Latest post Tue, Sep 11 2012 10:59 PM by Jo. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Sep 10 2012 5:38 PM

• Jo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 26 2011
    • Berlin / Los Angeles
    • Posts 3
    • Points 35

Req: Sync Record Monitor to ext. Preview Monitor connected with 3rd party I/O

Ok, so AVID supports the use of 3rd party hardware to display/output video signals. This move is highly appreciated by a lot of new customers as they can switch to a new software and can further utilize their hardware. It's also a selling argument for AVID as well as the suppliers of 3rd party hardware.

Alas, there is one significant problem that makes this solution not so desirable after coming across the issue:

AVID's record-monitor, displayed on the computer monitor, is sync-wise ahead of any externally attached preview monitor. Set aside the latency of different displays the main latency obviously is generated in the different time AVID's MC or Symphony need sfor rendering the (internal) record monitor and hand over that same signal to the 3rd party I/O. Reported delays are between 1.5 up to 7 frames.

A (former) Competitive NLE has and adjustment to prolong the rendering of the internal record monitor signal to match it to the external preview - in AVID products there is no way to adjust this.

My today's talking at IBC on who can fix that only ended in a responsibility bounce between AVID and 3rd party companies. Figuring the processing way of such signals it's IMHO AVID's responsibility as there is no way for any external solution to grab videoframes ahead the time they get delivered by AVID's software.

This issue is already discussed in these forums (i.e.: http://community.avid.com/forums/p/104212/634483.aspx) as well as in other sources around the web. I understand that AVID's perspective is not only selling the software but potentially also their hardware. However, advertising the software like it supports 3rd party hardware in a productive way is kind of misleading if editing is not more like the experience you buy a car that only can drive straight.

Jo Hermann

filter MediaManagement

jo@filter-media.net

multiple Apple MacPro Machines, MC 6.0.3 - Symphony 6.0.3

MacOS 10.7.4 - Blackmagic Intensity and Multibridge Pro2 3rd party I/O, their latest drivers

bunch of MacPros, 10.6.8 - 10.7.4 even bigger bunch of hard drives [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 11 2012 10:38 PM In reply to

Re: Req: Sync Record Monitor to ext. Preview Monitor connected with 3rd party I/O

I don't have version 6 but there used to be a Desktop Play Delay setting to address this issue. Is it not there anymore?

MC 8.8.2 OSX 10.12.3 Quicktime 7.6.6 Nitris DX [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 11 2012 10:59 PM In reply to

• Jo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 26 2011
    • Berlin / Los Angeles
    • Posts 3
    • Points 35

Re: Req: Sync Record Monitor to ext. Preview Monitor connected with 3rd party I/O

James@Seamless:

I don't have version 6 but there used to be a Desktop Play Delay setting to address this issue. Is it not there anymore?

Hi James,

thanks for your input. The Desktop Play Delay setting you are refering to is for audio-video sync issues over FireWire only (Manual MC 6, p. 492) but does not work with professional 3rd party hardware:

Your Avid editing application uses a combination of hardware to provide for full audio and video playback capabilities. The use of an OHCI (Open Host Controller Interface) or a 1394 card to input and output DV signals along with the output to a computer’s desktop monitor and consumer audio chip could present playback sync issues.

If you do have 1394 selected from the Device menu, the Desktop Play Delay option lets you adjust the offset between audio and video playback on the Avid system.

Alas, the intially mentioned issue persists.

Best

Jo

bunch of MacPros, 10.6.8 - 10.7.4 even bigger bunch of hard drives [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller