Latest post Sun, Oct 28 2012 6:58 PM by Larry Rubin. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Oct 28 2012 1:21 AM

• michy7896
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 18 2012
    • Posts 14
    • Points 190

Music on Avid

Hi everyone!

I have to do a project for class and I'm not sure how to get rid of the audio in the video clips I have and replace it all with a song? I'm not sure how to use the audio part of Avid yet haha i'm still new to this. Thanks!

• Sun, Oct 28 2012 1:48 AM In reply to

Re: Music on Avid

We'll need more detail to determine the best approach.

Where are you in the process?  Have all the clips already been ingested/imported into Avid?  Have you already created a sequence?  Do you want to replace just some, or all of the audio?

Based on your question, I'd suggest you look at the built-in Help, and search on "Editing Basics".  It's very thorough, and covers the entire process in detail.  It sounds like you need to focus on, "Understanding the Track Selector Panel."

Just curious, personal survey:  what school is this, and what level are you?  Is the instructor available for guidance?

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 & nVidia v331.65, 2TB Boot,... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Sun, Oct 28 2012 2:03 AM In reply to

• michy7896
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 14
    • Points 190

Well I have a bunch of subclips. I really am bad at this haha I'm not sure how to create a sequence? I think I was showed once but I really forgot. I haven't had Avid for too long maybe a month? This is my first semester doing classes at Academy of Art University and my teacher seems to always be busy and by the time he replies it's always when the project is due so i'm not exactly given much time to get help by him. =[

• Sun, Oct 28 2012 3:29 AM In reply to

michy7896:
    I really am bad at this haha I'm not sure how to create a sequence?

Wow.

michy7896:
    my teacher seems to always be busy and by the time he replies it's always when the project is due so i'm not exactly given much time to get help by him.

Wow again.  Have you tried reading the manual?  

I mean really?  Have you even bothered to look around in the interface to see if maybe there was something called "New Sequence" that you could click on and see what happens?  Or is it just easier to blame your too busy professor?  If I were your professor I would probably also not respond.    

First semester or not, take some initiative - you won't get far in any career field if you blame others for your lack of knowledge.   

MacPro dual 2.66GHz 6GB RAM nVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT Storage: 2TB G-Speed eS with controller card 3x1TB Hitachi SATA-II internals, various external FW/USB... [view my complete system specs]

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Sun, Oct 28 2012 3:56 AM In reply to

• michy7896
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 14
    • Points 190

I don't see why you have to be rude? I did click on that and it didn't work. I've been having trouble with Avid as in sometimes it won't work which i'm not sure why and is it my fault my professor is barely on? We literally just started using it so..

and to the first person who was helping me, yes I have a sequence. =]

• Sun, Oct 28 2012 4:42 AM In reply to

You have bins. Clips in the bins are your sources. Double click source clip loads in the source monitor. Drag through source footage, find an in point, press "I" on keyboard. Find an out point and press "O". Press "B" key. Sequence is created with that one single clip. Repeat process, activating tracks as needed for each edit and add an "I" on the sequence to position the next edit. That will get you started, and you should then take some time to watch tutorials created by another moderator here:

Basic Tutorials Series 1

Basic Tutorials Series 2

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sun, Oct 28 2012 4:50 AM In reply to

michy7896:
    ...my teacher seems to always be busy and by the time he replies it's always when the project is due so i'm not exactly given much time to get help by him.

That's quite an eyebrow raiser - so out of curiosity I must ask the question: exactly what role does your teacher play in your education? Is this a class that teaches in depth video editing, or does it just touch on editing as one of many visual art forms?

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sun, Oct 28 2012 8:27 AM In reply to

Hi,

michy7896:
    i'm still new to this

Avid has some free tutorials that go through the basics of how to make an edit.  They're worth a look when you're stuck and can't remember how to do something:

http://apps.avid.com/Get-trained-mc6/new-to-mc.html

Hope that helps.

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 8.9.4 w/Symphony option, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT 740M [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sun, Oct 28 2012 12:40 PM In reply to

• evansmalley
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Kansas City, MO (USA)
    • Posts 500
    • Points 6,370

Golly, Kenton... the guy's just trying to get some help! Maybe lighten up- please?

Avid's not the easiest thing to learn cold, michy... I suggest a ton of patience and all the tutorials you can watch. If it helps you feel less alone- I don't find the owner's manual all that well written- or helpful, myself. And that font is impossibly tiny! Fortunately, there's this dude named Douglas over in Japan! He's provided for free a ton of great and fun tutorials.

While you're getting used to editing sequences, I'd also recommend a handy trick called "Duplicate Sequence" which, like so many of Avid's functions, is easily performed with a Keyboard Shortcut. To duplicate a sequence, just press Cntl+D. The good thing about duping your sequence is that if you mess it up you can just go back to a previous version.  

You will get a lot of great help on this forum, like Larry's simple tip. Once you get used to it, Avid CAN fly like a breeze! It can be a huge pain, too. And you'll find that the guys here- CERTAINLY including Kenton(!)- are fantastically competent pros who will help you a lot! 

But you are going to have to do a lot to help yourself with the learning, too. It's only fair and considerate of these people's time. And if you're going to be doing a lot of music work, I'd definitely recommend a separate audio app. Media Composer is great for video, but compared to a good audio app I don't think it's very good at audio. Stops with every click- makes it ridiculous to set levels on the fly... 

Well, welcome to Avid michy! Don't be put off- Kenton was just having a crabby moment- but he's a good guy and knows his stuff! 

Avid Media Composer 5.0.4, Windows7 Pro 64 bit sp1, i7-960 Intel processor, 8 gig DDR3 RAM, SSD 64gig boot drive, Samsung F3 1TB D drive, nVidia Quadro... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Oct 28 2012 3:57 PM In reply to

• michy7896
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 14
    • Points 190

Larry: Thank you for the turtorials I will check those out right now! Well I'm taking two online classes because I can't afford to go all the way to San Fran right now but I will go for my second semester for sure. It seems my online teachers, I have two, the one I do the Avid with is also an on campus teacher which is why he never has time. I don't have any problem with my other teacher but I think she's on campus as well. The class i'm using Avid is a film editing class where we learn different kinds of editing in film and such but now we're editing our own. I just did a movie trailer on there and did well! I'm okay with the editing part it's just the audio i'm very confused about. Our new assignment was to create a music video with a file of clips we were given.

• Sun, Oct 28 2012 3:57 PM In reply to

• michy7896
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 14
    • Points 190

Thank you Carl! I will look at those now.

• Sun, Oct 28 2012 4:00 PM In reply to

• michy7896
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 14
    • Points 190

Oh yeah haha. I mean editing is not what i'm majoring in but it's a class we have to take at the school no matter what type of film major  you are. The manual is hard for me to understand especially the small writing! 

It's not like i'm not trying though trust me. I've tried everything I could I even tried to look up how to change the audio on video sites and such but I can't seem to find something direct which is why I came here hoping someone could help. I usually don't ask people because I normally figure it out myself but this audio part is hard for me. I've got the editing part down it's just the audio now.

I'll try the duplicate sequence now! Thank you for being understanding. I just need to learn this to finish the class. I'm not the only one in  the class having trouble either haha.

• Sun, Oct 28 2012 4:16 PM In reply to

As you state you are learning film editing, it will be interesting for you to know that the ancestor of Avid Media Composer is a mid-80's pre-ILM George Lucas invention called Editdroid. His purpose was to offer film editors a way to migrate away from the classic linear film editing room of physically cutting and assembling actual film clips, to the complete capture and assembly of feature films totally within the environment of a computer. So the system was very carefully modeled after the classic film editing suite, where you had cloth bins (on wheels) that contained film clips hanging from horizontal metal bars (notice that the bin icon represents that), and a virtual version of a multi-platter film editing table, such as a Steenbeck (the timeline) to give existing editors a common frame of reference in terminology. As you see, you have bins and clips in the bins just like the film world, and the timeline is a virtualized version of the Steenbeck, complete with filler tracks, slip-slide trimming and snubbing rollers, just like a Steenbeck. The system was eventually sold by Lucas to a small group of investors who took the product, formed a company called Avid, and developed it into Media Composer 1. The rest is history.

If you have the opportunity to do so, you should visit and explore a classic film editing suite, to help you appreciate Avid's roots and the singularly huge advantage it has over the classic world - non-destructive editing. Change your mind and the contents of the film without losing your mind. Unlike the linear world, you can build a 10 story building, then decide to remove and replace the 3rd floor with a taller or shorter 3rd floor, and NOT have floors 4 through 10 collapse and have to be built over again.

You should also know that Avid is by design very keyboard centric. Once you master the muscle memory of the extensive amount of Media Composer keyboard shortcuts, you will be amazed at the improvements in your level of creative productivity and momentum in your edit sessions.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sun, Oct 28 2012 4:36 PM In reply to

• michy7896
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 14
    • Points 190

Oh also my only real question I guess is how do I get the audio into Avid? All of the videos i've been watching show how to adjust the sound and audio which is good because now I know how to do  that but how would I get the music film into Avid? I try to open it like a bin but it won't allow me so i'm guessing there's another way?

• Sun, Oct 28 2012 4:37 PM In reply to

• michy7896
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 14
    • Points 190

Thank you  for that i'll look into it =D

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller