence and then transcoding the remaining (if you select a resolution that matches the consolidated media you can skip those clips) sequence will do the transcodes in sequence so no cutting in needed.

No at the final uprez stage we are re-mounting the AMA sources (into a new bin if need be) to be sue they are all accessible to MC and then re-linking the sequence.

I only ever have to manually re-cut in clips if I have an odd error and that would be just a few clips at a time.

If you get AMA workflows to work right it's really quick and really easy.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Multiple systems: Symphony V7.0.3 & Resolve Plus FCP... [view my complete system specs]

Pat Horridge
    Technical Director, Trainer, Avid Certified Instructor, ACSR, Apple Certified Support Professional 10.6

Avid MC V7 Background Transcode Demo  Avid MC V7 DMF Demo

VET      Production    Editing     Digital Media    Blu-ray    DVD
    T +44 (0)20 7505 4701 | F +44 (0)20 7505 4800 | E pat@vet.co.uk |
    www.vet.co.uk | Lux Building 2-4 Hoxton Square  London N1 6US

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Fri, Dec 7 2012 6:29 PM In reply to

I would just import the clips (the old-fashioned way) at whatever low-res, do the cut, then Batch Import on the final Seq to up-res.  

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Fri, Dec 7 2012 6:48 PM In reply to

• Mario
    • Not Ranked
    • New York
    • Posts 9
    • Points 125

Kenton.VanNatten:

I would just import the clips (the old-fashioned way) at whatever low-res, do the cut, then Batch Import on the final Seq to up-res.  

That would be amazing, but the problem is storage and time - I have up to 600hours worth of footage. Importing will take a very very very long time. Plus, when it comes to Upres, the batch-imports will import all of the media. Since we are outputting to DNXHD 220X, a 1 hour clip can take up as much as a 200 gigs worth of space. 

• Fri, Dec 7 2012 6:59 PM In reply to

• Mario
    • Not Ranked
    • New York
    • Posts 9
    • Points 125

Pat Horridge:

Consolidating the sequence and then transcoding the remaining (if you select a resolution that matches the consolidated media you can skip those clips) sequence will do the transcodes in sequence so no cutting in needed.

No at the final uprez stage we are re-mounting the AMA sources (into a new bin if need be) to be sue they are all accessible to MC and then re-linking the sequence.

Sorry to be a bother... when you mention "consolidating and then transcoding the sequence" at what point do I do this? Do I Cons/Trans at my lower resolution sequence after I place it in my 1080 59 project for Upres? And then Relink to my original media files? 

• Mon, Jun 3 2013 8:41 AM In reply to

• monica660
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jun 3 2013
    • Posts 3
    • Points 10

The most compatible video codec for Avid editing is DNxHD. You can have a try to trenscode your GoPro videos to DNxHD MOV. It will be easier for you to edit the videos in Avid.

Here is a tutorial for you:

http://www.brorsoft.com/how-to/convert-transfer-gopro-hero3-mp4-files-to-avid-media-composer6-mac.html

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

Avid Technology, Inc. brands:
M-Audio  |   Sibelius  |   Pinnacle Systems  |  

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller