Latest post Tue, May 30 2017 12:03 PM by Phil Norris. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Nov 9 2012 5:57 PM

Interplay in Mac world, Bins, etc.

Hello

I work in a post TV enviroment and we recently switched from FCP to MC. We have 4 stations in our department and many more throughout the company. We are on ISIS and Interplay. We are on the latets versions of all software.

We do a lot of green screen work and have many L3's. In my particular show(I work on a 20 episode long form doc)I have built over 50 green screens and keep them ina particular bin. I have also created over 50 L3's in AE which I have imported and keep in a particular bin.

To save time we have simply copied and pasted bins that are used over and over, i.e. interviews, broll, etc. into each project(101-120) and then populated them with the new material for that particular show. We have also copied and pasted the bins that contain the keys for the green screens and the L3's from the previous episode into the new one, i.e. 108 bins into 109, so that we always have the most current keys and L3's as the shows expand and add new guests and repeat others. We do the copy/past at the finder level. We do not have any problems with this type of workflow but I have had people suggest to me that this is not the proper way to go about it. We have also been told NOT to open bins from another project so...

I would like comments on whether or not anyone else is doing episodic TV and what your workflow is and any comments on how we are coing things.

I should also mention that we are offlining with H264 then going through a restore(uprez) process to DNX145.

TIA

AT

Filed under: ,
  • Fri, Nov 9 2012 6:43 PM In reply to

Re: Interplay in Mac world, Bins, etc.

"... but I have had people suggest to me that this is not the proper way to go about it ..."

Although your workflow gets the job done, you're not really taking advantage of Interplay.  Ideally, the projects should start out with minimal bins.  This keeps the project size down, and in turn, makes MC run smoother/longer without issues.  Then, as editors need various assets, they should use the Interplay Window to search & select the elements they require, and check those out.

... we are offlining with H264 then going through a restore(uprez) process to DNX145 ..."

Same here, kinda sorta.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Fri, Nov 9 2012 7:24 PM In reply to

I see. But the amount of assets that we have to access is beyond belief and we are under very tight time constraints in which to get an episode done so I figured having the assets you use on a regular basis in every show, it would just be easier to have them on hand to start with. We do use Interplay to pull in our interviews, broll etc for every new episode. I hope I am being clear as you are being very helpful.

I have a couple of other questions for you: Doing things the way we are doing them...it is not in anyway going to hinder Interplay, is it?

And what about editing directly from interplay? I have said that that is NOT a good workflow...that you would want to bring your asset into a bin in your project as otherwise if you need to match back or find a particular clip you will have trouble doing so as the asset is NOT in your project but rather in the vast databank of interplay.

I should also state that when I set up a project I do have minimal bins...the ones that I copied into it containing the Keys and L3's and then folders for each of us working on the episode in which we each have our own bins for sequences, music, etc.

Thoughts Randall?

• Fri, Nov 9 2012 11:03 PM In reply to

Based on your large asset count, and short turn-around, that might be more efficient.

Working that way in itself is not a problem.  Just don't check in source bins more than once.

In MC, as far as I know, you must Check-Out clips from the Interplay Window to the local project.  However, in "Assist", you're basically working within the Imterplay Window, so no "Check-Out" process is required.

Over-all, your procees makes sense, based on your specific scenario.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Fri, Nov 16 2012 10:09 PM In reply to

• briMestone
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 18 2005
    • San Francisco
    • Posts 140
    • Points 1,570

Just curious. You mention something about L3. Are they importent Graphics with Alpha? or they Title tool generated L3.....

6 ISIS5000 split in two environments, 25 MC7+SYM NitrisDX, MacPro3,1 MacPro4,1 [view my complete system specs]

------

Ted Simbajon
    http://www.tedsimbajon.com

Head Janitor

• Sun, Nov 18 2012 3:37 PM In reply to

I've been told that using interplay and "file-open bin" is like Crossing the Streams.  It's bad.  It leads to access violations, locked bins, lost work, etc.

If there are a number of common elements that you need for all of your projects, you can make an Interplay Catalog with that material.  make it read only for your junior editors, and read/write for those responsible for updating the catalog.  then you can just drag from the interplay window into your bin, or just open the clip straight from interplay.

Leverage the power of the tools at your fingertips, rather than working on semi-clunky workflows from 10 years ago.

Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option Win7x64 Pro HP zBook 15" Laptop - 16GB RAM (2nd System) Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option - HP z420... [view my complete system specs]

The FunkyDragon 

Happy Editing!

• Tue, May 30 2017 12:03 PM In reply to

FunkyDragon:

I've been told that using interplay and "file-open bin" is like Crossing the Streams.  It's bad.  It leads to access violations, locked bins, lost work, etc.

It mentions in the manual that this is a bad idea - but it doesn't explain at all why. Knowing this would be a benefit for everybody concerned, because in some workflows it might just be OK to do it, eg. if you aren't using any particular service or function that has a particular problem with it.

Personally, I think it has something to do with the bin ID which is hardcoded into the binary of the .avb bin file itself. AFAIK 'open bin' does not change the ID of the bin, so when you check in this bin in a new project, even though you get an Interplay asset with a unique ID, you will probably have some metadata record somewhere in Interplay of the original bin ID as far as media composer is concerned - which might lead to the problems you describe in one of the Interplay modules or MC itself in a multiuser environment, but without a developer to confirm - I guess we'll never know what gets affected or why.

You can check in the same bin in different projects without hassle from Interplay - which might lead to a loopback type problem with people dragging stuff around via Interplay as MC won't let you open copies of the same bin in the same project.

I work in a multiuser environment and I create templates for seasonal programmes such as the OP describes with bins copied from 'template master' projects. We don't use Interplays catalog function as there would be just too many catalogs, plus we use catalogs for other things too.

I bundle intros, breakers, graphics, music, FX's etc into new projects with a python/django web-app I made which creates a project automatically with a template that has all the metadata and settings such as Interplay Folder, media drive etc. already made. It is the quickest, cleanest and easiest way to work with templates in Interplay I've seen with Avid so far. My app supports multiple privileges/users/departments/programmes and allows users to create projects with one or more custom templates they can choose from or just make on the fly, but then again I'm changing the bin ID and date stamp in each of the bins used in the template to become unique.

I have had no problems at all as yet with this kind of workflow, and Interplay protects, deletes, moves, copies etc. assets from these template bins without any problems at all - as far as Interplay is concerned, they appear as unique as assets dragged down from the Interplay window - but with a fraction of the work involved finding and choosing the same assets every time you create a project.

One or two clicks and you are ready to edit with a complete set of bins and sequences pre-populated with all the necessary assets. This is a great benefit for new editors - as they don't even have to think what is necessary to begin - as it's all laid out for them.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller