Latest post Thu, Dec 6 2012 5:31 PM by funckdren. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Dec 5 2012 12:47 AM

Boris Pan and Zoom external file is worse.

Hello,

I wish to use Boris Pan and Zoom for some stills animations for the rotation function and Avid pan and zoom for the rest. The Avid's pan and zoom's Target: External file works flawlessly and links up to the Hi-Res photo, but the Boris Pan and Zoom's source: External File seems to give me a very poor image quality. I did a side by side test of the two effects using the same target photo with the same slug, just to make sure that it was a Boris problem, not a poor photo/yellow vs green monitor/ etc. Here is a screenshot of the Boris on the left and Avid on the right.

As you can see, the Avid pan scan is doing it right so I'm wondering if there are settings i'm missing from Boris. For the effect editor on Boris I've set Source: External File, Aspect Ratio: Square and that's all. I thought this was all that was necessary (based on my search on other posts and tutorials etc)

Thanks for any and all help!

Elliott

Media Composer 6 Intel Core i7 2.00GHz 4GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M Windows 7 Home Premium WORK: MC 6.0 2 x 2.4 GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon "Westmere"... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Dec 5 2012 4:45 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 12,030
    • Points 143,290

Re: Boris Pan and Zoom external file is worse.

Lots of uncertified things in your specs, I would recommend doing a render and export out a file to make sure it´s not a previewing error cause of those specs.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW W8,1 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas

• Wed, Dec 5 2012 4:55 AM In reply to

Hey Mjolnarn,

Thanks for the reply. But as you can see in the screenshot image in the original post (unless it's unviewable) and the description of my problem, I wouldn't think it is a previewing error due to low specs. If it were, the Avid pan and zoom's external target would look just as bad. Unless you are saying that Boris uses significantly more juice to link to the same photo? 

Thanks

Media Composer 6 Intel Core i7 2.00GHz 4GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M Windows 7 Home Premium WORK: MC 6.0 2 x 2.4 GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon "Westmere"... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Dec 5 2012 5:02 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 12,030
    • Points 143,290

Elliott Choi:

I wouldn't think it is a previewing error due to low specs.

We would know when you have exported those files Smile

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW W8,1 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas

• Wed, Dec 5 2012 9:11 AM In reply to

Hi Elliott,

There are render quality control drop-down menus in the BCC effect.  What quality setting is set?

ciao,
    Carl

Media Composer | Software (8.2) w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 8.1 Pro 64, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Dec 5 2012 3:52 PM In reply to

Hey Carl,

The quality dropdown settings are:

Draft Mode: Unchecked

Method (UpScale Only): Standard

Sharpness: 0

Softness: 50

Reduce Flicker: Off

Video safe colors: Unchecked

On a sidenote for mjolnarn, I've tested the Boris pan and zoom on another computer we have with the same photo, and the target file appears Hi-Res. These are his specs.

Boris Continuum AVX 7.0

Avid Media Composer 5.5.2

Running Mac OS 10.6.8

Mac Pro 2.66 4-Core Xeon

8GB 1066 Ram

GeForce GT 120 512MB Ram

I've checked to make sure we have the same Source and Quality dropdown settings in the effect editor.

My work computer is 2 x 2.4 8-core with 6GB RAM and ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB RAM running Mac OS 10.7.3

My computer specs are definitely better overall, but I am running MC 6.0 with Boris Continuum AVX 8.0

I'm wondering if perhaps the combination of OS 10.7.3 with MC 6 with my version of Boris is causing it to work funny?

Thanks,

Elliott

• Wed, Dec 5 2012 4:05 PM In reply to

Elliott Choi:
    The quality dropdown settings are:

Method (UpScale Only): Standard

Does it get any better if you change it to Magic Sharp or Magic Smooth?

Media Composer | Software (8.2) w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 8.1 Pro 64, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Dec 5 2012 4:16 PM In reply to

No, It still has a pixelated look with rough edges. Similar to a 600x600 photo blown up to 1920x1080.

The original photo is 5488 x 7808 btw, but I'm somewhat doubtful that this is a photo that's too large since Avid Pan and Zoom can link to it no problem.

• Wed, Dec 5 2012 4:30 PM In reply to

As a sanity cherck I would open the photo in Avids Pan and Zoom with render quality set to Acid Hiogh Quality and see what that looks like when rendered.

Please make Enter Slip and Enter Slide mode selection available for mapping (to buttons or KB) via the Command Palette.

• Wed, Dec 5 2012 5:07 PM In reply to

Hey AndrewAction,

Thanks for joining in trying to solve this confusing thing.

I have done the sanity check with Avid Pan and Zoom with Hi Qual setting and it works great with Avid Pan and Zoom, but i'm hoping Boris would work for its rotation and external target function...

Ps. if anyone would like a render export I've done showing Boris vs Avid pan and zoom to help understand what Boris might be doing, I can send a link to the small video via vimeo or such.

Thanks,

Elliott

• Wed, Dec 5 2012 5:53 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 12,030
    • Points 143,290

Elliott Choi:

No, It still has a pixelated look with rough edges. Similar to a 600x600 photo blown up to 1920x1080.

The original photo is 5488 x 7808 btw, but I'm somewhat doubtful that this is a photo that's too large since Avid Pan and Zoom can link to it no problem.

About the worst comment I know of is " works for me " but I did a 150 still montage just a week ago with 6,50,1 and BCC Pan & Zoom that looked great, about the same size of pictures that you have and also some that I had to rotate 90 degrees.

Worth to mention is that scaling and sharpness settings aren´t affecting anything as long as you don´t resize above the broadcast 1920 x 1080 limits, that means that you should be able to upresize that picture more than 4 times before those settings are affecting anything.

If you still have probs i´ll pic out a preset from my bin and send it to you for tests.

Tomas

• Wed, Dec 5 2012 7:34 PM In reply to

Update:

I have sent a support email to Boris and they will try to recreate the problem and/or find a solution. In the meantime, thank you all very much for helping me on this issue!

And Mjolnarn, it would be great if you could send any preset. I'm willing to try out all tests to get this issue fixed asap.

Cheers,

Elliott

• Wed, Dec 5 2012 7:55 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 12,030
    • Points 143,290

The Boris support is great Elliot, I´m sure that you are going to send presets to eachother now to find out if it is a bug or workflow issue.

To not disturb those tests I´ll wait a while to send my presets if it is ok with you, you can copy and paste this post as info to Boris support if you want to, happy to help both them and you with testing this if they want me to.

Tomas

• Wed, Dec 5 2012 8:25 PM In reply to

I would suggest posting your problem in the Complete Your Suite Forum where Dirk from Boris is more likely to see it.

Include a link to this thread so he can see what has been discussed already.

Please make Enter Slip and Enter Slide mode selection available for mapping (to buttons or KB) via the Command Palette.

• Thu, Dec 6 2012 5:31 PM In reply to

• funckdren
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Boston, MA
    • Posts 327
    • Points 4,435

I would also check your render settings in Media Creation tool. I was once baffled by crappy Pan and Zoom image and noticed that my render settings were set at DV25. Of course, that was in an SD project, but thought I'd mention that affects image quality even if your Boris settings are right.

Mac Pro Nehalem 8-Core 2.93GHz, Media Composer 6.5.4.1, Mac OS 10.7.5, 24GB RAM, Mojo DX, CalDigit RAID card, Internal 6TB RAID5, External 6TB RAID5 ... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller