Latest post Tue, Jul 4 2017 7:35 AM by loki. 25 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Aug 22 2012 6:15 PM In reply to

Re: Media Creation not seeing internal drive

eurostat:

User setting is a common one called 'Video" which all students use initially when learning.Havnt tried another user creation.

That sounds like it's from a previous MC version, it is important to create a new User setting for MC 6!

• Thu, Aug 23 2012 4:13 AM In reply to

• eurostat
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 15 2012
    • Posts 24
    • Points 340

Solved. Thanks everone for your suggestions.I think Oz Kola gave me the clue.All the drives were formatted when the new image was done but for some reason reformatting the miscreants again seems to have fixed the problem of the drive not showing up in Media Creation.

Im having other issues with AMA but that can wait till ive had more time to play with it,

Thanks again all.

• Thu, Aug 23 2012 4:48 PM In reply to

• Az Kola
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 16 2011
    • London, UK
    • Posts 275
    • Points 3,260

You welcome, I'm glad you got it fixed.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/azemkola [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, May 11 2013 5:52 AM In reply to

• eurostat
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 24
    • Points 340

Update .I know its been a while since last post on this issue but i just wanted to add an update that may be helpful to someone else experiencing these harddrive recognition issues.This applies to both internal and external harddrives.

We are now running V6.5.2 and this year all our students had to supply their own external USB 3.0 hardrives.Although i instructed them all on how to format them as NTFS it seems that some didnt listen and it just didnt work on others.

The problem has been that for a number of students when they go into 'settings'>media creation their external drive is not listed there as an option.After trying the 'alldrives' command in the console and checking drive permissions and format, i found that on some drives a quick reformat would fix the problem,BUT on some drives a quick reformat would not work , i had to do a full slow reformat.This has so far worked on all the problem hardrives.

• Sun, May 12 2013 2:06 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,385
    • Points 97,005

eurostat:
    on some drives a quick reformat would not work , i had to do a full slow reformat.
    A quicker way may be to use the disc manager to delete any partition(s) on the drive, create a new partition, then do a quick format.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, May 12 2013 11:40 AM In reply to

• eurostat
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 24
    • Points 340

Yes you are right,that did work on some drives.The problem though seems to be on drives originally factory formatted for Mac users and then 'quick formatted' into NTFS.

• Mon, May 13 2013 12:37 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,385
    • Points 97,005

eurostat:
    The problem though seems to be on drives originally factory formatted for Mac users and then 'quick formatted' into NTFS.
    I have this fantasy of a world where any drive can be accessed by any OS.  You don't have to know about HFS, nor FAT, nor NTFS, nor ext2, nor reiserfs, nor any other partitioning/file management system.  You simply plug the drive in and use it.

Oh well, it doesn't hurt to dream I guess.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 17 2013 12:41 AM In reply to

• eurostat
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 24
    • Points 340

jwrl,In my world that would be 'heaven on earth'.

• Fri, May 17 2013 1:02 AM In reply to

eurostat:
    i had to do a full slow reformat.

You probably don't need to do that. It is likely it was a GPT based format out of the box. Formatting it NTFS without "cleaning" will leave you a mutant file system.

Follow this and then format regularly through Disk Management.

MC 8.6.1, Windows 10, ASROCK X99M, Intel 5930K, Zotac GTX970, 32GB RAM, Transcend 512GB M.2 SSD & Dell U2713H. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt, OSX 10.10.5, MC... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 17 2013 4:25 AM In reply to

• eurostat
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 24
    • Points 340

Hi Dom,yes i didnt mention how i had to run the CMD interface to 'clean/remove' the GPT partition on those drives,but despite doing this to the Mac drives a couple of those drives still wouldnt't be seen in the Media Creation dialog until i did a full format.Dont know why.I wish i had taken note of which brand and model ext drives they were to see if there was any pattern or consistency.I was just glad to get them back and working.

• Tue, Jul 4 2017 7:35 AM In reply to

• loki
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 17 2012
    • Posts 27
    • Points 325

//e: Renaming the drive is a bad idea. Even though the drive will show up in media creation, you can save new titles on it, but it doesn't consolidate, instead gives error -1407 ... Funny thing is, if you rename it back again to the initial drive name, it'll show up, too, but with the same bugs.

MC 8.8.4 OSX 10.12.4 MacPro 6,1 [view my complete system specs]
Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller