Latest post Tue, Sep 11 2018 2:52 AM by Jose Perez. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Aug 7 2012 4:01 PM

• TIGER
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 28 2010
    • Posts 15
    • Points 190

clips wont play audio- but there's audio there

We're using a Mac computer with MC 5.5.2 on two computers. When we launch the project on one computer, a series of clips plays fine. But when we launch the same project on the other computer, there is no audio. All other clips play fine in the project.

We have checked the project and clip settings and there is nothing different about these series of clips or the way the MC5 is set up. We've gone into audio settings, audio project, and checked the sample and bit rates. We're moved the clips to a different drive to see if that would help-- nothing has helped. 

These clips we imported from a QT file, but are part of many clips we imported, the others playback fine. 

We have restarted AVID, the computer and reset the box and still no luck.

Any suggestions? 

• Tue, Aug 7 2012 4:08 PM In reply to

Re: clips wont play audio- but there's audio there

Tiger:

In the upper left hand corner of the timeline window, there is a timecode display. Next to the timecode display there is a triangle. Click it to reveal the enhanced audio track controls and look for the track power button (circle with a vertical line) - make sure it is active.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Aug 7 2012 4:16 PM In reply to

• TIGER
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 15
    • Points 190

Good suggestion, but we tried that and it is active.  Learned that problem the hard way before too...

• Tue, Aug 7 2012 4:21 PM In reply to

TIGER:
    When we launch the project on one computer, a series of clips plays fine. But when we launch the same project on the other computer, there is no audio.

Are you working in a shared server environment, like Unity? If not, on the computers where the audio seems to be missing, do you see audio in the audio tool meters? Have you set your timeline track color display to include "offline" so that offline clips will show in bright red?

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Aug 7 2012 5:28 PM In reply to

• TIGER
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 15
    • Points 190

We're not working in a shared server environment. We have all the media on a drive that we are bringing to the computers depending on where we're editing.

There is no audio showing up on the computer where the audio doesn't play. And there are no offiine clips. 

• Tue, Aug 7 2012 7:08 PM In reply to

If you activate audio waveforms on the computer where the audio doesn't play, do you see waveforms get plotted? If there are no waveforms, there is no audio content in the track.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Aug 7 2012 10:04 PM In reply to

• TIGER
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 15
    • Points 190

There's no waveforms. But the weird thing is when we open up the project on the other system we have audio on the clips. So it's some weird anomaly we've been unable to solve. Our work around was to export just the audio files from the other AVID and sync them in the system that's unable to play them.  Still not sure what the problem was, but at least we were able to save the edit day.

Any other thoughts to solve this mystery would be great.

• Tue, Aug 7 2012 11:52 PM In reply to

Check your timeline settings under the edit tab and make sure "show marked waveforms" is disabled.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Aug 8 2012 12:05 AM In reply to

What would be really strange and highly unusual would be for you to confirm that audio waveforms are not present in the timeline, yet with "offline" active in the timeline clip color display it indicates the clips are online (not showing as bright red). If there are no waveforms, the associated media is almost always offline. And you say that you confirmed the clip sample rates match the project sample rate, and that "always" is selected for "convert sample rates when playing"?

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Aug 8 2012 12:29 AM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,520
    • Points 64,055
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Check to see if there's a Avid MediaFiles folder on the boot disk of the computer that can play audio.  You might have split the audio and video media to different drives inadvertently.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Tue, Sep 11 2018 2:52 AM In reply to

• Jose Perez
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 11 2018
    • Posts 2
    • Points 10

I just had this same problem yesterday on 2 sessons and one I actually got a "file corrupt" type of error. I just grabbed the OMF from my dropbox again and delted the old one that the session was working off of. After I did this it worked again. 

• Tue, Sep 11 2018 2:56 AM In reply to

• Jose Perez
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 11 2018
    • Posts 2
    • Points 10

I had issues yesterday with this and I took the OMF in my project folder, deleted it and then copied it over again from my dropbox. The audio now plays again. I have done this on 2 separate sessions and the problem has been solved. 

Also, I tried to reply to the posts on quick reply but I didn't see that it posted so if you see 2 from me on the same thing sorry about that. I'm new here. 

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller