Latest post Thu, Nov 8 2012 6:33 PM by Svenbox. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Nov 8 2012 2:31 PM

how get best super slomo from canon 5d MK II in MC

hi there,

shooting in PAL with the Mk II you have only 25 fps. i want to shoot & edit a nice short of cool slackline guys doing their tricks over a 600ft slackline..

will timewarp / fluid motion give me sufficient results or will i need twixtor?

can i get nice results without shooting more fps anyway?

any suggestions or workflow comments welcome!

thanks - martin

MC 8.20 iMac 3.4 GHz Intel i7 OSX 10.8.5 32 GIG RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 8 2012 6:33 PM In reply to

• Svenbox
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Germany
    • Posts 233
    • Points 2,975

Re: how get best super slomo from canon 5d MK II in MC

Careful Martin, Fluid Motion and Twixtor are very tricky.

I did a lot of testing, which ended in using a Phantom Flex.

You have to test that, because these plugins tend to do the funniest things, depending on the shot. The wider, the better the result, the closer the trickier it is. I.e. if an actor runs along a fence, all the straight lines he crosses will warp into the body.

Sometimes you can mask the funny areas, sometimes you can't.

The clearer the background, the better. I did some nice basketball stuff, but was looking to get blue sky in the background. Set the camera to 30fps, the more information you have, the better, or use a 7D and shoot 50 fps. Or get the Sony FS 700. It does 240 fps. Or RED EPIC, (300fps), the Phantom Miro is much cheaper than the flex, it does 1500 fps.

Be aware that you need flickerfree light if you shoot above 100fps. I did tons of slomo from 50-2500fps, it's a science in itself.

Anyway, test what you want to shoot and try. 

iMac pro, MC 2018.7.1 on 10.13.4., 32 Gb, 1Tb SSD, 12 Tb G-speed ext. RAID 1, [view my complete system specs]

Wat soll dä Quatsch?

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller