Latest post Thu, May 9 2013 9:30 AM by mitchu. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Dec 1 2012 10:08 PM

• hannahs
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 1 2012
    • Posts 11
    • Points 130

Moving files to new hard drive without breaking existing projects

I am working on a documentary project with several hard drives.  Two of them are: #1 is for the main media composer projects along with their corresponding footage, music, animations, etc. and #2 contains all of my interview footage (AMA linked)

The interview hard drive works like so.  It contains all of the footage (AMA) organized into folders with one Media Composer project with every file marked and clipped up by subject, take, etc.  I "open the bins" from this project into the projects on Hard drive #1 when I use them in a sequence. 

I just got a new hard drive with USB 3 (called #3) and would like to transfer all the interviews from my old hard drive (it is getting short on room and is USB 2) to the new one (#3).

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this "correctly" (efficiently)?  I am considering moving the files (AMA) to the new hard drive, moving the bins into a project on the new hard drive and re-linking the clips to point to the new hard drive instead of the old.  My main concern is whether anything will be broken in my timelines on hard drive #1.

My question is, how would I move all the interviews to a new hard drive without breaking my sequences on hard drive #1.  This may not be the best approach for accomplishing this so I would appreciate any feedback.

I am using Media Composer 6 on a Windows 7 64-bit operating system.

Update: I am using Media Composer 6 on a Windows 7 64-bit operating system.

• Sun, Dec 2 2012 1:14 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,328
    • Points 53,495

Re: Moving files to new hard drive without breaking existing projects

I cannot answer in the guarantee of media relinking certainty you require, the simplest way for me has been to quickly create a timeline and mixdown the interviews on the new drive for safetys sake, in the event that the best laid plans...

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 8.4. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 15/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Sun, Dec 2 2012 2:32 PM In reply to

To clarify, you're replacing drive #2 with drive #3?  If so, simply copy everything from drive to drive, keeping everything at the same level in th new drive. Once the copy is complete, remove the old drive, and keep it until you're satified that copy was sucessful, and all elements are in tact.

When Media Composer launches, it looks for all valid media databases and loads them.  During this process, volume names, drive letters, etc are all ignored.  Avid looks straight into media folders and sees the database files.  As you will have made no changes to the contents of the media fiolders, the original media dfatabases will still be accurate and valid.

Your Master Clips and Sequences should relink automatically.  Worst case, you can delete the media database files (msm's) in each media folder, and they will rebuild automatically on next launch.

"... #1 is for the main media composer projects along with their corresponding footage, music, animations, etc. ..."

I assume you're not having performance issues, but having projects and media on the same volume is not recommended or sipported.  It can cause "head contention" or competition for the drive's read-write heads to be in two places at the same time.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Sun, Dec 2 2012 2:40 PM In reply to

• Tom Pearson
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 1 2007
    • Los Angeles CA / Minneapolis MN
    • Posts 2,165
    • Points 23,235

are you having any issues with lag time of the usb drives? say loading clip thumbnails  in bins or sluggish operation  and are you in hd

Mac Pro 3.5 gig 6 core 64 gig ram D700 radons with ssd os drive with a 20 tb raid, Artist Mix and Artist color Artist control [view my complete system specs]

Tom Pearson

Director/Writer Big Picture Films

Sound Designer/Sound Editor Hollywood Sounds

WWLD

• Tue, Dec 4 2012 2:09 PM In reply to

• hannahs
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 130

Thanks for the help. In answer to Tom's question, I haven't noticed any problems in loading bins, etc. though playback has at times (not consistant) had a problem on some clips in the timeline (slow and choppy). So far what I HAD been doing, was placing an empty Avid FX Filter over the top which forces the clip to render.  After that, no problem whatsoever.

The project is in 1080p 30fps.  USB 3.0 obviously has a much higher speed than USB 2 which was one of the reasons I was moving my interviews to the new hardrive.  

I am interested in Randall's comment about not having media and projects on the same drive.  I will take a look at that.  Thanks for the advice and help. 

• Tue, Dec 4 2012 2:25 PM In reply to

hannahs:
    I am interested in Randall's comment about not having media and projects on the same drive.

The reason being that a drive will quickly become overtaxed when trying to run and manage both the application itself and the media stream fragments. The result will be an increasing amount of performance and response time errors. It is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED to never write media files to the system C: drive. Media files should be written to a separate drive(s), either internal, external or a RAID array.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Dec 4 2012 3:00 PM In reply to

• hannahs
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 11
    • Points 130

One clarification, I don't use the local system C: drive for anything related to my projects.  Everything is working on an external hardrive to allow flexibility between computers. the media and project files are together on an external hardrive.  Does that make a difference?  Thanks for the help and sorry for the confusion.

• Tue, Dec 4 2012 3:12 PM In reply to

It would be best for you to use the external drives as a conduit for the purpose of transferring project files between systems by copying the latest .avb bin files to keep the project updated as you move to another platform. Keep the specific project folder in the master "Avid Projects" folder that Avid creates on the system C: drive and navigate to that folder location in the select project windows when opening and running the project on either system. Keep the "Avid MediaFiles" folder on the external drive for ease of transfer. That way, you'll be running the project off the C: drive and the media from the media drive on either system.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sun, Dec 9 2012 3:43 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,388
    • Points 97,040

What I have always done is placed a shortcut on my desktop to the Avid projects folder.  Then, if and when I need to move any project(s) to a new system, I simply copy the project folders from there along with any media from my media drives to an external drive.

That shortcut makes it a lot simpler than either trying to manage project data myself or track the more or less arcane Avid/Windows folder structure.  It's also useful for doing backups, too.

But I can only reinforce what others here have said.  Do not, repeat NOT put your project data on any drive used for media.  It can increase the load on Media Composer enormously.

Finally, if you haven't already done so, search out MDV.  It's only available for Windows, but it makes copying or backing up media on a per project basis a breeze.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Dec 9 2012 3:19 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,628
    • Points 60,470

jwrl:

But I can only reinforce what others here have said.  Do not, repeat NOT put your project data on any drive used for media.  It can increase the load on Media Composer enormously.

I've never heard this. Can you offer a technical explanation as to why this would be?

Thx

*edit*

Let me clarify my question. I understand that media should not be kept on the system drive. My question is why I shouldn't place my project files on the same fast drive (external) that I use for my Avid media?

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 18.12.1 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2019 | Sapphire 2019 | Mocha Pro 2019 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Sun, Dec 9 2012 3:42 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

BarkinMadd:

jwrl:

I've never heard this. Can you offer a technical explanation as to why this would be?

I have seen errors when doing this Steve, had a project folder on my external Raid 5 where I also have my Avid Mediafiles and got an error message at the initial open up project when Avid wanted to search for the media at the same time it opened up bins.

Nowadays I have my bins on my internal Raid 1, I have no Avid Mediafolders on that drive.

Worth to mention is that the attic works well when using this workflow .

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Sun, Dec 9 2012 3:52 PM In reply to

Really, you've never heard that? It's quite the mantra in Avid circles.  If Avid needs to access an element of the project, e.g., project settings, and at the same time needs media to play, it doesn't matter how fast the drive is.  The heads can only be in one place at a time, and the buffer may mot handle it.  It's called "Head Contention".  If you're not having issues then don't sweat it.  The advice given here, especiallly by myself as an engineer, are "Best Practices".  Might be overkill, but never hurts, and typically always helps.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    (wwld)

• Sun, Dec 9 2012 3:58 PM In reply to

"... My question is why I shouldn't place my project files on the same fast drive (external) that I use for my Avid media? ..."

The technical term is "Head Contention".  Even on a "fast" drive, there can be issues.  If Media Composer needs project data at the same time as media, the disc heads can only be in one place at a time.  even with the larger buffers, the process may have to choose, and this may result in dropped frames.

Oops, iPad crashed, didn't know if it went through.  Oh well.

(wwld)

• Sun, Dec 9 2012 4:30 PM In reply to

BarkinMadd:
    My question is why I shouldn't place my project files on the same fast drive (external) that I use for my Avid media?

Steve:

You can keep your project files on the media drive for the purposes of back up storage or as a conduit for moving project files from one stand alone platform to another, no problem. But when it comes time to work on the project, copy the project folder from the media drive into the master "Avid Projects" folder on the system drive and navigate to it there when opening from the select project window, NOT from the media drive.

Consider this. Avid NLE software is some of the most demanding that has ever been written for a desktop computer environment. It will push your computer right to the edge of it's performance limits and (as we have all discovered at one time or another) sometimes beyond it - CRASH! If you take that drive and add to those demands the even harder demands of creating, storing, retrieving, cueing, and seamless realtime playback of various media stream fragments, the drive will quickly become overtaxed and various performance and response time related issues will start to pile up on you.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sun, Dec 9 2012 9:49 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,628
    • Points 60,470

Thanks guys - I'll try moving my project folders to my system drive and see if I notice any difference. It may be that the occasional hiccup here and there was due to this 'head contention'. I'll let you know if I notice any obvious difference.

Camera(s) PXW-X70, HDR-FX1, Hero 6 Black | MC 18.12.1 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2019 | Sapphire 2019 | Mocha Pro 2019 | Titler Pro 6 | Windows 10 Pro x64... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller